News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Town & Country Club in Saint Paul, Minnesota has approved a comprehensive renovation masterplan developed by architect Jeff Mingay and the club’s long-time course superintendent Bill Larson.Town & Country Club is one of the oldest courses in America still playing golf on its original site. The club hosted the first ever round of golf in the state in 1893. The five-hole course was expanded to 18 in 1907 by club member Ben Schurmeier. Scottish-native Robert Foulis also had a hand in the course’s development, serving as the club’s resident professional in the late 1890s. Schurmeier’s 1907 layout was modified in the 1920s and remains largely intact today.
“We’re definitely not aiming to strictly restore the course to a certain period in its history,” Mingay explained. “However, we’re certainly inspired by history. Town & Country Club has a treasure trove of historical materials that’s allowed us to study the course’s unique evolution and provide aesthetic inspiration. In the process of developing our plan, we’ve effectively determined what’s worked over the years, what hasn’t and why. As a result, the plan respects the course’s heritage but will also serve the club in a contemporary manner, well into the future.”
Duininck Golf will carry out construction work during a three-month project beginning in August 2024 and all 18 holes are expected to reopen for play in spring 2025.
Read more:
https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/town-country-club-approves-jeff-mingay-renovation-masterplan

Town & Country Club approves Jeff Mingay renovation masterplan

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Re: Town & Country Club in Saint Paul, MN(1893/1907,Ben Schurmeier) Reno
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 10:56:30 AM »
One more reason I need to get to the Twin Cities next summer to see a before and after on this one...

I was hoping to get back there anyway, and now I have another reason to do so.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 11:51:19 AM »
T&C has made great progress little-by-little over the last seven or eight years.

It has gone from a place that I didn't really love to a place where I really enjoy playing.

A bunch of cool holes, some really good greens. And one of the most random way to end the golf course - there are only two par 4s on the back nine and 13 is the last par 4. Back nine goes 4-3-5-4-3-5-5-5-3.

I'm looking forward to see what Mingay does on No. 5. It is the weirdest/weakest hole on the course.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 12:52:04 PM »
Scottish-native Robert Foulis also had a hand in the course’s development, serving as the club’s resident professional in the late 1890s.
[/size][/color]
[/size]That's going to trigger some people[/color]
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back