News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Re: Monumental MUSSELBURGH OLD
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2023, 09:39:48 PM »
Where else can one find such pleasurable excitement for a mere 12 quidI am contemplating putting a trip together featuring a six open rota course for a riduculously low buy in and waiting for the reaction.PricelessGreat wrap Sean; I am glad our musings turned out so well
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2023, 03:24:05 AM »
Lovely jubbly.
IIRC, there was a GCA outing to MO maybe ten years ago. The FBD memory fails me as I can’t remember who was all there and I seem to have no photos to assist.
If you were one of the participants, firstly I apologise and secondly can you put your hand up and remind me. Maybe DMac? Maybe Carlton?
Help!
F.

There was this one in 2007!  I played golf with Andrew Mitchell this week after a decade gap, and that game with Alfie Ward and everyone playing Hickories was recalled.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,28615.msg551216.html#msg551216

Thanks for the memories, Sean. 
I was kicked off it in 2006 by overstaying my welcome, accompanied by cheers and boos for the stewards from the crowd gathering for the evening race meet.  And when Tee Bags and I pitched up after our game at Gullane in 2021 we were turned away for the same reason.  I hope both 'courses' prosper and the Council keeps them going. Can't wait to get back.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Monumental MUSSELBURGH OLD:1-5
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2023, 03:52:36 AM »

There's a book in the works about the Parks, I just hope it does them justice.

Approach to the two-tier 6th green.

I've always thought this green was the 'template' for the 7th at Worpledon where Willie is credited with the greens and bunkering by the Club.

https://www.worplesdongc.co.uk/hole_7
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2023, 06:59:14 AM »
There was this one in 2007! 
Sadly the pictures from that thread aren't coming through.  I see we were joined by cinematic and cricketing royalty.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2023, 07:58:05 AM »
Lovely jubbly.
IIRC, there was a GCA outing to MO maybe ten years ago. The FBD memory fails me as I can’t remember who was all there and I seem to have no photos to assist.
If you were one of the participants, firstly I apologise and secondly can you put your hand up and remind me. Maybe DMac? Maybe Carlton?
Help!
F.

I have a very hazy recollection. Was it that time we had the Clan GCA gathering at Gullane ? Not sure when that was but I recall an evening spent in the Old Clubhouse overlooking the kids course at Gullane.

Niall

Michael Graham

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2023, 10:57:12 AM »
Lovely jubbly.
Help!
F.

I have a very hazy recollection. Was it that time we had the Clan GCA gathering at Gullane ? Not sure when that was but I recall an evening spent in the Old Clubhouse overlooking the kids course at Gullane.

Niall

Don’t know if it attained full on Clan GCA status but I remember some of us played MO the weekend of the 2016 Ryder Cup. NB and maybe Kilspindie or G3 too??

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2023, 05:35:16 AM »
Lovely jubbly.
Help!
F.

There was this one in 2007!  I played golf with Andrew Mitchell this week after a decade gap, and that game with Alfie Ward and everyone playing Hickories was recalled.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,28615.msg551216.html#msg551216

I was kicked off it in 2006 by overstaying my welcome, accompanied by cheers and boos for the stewards from the crowd gathering for the evening race meet.  And when Tee Bags and I pitched up after our game at Gullane in 2021 we were turned away for the same reason.  I hope both 'courses' prosper and the Council keeps them going. Can't wait to get back.

Whitty had the sound idea of a game of golf followed by an evening at the track. Sounds splendid to me.

Wardo, my ticket says £11.60. Looking at the website, senior ticket is £10.50. I think we were rolled!

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 05:38:31 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2023, 04:23:58 PM »
Lovely jubbly.
Help!
F.

Whitty had the sound idea of a game of golf followed by an evening at the track. Sounds splendid to me.

Wardo, my ticket says £11.60. Looking at the website, senior ticket is £10.50. I think we were rolled!

Ciao
Must have been our Yankee accents! 🤣
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2023, 04:26:42 PM »
We had an outing in Lexington, KY a few years back. Golf in the AM, followed by an early evening at Keenland Racetrack. It was a glorious day!!! 👍👍
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

Re: Monumental MUSSELBURGH OLD:1-5 New
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2023, 02:32:02 AM »

There's a book in the works about the Parks, I just hope it does them justice.

Approach to the two-tier 6th green.

I've always thought this green was the 'template' for the 7th at Worpledon where Willie is credited with the greens and bunkering by the Club.

https://www.worplesdongc.co.uk/hole_7

Spangles

I am fairly certain Worpy’s 8th was fashioned after Pandy. Abercromby built a crude two tier green. I think Roger Wethered improved the green to the masterpiece that is now in play.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 02:29:42 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back