News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Future Irish courses?
« on: October 20, 2023, 11:35:48 AM »
Hello.  We are already planning our trip to Ireland for June 2025.  With the Open coming, it will be a neat time to be at Portrush. 

Was wondering if there are any courses currently under construction or that have been proposed in Ireland that might be open by then and worth taking a look?  The newest one we know of is St. Patrick's Links and we will hit that one.  Any others?

Thanks.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

Re: Future Irish courses?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 12:33:36 PM »
Have heard a rumor that Royal Portrush is going to upgrade the Valley course to the tune of getting it into the top 25 of GBI.  Anyone have any more information about this?
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 12:44:10 PM »
During the boom times, Ireland was building about 5 or 6 new courses every year. Then came the 2008 crash.

The next new course to be built was by me; the new nine at Carne in 2013.

After that, the only new courses I can think of are Hog’s Head and St. Patrick’s, neither of which was on a new site.

There might be a couple of courses bubbling under (like the Dana Fry course in Wexford) but I seriously doubt you will see something new by 2025.

As always, there are some renovations. The Valley course is great. I have seen the plans for the re-do. It is the first time someone has mentioned a Top-25 GB&I target. If that is coming from the club (I really hope not), then it explains a lot. Goodbye the course we knew and loved!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 07:28:23 PM »
Ally,

How do you rate the re-modelled Jameson / Portmarnock Links? Do you think it'll go up a few notches in the rankings. It was never a course you'd recommend to visitors, but that's because there was a lot of tough competition on the East coast.

EDIT: The 2024 rates are steep;  :o  from €220, April to October. It must be good.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 07:33:21 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back