News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Quintessential requirements of a links course …. quiz
« on: August 07, 2023, 03:56:39 PM »
Some might suggest all sorts of features to include on a list of the essential requirements for a course to be considered as a true links.

I suggest there are only really four (sic) and all must be located so close to the course that a shot struck from the course may land on each and every one of the four features. They are -

1) Alongside a beach
2) Next to a public road or public footpath
3) Adjacent to a railway line
4) Bordering a caravan site.

How many courses can you name that meet all four requirements and can thus be considered as true links?

:) :) :)
Atb

« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 03:38:18 AM by Thomas Dai »

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Essential requirements of a links course …. quiz
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 05:28:44 PM »
Does the railway line have to be active?  Or does a previous railway line count?
If a previous railway line counts then Cabot Links in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia scores on all four counts.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 06:08:35 PM »
Does the railway line have to be active?  Or does a previous railway line count?
If a previous railway line counts then Cabot Links in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia scores on all four counts.
Wayne,

Good question. Ballybunion used to have a railway line and a caravan. It still has a beach and a public road.
Tim Weiman

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 03:46:28 AM »
Well that rules out most of the Open venues I'd have thought.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 04:24:33 AM »
For quiz purposes existing situations only.
Feel free though to mention once-upon-time examples for historical purposes.

England ….?
Scotland ….?
Wales …….?
N Ireland …?

Atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 04:32:08 AM »
I think a neighbouring cemetery is quite important too  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 05:02:35 AM »
I've always maintained an ideal golf course has a neighbouring Night Club, Retirement Home and Cemetry.  :)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 07:05:16 AM »
Many a course has three but all four .... Royal Troon in Scotland, Castlerock in N Ireland, Tenby in Wales, Dawlish Warren in England.
There are more ……
Atb

Michael Felton

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 06:27:12 PM »
How adjacent does the railway line have to be? Deal has public road and footpath, beach, caravan park and I think the railway line you can see the trains coming through but it's nothing like Lytham for example.

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 03:28:52 AM »
Dai,

Interesting question as it highlights that features many would consider essential, aren't in fact that common. But perhaps having all 4 would be a good example of the "quintessential" links course? Arrival by train, footpaths through the dunes, sea views and caravan parks are all key elements of many family holidays of the past for people so perhaps the general spirit of place makes them think of links, without it actually being the case very often?

Aberdovey perhaps, the road is a bit of a stretch but I think there were footpaths crossing it? A footpath rather than a road does open this up a bit and Brora would come into the mix as there is a footpath from the caravan site right of 12, across to the beach.[size=78%] [/size]

Cheers,

James [size=78%] [/size]
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Thomas Dai

Re: Quintessential requirements of a links course …. quiz
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2023, 03:59:20 AM »
Good point about 'quintessential' James. I have revised the title of the thread accordingly.
Railway line. As adjacent that it can be hit onto laterally from a hole on the course, so no RCP/Deal. Same adjacency with others like caravan sites, which is why Aberdovey despite nearness of roads, railway line and crossing footpath is excluded (the caravan site is behind the first tee and way beyond the 18th green).
Cemetery. Nice idea. Be interesting to see if anywhere has one adjacent as well as all the other 4. Googlemap time? Chuckles for night club and retirement home!
Brora is in as all 4 apply.
Another would be Borth & Ynylas.
atb

Richard Fisher

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2023, 05:19:48 AM »
Aberdovey may be excluded by David, but Harlech seems to tick all the boxes, viz. large caravan site OB to right of the 3rd (the club had to replace the roof of one of the main site buildings and move the fairway to the left, about 25 years ago), railway you can, or could, slice into off the 17th tee, plenty of beach paths and roads, and a huge beach visible from the back tee at 16.

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 05:48:15 AM »
Good point about 'quintessential' James. I have revised the title of the thread accordingly.
Railway line. As adjacent that it can be hit onto laterally from a hole on the course, so no RCP/Deal. Same adjacency with others like caravan sites, which is why Aberdovey despite nearness of roads, railway line and crossing footpath is excluded (the caravan site is behind the first tee and way beyond the 18th green).
Cemetery. Nice idea. Be interesting to see if anywhere has one adjacent as well as all the other 4. Googlemap time? Chuckles for night club and retirement home!
Brora is in as all 4 apply.
Another would be Borth & Ynylas.
atb

I didnt realise I would have the power to get the thread title changed with my post...  ;)  And you are a harsh taskmaster if you can see the caravans while on the golf course but them not being in play?  8)

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 06:43:12 AM »
Hunstanton has all minus the railway. You can basically see inside the caravans on the 6th tee  ;D

Rick Sides

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2023, 04:07:07 PM »
Just played Chambers Bay … meets all qualifications and grossly underrated course imo!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2023, 05:35:12 PM »
Just played Chambers Bay … meets all qualifications and grossly underrated course imo!
Caravan site?
Atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2023, 05:38:36 PM »
Whitstable (Kent) would seem to fit.

Atb

Rick Sides

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2023, 05:57:38 PM »
Caravan Chambers ! Native Americans once walked up and down the sound

Cristian

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2023, 06:02:05 AM »

Is the caravan park gone at Ballybunion? How sad.

Wayne,

Good question. Ballybunion used to have a railway line and a caravan. It still has a beach and a public road.

John Challenger

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2023, 06:36:15 PM »
What about dogs and sheep and food trucks by the beach with haddock and chips?

JohnVDB

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2023, 04:29:01 AM »
I think a neighbouring cemetery is quite important too  :)

Also a military (preferably RAF) base.😊

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2023, 05:32:46 AM »
Whitstable (Kent) would seem to fit.

Atb

Haven't played it, but when I checked it out it looked better suited to be a cricket pitch! There's more elevation at Lords!
Let's make GCA grate again!

mike_malone

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2023, 08:42:03 AM »
Pill boxes?
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back