News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

The Walker Cup, The Old Course St. Andrews
« on: August 22, 2023, 04:31:48 PM »
Several of us GCAers will be attending the Walker Cup weekend after next. We've set up a WhatsApp group to coordinate and plan, including plans for a toast to our departed GCA friend Bill McBride at the Dunvegan. If you're attending and haven't joined our group please let me know.

Also, what are the current conditions there at the Old Course? In any case they're certainly very different from the experiences of several USA players at Cherry Hills this past week. Regardless, I'm looking forward to see how they make their way around this unique venue. 
Twitter: @Deneuchre

ward peyronnin

Re: The Walker Cup, The Old Course St. Andrews
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 07:41:22 PM »
Doug I will be here with Whitty and His Arbleness
At Royal Aberdeen Jim Holgrieve toured our lads around courses like Gleaneagles. The outward nine was downwind those days and Jordan Spieth and the others gained an advantage they squandered when coming home. Every yank flighted their ball into the wind exactly as they had on the outward nine and never adjusted. The GBI guys adapted and slowly ate into their leads to prevail. I was astounded at the lack of preperation for teenagers who had never played links golf. Nigel Edwards did a similar routine at NGLA playing parkland American course and got trounced. Let us hope whoever is coach is preparing these fine players properly
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 08:39:10 PM »
Apparently the Walker Cup will not be televised in North America.  Anyone know if it will be streaming on Youtube or something similar?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 08:52:11 PM »
Played it two weeks ago  ;D . Turf was fantastic tee to green. Greens probably a little slower and more receptive than you'll see them. Gorse is prickly. Bunkers are troublesome. If anybody finds themselves sleeping on the ground, stuffing headcovers with gloves and towels makes a reasonable pillow.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 10:58:02 PM »
Apparently the Walker Cup will not be televised in North America.  Anyone know if it will be streaming on Youtube or something similar?
The Golf Channel is televising the Walker Cup live on Sat and Sunday according to my TV schedule.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 03:43:11 AM »
Played it two weeks ago  ;D . Turf was fantastic tee to green. Greens probably a little slower and more receptive than you'll see them. Gorse is prickly. Bunkers are troublesome. If anybody finds themselves sleeping on the ground, stuffing headcovers with gloves and towels makes a reasonable pillow.
It's in good shape but we've had a very, very wet July and although August has been better, it has remained cooler and wetter than usual.  The course is soft by normal standards.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 05:48:09 AM »

I saw a tweet claiming it will be televised between 8am - 2pm on Saturday and Sunday on Golf Channel.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 08:40:49 AM »
The USGA website shows TBD (to be determined) regarding the broadcast schedule for the Walker Cup.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2023/2023-walker-cup-fast-facts-st-andrews-scotland.html 

I could find nothing online about the Golf Channel broadcasting it. If anyone has a link with information, please post it.

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 09:19:39 AM »
Will be over for both days at W Cup and here is a small article I did on a W Cupper from the 90s, published by the Cookie Jar.

https://cookiejargolf.com/the-49th-walker-cup-the-barclays/

Hope to see some of you next weekend,
Darragh
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 09:22:23 AM by Darragh Garrahy »

Richard Fisher

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 10:40:38 AM »
My first ever contact with the world of GCA was I think at the Walker Cup of 2007 at RCD, but sadly I can't make it this year: I was in St Andrews last week and played TOC and will be there again in late-September but three trips in six weeks is pushing it! The Old Course last week was as Jason and Mark describe, and the greens will (I suspect) be a bit slower than some of the US team are used to. As ever a huge amount will depend on the weather.

In terms of WAGR etc the GB&I team is massively up against it. But there is at least one Welshman (and a Welsh Captain of the R&A, who was himself a winning Walker Cup captain in 1995) in the side, to help spur them on. 1938 and 1971 saw British wins at St Andrews - interestingly the last, 1975 match was switched to St Andrews from RCD quite late on, a consequence of The Troubles in Northern Ireland.

Anyway vv sorry to miss you all, and enjoy!
Richard

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 11:57:25 AM »

I saw a tweet claiming it will be televised between 8am - 2pm on Saturday and Sunday on Golf Channel.
On the Golf Channel I see the Euro Tour Czech Masters from about 6-11am both days, some other shows like Golf Central, and then the Tour Championship starting at 1 on Saturday and Noon on Sunday. I was looking at the wrong week.  It will be on the Golf Channel!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 12:35:13 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 01:41:40 PM »
If anyone is heading to the Highlands before or after their time in St. Andrews, please let me know. I will be in Dornoch 25 August to 15 September.

Message me here or email me at tcmnav@aol.com
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 03:36:33 PM by David_Tepper »

Kyle Casella

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 02:55:27 PM »
I will be in St. Andrews and looking forward to the matches!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 03:12:22 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 03:14:11 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

Greg Hohman

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 09:21:22 PM »
Peacock is covering Days 1 and 3.
newmonumentsgc.com

Tim Leahy

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2023, 09:54:58 PM »
The Golf Channel is televising the Walker Cup live on Sat and Sunday according to my TV schedule.
My Direct TV search shows the Walker Cup televised on The Golf Channel, Sat. SEPT 2 5:30 am PT to 11 am
And Sunday Sept 3 5am to 11 am PT.
I am recording it.
 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2023, 06:27:14 AM »
The USGA Championship Site has updated and posted for Golf Channel on Saturday and Sunday (it's a two day competition).

https://championships.usga.org/walkercup/2023/2023-walker-cup-match--viewing-schedule.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 06:44:03 AM by Bill Gayne »

Will Thrasher

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2023, 08:58:31 AM »
Very jealous of this trip! Should be fantastic. Hoping the Walker Cup continues to grow in popularity, especially as a TV product. Glad to see Golf Channel has added this.
Twitter: @will_thrasher_

Rick Sides

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2023, 07:42:10 AM »
Will be exciting . I know they have a lot of good golfers on the US team just don’t know how they didn’t pick the finalist at US Am Neal Shipley . Great golfer with big personality and fan fav

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2023, 05:32:23 PM »
I don’t think I can be much bothered with faffing about St Andrews for the tourney, but if anyone coming in to Fife for it wants to play at Ladybank, please drop me a PM.
I had hoped Arbs and his boys might have been able to join me, but that’s looking unlikely.
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2023, 08:32:09 PM »
I don’t think I can be much bothered with faffing about St Andrews for the tourney, but if anyone coming in to Fife for it wants to play at Ladybank, please drop me a PM.
I had hoped Arbs and his boys might have been able to join me, but that’s looking unlikely.
Cheers,
F.

My strongest memory of Ladybank was starting to walk into the clubhouse wearing spiked shoes (this was 1992).  I got an incredibly strange look from someone inside and came to my senses before actually marking up the floor. 

Richard Fisher

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2023, 07:19:38 AM »
Ward I think you might have posted a kind note on the wrong thread!
Many thanks anyway and have a fab time - hard not to in St Andrews.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2023, 12:31:40 PM »
https://www.randa.org/championships/the-walker-cup-broadcast-information

Live coverage of the 49th Walker Cup on Saturday 2 and Sunday 3 September is available on Sky Sports Golf (GB&I), Golf Channel (USA) and The Walker Cup website.

David_Tepper

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2023, 02:18:03 PM »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2023, 02:49:37 AM »
Not much Walker Cup chat then?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back