News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT - What If?
« on: July 26, 2023, 01:23:34 PM »
For us Yanks, what if the U.S. $  declined 20% or more in value vs. the British Pound? Would it impact your plans to visit the UK in the coming years?

In July, 2014, the Pound cost $1.70. In November, 2007, the Pound cost $2.06. Maybe those exchange rates will return at some point in the future. Maybe they will not.

Even with the rise in UK green fees, those of us traveling there on a regular basis have benefited from a very favorable exchange rate, with the Pound costing less than $1.30 for the past 7 or so years.

Without getting into a discussion of the politics/economics of what drives currency exchange rates, I am curious how people would react to a 20%-30% bump in the cost of their annual golf trips to the UK.

Long-term chart of the exchange rate:  https://www.macrotrends.net/2549/pound-dollar-exchange-rate-historical-chart
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 03:16:42 PM by David_Tepper »

Matt Schoolfield

Re: OT - What If?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 02:00:04 PM »
I feel like it's the difference between staying a week vs two weeks. I'm currently hoping to get to Scotland or Ireland after the high season ends, and exchange rates do matter to me.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

David Kelly

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 02:59:30 PM »
I would obviously prefer to get the most bang for the buck but it makes no difference in my plans.  I'm not going to skip playing Sunningdale and Swinley Forest just because it costs 20-30% more.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 05:37:15 PM »
Before my first trip to Scotland a friend gave me a very sound and wise piece of advice concerning cost: The trip is very special and enjoy and pretend that everything is in dollars and not pounds and when you get back and get the bills you will say it was worth every penny; he was right.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 07:36:39 PM »
(IMHO) If there is an unfavorable currency change for USA golf tourists traveling to the UK it will hasten the market adjustment that is coming for UK golf tourism. There's been pent-up demand coming out of COVID but that will be worked through. The primary driver of the adjustment will be the high quality offerings in the USA that have been developed over the last twenty years. These offerings with less hassle and competitive pricing will more than compete with UK golf travel. Places such as Bandon, Cabot Nova Scotia, Wisconsin, Michigan, Streamsong, Big Cedar Lodge, Cabot World Woods offer options that didn't exist too long ago. Plus the old line resorts such as Pinehurst and Pebble Beach are constantly improving their offerings. Many will ask why go through the hassle of international travel when I can do a great trip at home?

The Old Course will always have a full tee sheet but it's the secondary courses that are going to see the greatest losses. I really enjoy the cultural aspects of traveling to the UK and will make two trips this year but I think I'm in the minority when it comes to golf tourism.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 07:42:51 PM by Bill Gayne »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 08:45:54 PM »
        After watching a number of reports about the ticket costs for the Taylor Swift concerts, and the merchandise prices I am happy I chose a cheaper pastime.
        On topic, as the relative price for GB&I increases, other options, such as Australia/New Zealand come into the equation. But that might be an east coast/west coast geographic preference.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back