News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Durrant

Marion (George Thomas)
« on: March 13, 2005, 12:33:18 AM »
Ron Whitten has done a review of this antiquated 9 holer in Marion, MA, in Golf Digest.

Does anyone have experience of it - any more photos?

By Ron Whitten
GolfDigest.com exclusive

I've long contended that if you really want to study authentic architecture of the early giants of golf course design, you should seek out the nine-hole courses they did. Nine-hole clubs don't usually have much money to spend upgrading their courses. A lot of them still have their original irrigation systems, their original greens and maybe even the original sand in the bunkers.

A perfect example is Marion Golf Course in Marion, Massachusetts. It's just down the road from The Kittansett Club, one of America's 100 Greatest. In fact, you'd pass right by it on the way to Kittansett, if indeed you had an invitation to play that classic seaside venue.

If you don't, then stop at Marion. It was the very first design of George C. Thomas Jr., who went on to create some of the best courses in California (and the United States), including Los Angeles Country Club, Riviera and Bel-Air. But you'd never know it from Marion, which is dry, stark and funky, with flat fairways, round greens and squarish bunkers. It's a step well back in time.

Thomas built the nine-hole course in 1906, when the game was still played with wooden shafted clubs with the ball teed up on a wet piles of sand. He staked out the nine holes in an old farm field, where decades before, rocks had been dug up, hauled to the side and piled in long, parallel fence rows. Rock walls were fair game as hazards back in that era, so Thomas ran fairways right over and through walls and positioned nearly half his greens beside or beyond them. He covered the walls with as much dirt as he could find, to make them more playable for the unlucky duffers who'd land next to them. Today, they're mostly rock spines protruding from serpentine mounds of earth. It's still steeplechase golf. A local rule does allow a free drop away from any rock encountered on the hole you're playing.

The rock walls are what gives Marion Golf Course its character. There's a five-foot-high wall of turf and rock stretching across the front of the green on the 175-yard third, with just a narrow walkway opening providing even a glimpse of the flag and putting surface. On the 180-yard eighth, a similar wall has a wider opening, the void looking big enough to accommodate an old abandoned roadbed, but still narrow enough to ricochet the occasional low screamer.

My favorite is the dinky 115-yard ninth, hard by the parking lot and modest clubhouse. A high, wide, flashed face of a sand bunker obscures view of the green from the tee. Only when you approach the green do you realize that the leading edge of the bunker is yet another rock wall. The sand is literally swept nearly to its top. Once past it, you realize the wall is the only thing keeping the sand from spilling onto the sunken green.

It is an archaic, whimsical, marvelous hazard, one that even Pete Dye wouldn't have the nerve to build these days.

Which says something about the litigious nature of today's society, I suppose. Not for nothing does Marion's scorecard announce on its cover, "Play at Own Risk!"

Marion is not Merion. It is far from a great test of golf. It's only 2,695 yards maximum, playing to a par 34, with just one par 5 (the fourth, only 460-yards long, but with out-of-bounds all along the right) and only one par 4 over 365 yards. The grass is a mish-mash of turf and weeds. Some fairways are spongy. The greens putt slow. And I highly recommend it.

It's worth visiting Marion just to experience an authentic relic of early golf design. Plus, there are some nice views out on the course of an inlet that leads to Buzzards Bay, the Atlantic bay that Kittansett plays beside.

The Verdict
I said Marion Golf Course is a step well back in time. In truth, it's a full 100-year leap into the past. Using Golf Digest's 10 point scale (1 being Unacceptable, 5 being Good, 10 being Absolutely Perfect), I give it a rating of 6.5.

The Details
Marion Golf Course
Point Road
Marion, Massachusetts 02738
For more information: 508-748-0199
Green fees (9/18 holes): $11/$18 weekdays. $13/$20 weekends.
Walking allowed anytime.

Pete Lavallee

Re:Marion (George Thomas)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 01:50:46 AM »
Keith,

Ron portrayed the course quite accurately, it is a step back in time. However, it is to a time where golf was played over a rudimentary, and all too geometric obstacle course. Although several holes have rock walls, they are not strategic, simply perpendicular hazards that can easily be lofted over with modern equipement. The 9th is a fantastic short hole, certainly a glimpse of the genious that was to follow. The part of the course closer to the water has huge berms running in straight angles to the line of play; I grew up in the area and the locals reffered to Little Marion as the "Indian Burial Grounds". It would certainly be an ideal place for a hickory tournament. It's interesting that Thomas's design is truely lacking the strategy that his California courses made him famous for. Perhaps he learned a lot about golf course architecture when he traveled to Europe during WWI. If you're lucky enough to be invited to play Kittansett, just down the road, it's worth stopping by to take a look; but I really would plan a special trip around it.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 07:07:25 AM »
Keith, I've been there a few times on the way to Kittansett.  I toured it with Tom Paul several years ago and played it this past summer with my oldest son, David.  I'll dig up my photographs and post some of the better ones.  I know Tom got some good photos and maybe I can post some of his.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 07:34:39 AM »
George Thomas's super early little Marion golf course is like looking at something Picasso may've done when he was five years old. The little thing is something to see with numerous stonewalls and such immediately and perpindicularly in front of greens. It reminds one as much of a steeplechase course than a golf course. The wonderful and frankly remarkable thing about Marion is that it's remained the same to the extent it has. It sure is like stepping back in time. Those types of thing are so important and valuable, in my opinion, as they truly make us understand better how things once were and how far they came!

Keith Durrant

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 09:42:23 AM »
Pete/Wayne/Tom, thanks.

It sounds like a true museum-piece. Personally, I like steeplechase features on a course, e.g. the couple of holes on North Berwick where the walls have to be overcome.

Does Marion qualify for the BBGE super-affordable golf architecture list?

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 09:45:02 AM »
Keith,

I don't know about that list, I don't read/respond to him anymore.  But as I recall the price with trolley was $14.

John Foley

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 12:35:38 PM »
Had the pleasure to play here last week. Very late in the day on the 4th my Bro-in-law & I ran out for a quick 9. Had the course to ourselves.

What a kick this place is. Quirk to the max. The mounds/stonewalls, the small green's, the laid back atmosphere. Loved every minute of it. I could play that 9th hole every day and not get bored w/ it.

Anyone who ever gets to neart the Cape or gets a visit to Kittansett should stop in and see what golf was like 100 yrs ago. Couldn't have had more fun!
Integrity in the moment of choice

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 12:53:41 PM »
The 9-hole course that Thomas designed was a private estate course for one of the founding members of Kittansett.  Bill Dow is going to meet the grandaughter of the estate owner to discuss the Marion and Kittansett courses.  She is a sharp-minded 92 year old that supposedly has vivid recollections of the early days of both courses.  We'll see what Bill is able to dig up.  I'll be up there for a visit sometime in August and will follow up on Bill's scouting report.  I've got some photos of Marion and will post shortly.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 02:41:07 PM »
Bumping up to remind Wayne. From the first picture the course looks like it will be very intersting to see. I am fascinated with the look of the early courses and for this to survive makes it very special. Even more special is that it was a very early Thomas design.

Tully

Willie_Dow

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 03:41:20 PM »
So far, Wayne, I've been striking out on making contact with your informants.  Bette must be in Philly, as there is no answer on the Buzzards Bay line.  Do you know the name of the Marion "grandmother"?

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 06:54:09 PM »
Sean,
I've got some time, I'll get on it in a few minutes.  BAD NEWS--I can't find my site photos of Marion GC

Bill,
Sorry, I thought Bette was up your way.  I'll try calling her at her local address and have her give you a call.  Unless you have their Philly number since you and her husband are tennis buddies.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:04:36 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Sean_Tully

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 01:40:38 AM »
Just a quick question. I was poking around in the old Harpers Golf Guides from 1900-01 and it mentions a golf course in Marion.  I found that interesting. I have included the two references. The 1900 one has the best info as it gives its location and the estates owners name. It could be an earlier course that was disbanded prior to Thomas's course or it still exists in some form or fashion.

1900-

GOLF LINKS.—The course here is played over by summer visitors
mainly, and is situated on the east side of the harbor on the grounds of W. V. Kellen.

MARION
SIPPICAN GOLF CLUB.—Organized, 1900. A nine-hole course, on the eastern side of Sippican Harbor. President, George U. Crocker; Secretary and Treasurer, Richard S. Dow, 27 State Street, Boston, Massachusetts.

Are these two references a different golf course all together from the Thomas course?  I found a reference to Sippican on the MGA website but after looking in The Architects of Golf Sippican is not mentioned and I can't find another course in the area when looking on google. From what I can see Marion golf club does appear to be on the east side of the harbor, so that much is similar. Also from Wayne's post he mentions Thomas designed the course on a private estate, was Kellen a member at Kittansett?

Sidenote: Noticed Kittansett and found that to be an interesting layout. i am trying to figure out how they have the routing worked out near the clubhouse. Would love to see a pic of that par three surrounded by sand!

Tully

wsmorrison

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 07:24:50 AM »
Sean,

Look up Ran's excellent write-up of Kittansett.  I do have lots of photos of Kittansett and will post them later.  

A list of 1927 members did not have a Kellen on it.  I'll talk to my contact and find out the owner of the estate and speak with the grandaughter.

Kittansett is a marvelous course and should be a must see.  Bob Jones thought it worthy to hold the Walker Cup every year.  Francis Ouimet used to practice on the windswept course prior to journeys to play the Open.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »
Sean,

The golf course is owned by several indivduals who have summer estates surrounding the course. The area is the sailing capitol of the Cape; wealthy individuals flocked to Marion for the sailing first, golf followed later. The owners in turn lease the golf course to the present operator; I believe he has a 14 year lease at present. Whitten, in his article claims the course was built in 1906, however the present operator is adamant that the course was built in 1904; they officially celebrated their centennial 2 years ago. It is very possible that the residents had a rudimentary golf course laid out and brought in Thomas to formalize the layout. One of the owners just recently errected a rather hideous 6 foot cedar fence on the right hand side of the 6th hole; probably to keep golfers from retrieving errant shots which came to rest on their property. I have about 50 photo's whcih I had hoped to post, but due to a technical glitch I have been unable to download them from my digital camera.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 11:45:48 AM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike Feeney

Re: Marion (George Thomas)
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2022, 02:12:17 PM »
This wonderful place, "Little Marion", is going to be restored to George Thomas' original vision -- with Gil Hanse oversight/guidance.
A nice story to boot -- http://powerfades.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 03:12:12 PM »
Mike-What a great development for Marion GC. I played a couple of times this Spring and it’s clear that more attention is being paid to the golf course in the way of both conditioning and tree clearing. Quirky is an apt adjective for the set of holes replete with rock walls fronting some of the greens, a 90 degree dogleg as well as a cool horseshoe bunker and random mounding. You can play with a short or a full set and have a terrific time either way. It looks like the late shoulder season honor box will probably become a thing of the past when Hanse is finished. :)

MLevesque

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 06:40:34 PM »
I played “little” Marion last year in a Boston Golf & Social event.  I played 27 holes and really wanted to play more.  Short, quirky and fun.  Don’t expect pristine playing conditions and embrace the quirk.  I’m really looking forward to returning after Gil’s restoration.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 06:44:20 PM by MLevesque »
I am Skew!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back