News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Could the Ryder Cup be heading to BOLTON???!!!
« on: October 29, 2016, 05:13:01 AM »

Not content with simply announcing that local property empire Peel Holdings (formerly The Manchester Ship Canal Company) plans a new golf course, this over-enthusiastic local hack ties it in with a potential bid for the Ryder Cup!   :D

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/14730325.Plans_for_18_hole_golf_course_which_could_host_one_of_world___s_biggest_sporting_events/

My guess is that Peel bought the estate for a relative song, and have spent the last five years scratching their heads over what the heck to do with it.

"I know!  A golf course!!"

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:22:33 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jon Wiggett

Re: Could the Ryder Cup be heading to BOLTON???!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:06:55 AM »
Duncan,

how totally preposterous to suggest that the Ryder Cup would ever be held at a new, no name UK course that is close to some really top class clubs ;)  It will never happen[size=78%] [/size] ::)

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 08:03:27 AM »
Duncan,

how totally preposterous to suggest that the Ryder Cup would ever be held at a new, no name UK course that is close to some really top class clubs ;)  It will never happen[size=78%] [/size] ::)

Jon
This site does need a like button.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 10:19:14 AM »
Luckily, the "company has so far refused to make any public comment  on the matter" or else we wouldn't have any details at all...

Since we're speculating, I predict this course will be a "10"

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 09:23:50 PM »
"Bolton Ryder Cup golf course approved following appeal"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-63387578

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 07:39:17 AM »
I’d completely forgotten I’d ever started this thread!

I never took this project seriously and assumed it had fallen by the wayside but “a good authority” told me earlier this year that it was definitely a goer.

This would seem to confirm that!

James Boon

« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 08:42:32 AM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back