News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bernie Bell

Cutalong at Lake Anna, Virginia
« on: August 22, 2023, 03:15:43 PM »
Not much discussion here since the Feature Interview with Tom Clark in 2020, which was before the course opened.  I am curious but have not played.  Any reactions? 

Andy Shulman

Re: Cutalong at Lake Anna, Virginia
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 05:03:36 AM »
I'm reviving this thread from a few months back, as I played Catalong for the first time yesterday. It was a fun course to play and I agree with the Doak 6 that someone gave it in another thread. It's a well executed blend of old-time template/tribute holes and the use of carts to transport golfers around a sprawling property. NGLA - which I haven't played - was apparently the inspiration for most or all of the hole designs. Some are immediately familiar and very well done - like the drivable par-4 10th on which the last 80 or so yards serves as the Redan and the Biarritz 12th - while others require a lot of imagination or a review of the hole description on the course website.

I can see the course being a bit polarizing for anyone who's not a fan of blind/semi-blind shots, as there are several, including the tee shots on 3, 8 and 13. On a few other holes, desirable tee shot landing areas are obscured from the tee by large mounding. There are also a few wild greens, most notably the three-tiered roller coaster on #1.

The conditioning is immaculate, which probably indicates a large maintenance budget for what the developers intend at some point to be a private club.

Check it out if you're near Fredericksburg, VA. It's about 15 miles from I-95, so it's a little out of the way, but well worth the effort.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 05:15:24 AM by Andy Shulman »

Jonathan Cummings

Re: Cutalong at Lake Anna, Virginia
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 12:12:53 PM »
I've played it once with Tom Clark and another time with Ron Whitten, as well as a few times on my own.  Very cool design and well worth the stop.  The associated housing is the issue as they can't get sanitary sewer into the property so the planned housing is in limbo.  Sounds good from a golfing standpoint but the place needs resident members to be financially sustainable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back