News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Te Arai links
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2021, 09:37:58 PM »
Jeff:

I’m sure there are exceptions, but in general there’s a lot more room to get up and walk around a 747 than a G-5, and in three private trips overseas, I’ve only had a mattress to sleep on once, though I’m sure my clients’ beds were just as comfy.

I am a huge fan of Air NZ.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2021, 10:02:44 PM »
Jeff:

I’m sure there are exceptions, but in general there’s a lot more room to get up and walk around a 747 than a G-5, and in three private trips overseas, I’ve only had a mattress to sleep on once, though I’m sure my clients’ beds were just as comfy.

I am a huge fan of Air NZ.

Such First World problems.

Ira

James Bennett

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »
I've flown Premium Economy from Australia to the USA on Air NZ (Adelaide/Auckland/LA).
It was a long time ago, but I recommend that if you can't do Business.
Completely unlike any US-based carrier (I have only experienced United, American Airlines and Hawaiian).

Benje

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 09:21:43 AM »

Ira:

Believe me, I understand that.  But I don't like when people get their facts wrong, even for a good cause.  The facts are, there are not many guys flying on private jets from the USA to NZ, and also, international Business Class is pretty comfortable for the 1% of Americans who can afford it [or whose expenses are being paid by that 1%].

P.S.  As part of applying for my visa with New Zealand immigration -- you need a special visa to travel there now, until COVID is under control -- they ran a background check on my previous visits to the country, and sent me the findings.  In the course of building two courses there, planning a third, and playing a bit of golf, I have made THIRTY trips to NZ in the past twenty years, and spent a total of 162 days there.  So I do have a bit of experience going back and forth.

Tim Martin

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2021, 01:22:30 PM »

Ira:

Believe me, I understand that.  But I don't like when people get their facts wrong, even for a good cause.  The facts are, there are not many guys flying on private jets from the USA to NZ, and also, international Business Class is pretty comfortable for the 1% of Americans who can afford it [or whose expenses are being paid by that 1%].

P.S.  As part of applying for my visa with New Zealand immigration -- you need a special visa to travel there now, until COVID is under control -- they ran a background check on my previous visits to the country, and sent me the findings.  In the course of building two courses there, planning a third, and playing a bit of golf, I have made THIRTY trips to NZ in the past twenty years, and spent a total of 162 days there.  So I do have a bit of experience going back and forth.

Tom-Do you have an idea of how many miles you have flown internationally in your career? You must have a staggering amount of frequent flyer miles. :o

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2021, 01:33:54 PM »

Tom-Do you have an idea of how many miles you have flown internationally in your career? You must have a staggering amount of frequent flyer miles. :o

No, fortunately, I never started keeping track of that, and the airlines' credits for "points" no longer translate easily into miles flown.

But yes, I have used up oodles and oodles of frequent flyer miles for family and friends over the years.

A friend did suggest back in 2003 that I should keep track of how many hours I spent traveling, so I did do that . . . from the time I got to the airport until I left the airport on the other side.  That was probably my biggest year:  six trips to Cape Kidnappers and Barnbougle, plus all of the courses I was working on the routings for [Ballyneal, Stone Eagle, Tumble Creek, Sebonack, etc.].  It was a very productive year, but in total I spent 600 hours at the airport or on a plane.  No plans to do that again!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 01:11:42 AM »
Was on the list for membership info and they just sent it out. If interested in particulars let me know as I won't divulge it here.
FYI, they will have public access, they intend to have a rotation each day as to which of the 2 will be for members and guests.  Preview play will start April 2022 with C&C course open October 2022. Doak course opening Oct 2023.

Looks like a great project.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Daryl David

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2021, 09:41:41 AM »
Was on the list for membership info and they just sent it out. If interested in particulars let me know as I won't divulge it here.
FYI, they will have public access, they intend to have a rotation each day as to which of the 2 will be for members and guests.  Preview play will start April 2022 with C&C course open October 2022. Doak course opening Oct 2023.

Looks like a great project.

I’d like to see what the over/under is on any international visitors being allowed into NZ for the preview holes in April. Heck, what about the odds for the CC opening in October?  Doak course in 2023?  Might be a long wait Jeff, if you decide to join.  ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2021, 09:49:08 AM »

I’d like to see what the over/under is on any international visitors being allowed into NZ for the preview holes in April. Heck, what about the odds for the CC opening in October?  Doak course in 2023?  Might be a long wait Jeff, if you decide to join.  ;D

I'd like to see what the over/under is on America having COVID under any sort of control by 2023.

Daryl David

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2021, 10:00:26 AM »

I'd like to see what the over/under is on America having COVID under any sort of control by 2023.

That’s probably one of those bets Vegas won’t take because it’s so lopsided. ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2021, 12:44:33 PM »

That's an interesting question indeed.  Pretty much all the hospitals in the south are at full capacity...right in time for SEC Football and packed stadiums of 80k+.  Problem? What problem?  ;)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2023, 05:33:35 AM »
I heard the North course opened recently? Are keen to hear how it has been received?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 05:35:14 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Daryl David

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2023, 12:12:32 PM »
I have a Kiwi friend that joined Te Arai last year. He loves the South course, but his comments on the North have been positively glowing. If all goes to plan, I’ll join him there in February to see for myself. Can’t wait.

Ash Towe

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2023, 01:54:06 PM »
I played the North course on Friday.

It is magnificent. The routing, changes of direction and elevation all combine together to produce a top drawer experience.

14 or so of the holes are inland, even though it is a very small distance from the beach. This provides quite a contrast from the South course. The 2 combined produce one of the very best 36 hole complexes anywhere in the world, in my opinion.

The course was full when I went and according to a caddy it has been the same since it opened.

I cannot wait to go back.

John Kirk

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2023, 04:01:37 PM »
The pictures look wonderful.  I am so excited for Tom and our friends who have built these wonderful new courses in recent years.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2023, 01:12:50 AM »
I am at The Lido for the Renaissance Cup tonight, and I said to someone that with all of the press and hype that has been afforded to Pinehurst and High Pointe and The Lido, it is kind of nice to have Te Arai and Sedge Valley opening right now, after having flown under the radar for all this time.  It wouldn't surprise me if when the dust settles, they are considered two of the best of the bunch.

Sedge Valley yesterday was fantastic, and it's not even ready for prime time yet.  Lido was awesome, but that's not really mine, and in the end, it just depends on what you like better.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2023, 10:33:36 AM »
Tom,
I think both will be considered some of your best!  But you are getting so many good ones, it need more fingers on my hands!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2023, 08:24:00 PM »
I played the North course on Friday.

It is magnificent. The routing, changes of direction and elevation all combine together to produce a top drawer experience.

14 or so of the holes are inland, even though it is a very small distance from the beach. This provides quite a contrast from the South course. The 2 combined produce one of the very best 36 hole complexes anywhere in the world, in my opinion.

The course was full when I went and according to a caddy it has been the same since it opened.

I cannot wait to go back.

Ash

I appreciate you've seen TI, TA S, TA N - how do you rate them on the Doak scale?

Ash Towe

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2023, 01:39:54 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Good to hear from you.

I have played Tara Iti 3.5 times. Te Arai South twice and Te Arai North once. I need to see the North again in particular, still have the novelty effect. Baring this in mind, at the moment I would give them the following:
Tara Iti 9.5
Te Arai North 9.5
Te Arai South 9.0
The resort, service and facilities are all at the same level.

John Foley

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2023, 07:53:46 AM »
I am at The Lido for the Renaissance Cup tonight, and I said to someone that with all of the press and hype that has been afforded to Pinehurst and High Pointe and The Lido, it is kind of nice to have Te Arai and Sedge Valley opening right now, after having flown under the radar for all this time.  It wouldn't surprise me if when the dust settles, they are considered two of the best of the bunch.

Wow - great time to be Tom Doak! Congrats on all the success and cant wait to see all of these and whatever comes next!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2023, 12:08:13 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Good to hear from you.

I have played Tara Iti 3.5 times. Te Arai South twice and Te Arai North once. I need to see the North again in particular, still have the novelty effect. Baring this in mind, at the moment I would give them the following:
Tara Iti 9.5
Te Arai North 9.5
Te Arai South 9.0

Hi Ash

Likewise - I hope you're well.

NZ golf has come a long way over the past 20 years. Thanks for your thoughts about the courses. The trio seem pretty close overall and I get the "newness" factor at TA N.

There seems to be a lot of investment into Te Arai - fast becoming "the Bandon" of the Sth. Hemisphere.?

Ash Towe

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2023, 12:31:12 AM »
Kevin,

The development is moving forward at a pace. The facilities for members and guests are already top drawer but there will be more options available soon. However, changes are refined and in keeping with a top drawer development.

I don’t think it is a second Bandon but a first Te Arai. You need to see it!

Trent Dixon

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2023, 04:44:01 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Good to hear from you.

Tara Iti 9.5
Te Arai North 9.5
Te Arai South 9.0

Hi Ash

Likewise - I hope you're well.

NZ golf has come a long way over the past 20 years. Thanks for your thoughts about the courses. The trio seem pretty close overall and I get the "newness" factor at TA N.

There seems to be a lot of investment into Te Arai - fast becoming "the Bandon" of the Sth. Hemisphere.?

It's a shame they've gone down the ridiculous American pricing model though, $650 for a round of golf is pretty outrageous.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2023, 04:53:39 AM »
Julian Robertson invited Richard Sattler (the Barnbougle owner) to Cape Kidnappers and introduced him to the staffs thus, "This is Richard Sattler from Barnbougle. He's got something we don't have .. customers"

At $120-130 (A$ - currently $85 US) against green fees three or four times that, it was/is hardly surprising.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2023, 06:30:53 PM »
Julian Robertson invited Richard Sattler (the Barnbougle owner) to Cape Kidnappers and introduced him to the staffs thus, "This is Richard Sattler from Barnbougle. He's got something we don't have .. customers"

At $120-130 (A$ - currently $85 US) against green fees three or four times that, it was/is hardly surprising.

Mike:

That’s true, but I guarantee you that Cape Kidnappers cost 5x as much to develop as Barnbougle, too. (Also, my associates and I were paid far more for our work at Te Arai than at Barnbougle, so I guess we are all part of the problem.)

Doesn’t really matter once you cut the ribbon, of course:  from then on the price is whatever the market will bear.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back