News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ash Towe

Te Arai links
« on: August 19, 2021, 05:01:49 PM »

Peter Flory

Re: Te Arai links
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 05:48:51 PM »
The scale on that one bunker is crazy. 

I'm sold. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 07:25:19 AM »
Ash -

Where in NZ is this place located? North Island? South Island? East or west coast?

DT

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 09:14:07 AM »
I believe it is by Tara Iti on the North Island, north of Auckland.  On the east coast, but the island is pretty narrow at that point it seems.  It shouldn't be very far from Kauri Cliffs. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 10:14:30 AM »
I believe it is by Tara Iti on the North Island, north of Auckland.  On the east coast, but the island is pretty narrow at that point it seems.  It shouldn't be very far from Kauri Cliffs.

It's about five miles down the beach, south of Tara Iti.  Kauri Cliffs is actually about 90 miles further north, and it's not a quick drive.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 12:18:00 PM »
192km/2.5 hr drive according to Google Maps from Tara Iti to Kauri Cliffs.  Not next door, but if you are travelling from North America or Europe it is probably worth it.  Cape Kidnappers is more like a 7 hr drive so you would want to fly from Auckland to Napier.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »
Or you could just drive down and enjoy New Zealand!!  What an awesome and beautiful country!!

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »
Really excited for my buddy CJ (and and RennGolf), I know the project proceeded in fits and starts.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 01:56:23 PM »
Looks a bit special. Be cool if the little wicker fences stay in place.
Atb

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 01:58:34 AM »
I got onto some list for "membership" mailings for this course. However, I believe it is supposed to be public so not sure what the membership is?  They haven't said and not many updates have come. If more easily accessible (especially in times of Covid) this location would be on many more people's radar.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 01:29:38 PM »
If more easily accessible (especially in times of Covid) this location would be on many more people's radar.
I love NZ, but I don't think many people wound consider it accessible, other than those that live in NZ and Aus. Even if you have a PJ that can fly from the US or Europe to NZ.

Daryl David

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2021, 07:32:40 PM »
If more easily accessible (especially in times of Covid) this location would be on many more people's radar.
I love NZ, but I don't think many people wound consider it accessible, other than those that live in NZ and Aus. Even if you have a PJ that can fly from the US or Europe to NZ.

Depends on your definition of accessible.  One person’s inaccessible is another’s hop and a skip. I guess a lot depends on the duration of your stay. Pre-Covid when I was going 1 to 2 times a year, I didn’t consider 15 hours in the air a big deal since I was there for month at a time. As for AUS/NZ being inaccessible, I sure have met lots of Americans and Europeans there over the years. Have run into a few  GCA posters here and there. As for the future, who knows when any of us outside NZ will see Te Aria. Hope I live long enough!  ;D

Mark Kiely

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 08:30:24 PM »
Am I the only one wondering how to pronounce this?
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 09:08:14 PM »
One of my flights from the US west coast to Australia landed first in New Zealand, so apparently New Zealand is more accessible than Australia. The quality of courses is at the top of my list for travel, and as the new course hits keep coming for NZ they have surpassed Australia as a golf destination, as far as I am concerned. The scenery is also a plus. But Australia is making a comeback with Tasmania.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 01:08:45 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Daryl David

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2021, 09:12:11 PM »

While Google translate doesn’t support voice pronunciation of Maori, it does say the Te Arai means The Veil in English.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 12:33:12 PM by Daryl David »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2021, 07:44:52 AM »

Interesting tidbit:  even my clients down there, who own private jets, rarely use them to fly from the US to NZ.  Even the best private jets [as of a few years ago, anyway] did not have the range to make that trip directly; instead, they'd have to stop in Hawaii and refuel, adding several hours to the journey.  And Air New Zealand business class is nicer than a private jet anyway.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2021, 07:46:45 AM »

While Google translate doesn’t support voice pronunciation of Maori, it does say the Te Arai means The Concept in English.

Really?  I had no idea, and I'm not sure the client did, either.  The courses are simply both near Te Arai Point, a surf spot that's just between them and Tara Iti further north.

I am not 100% sure I'm pronouncing the name right, but what I have heard down there is "Tay Uh Ry"

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2021, 08:56:57 AM »

While Google translate doesn’t support voice pronunciation of Maori, it does say the Te Arai means The Concept in English.

Really?  I had no idea, and I'm not sure the client did, either.  The courses are simply both near Te Arai Point, a surf spot that's just between them and Tara Iti further north.

I am not 100% sure I'm pronouncing the name right, but what I have heard down there is "Tay Uh Ry"

I think it is Tee RI
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2021, 09:06:09 AM »

I think it is Tee RI

Do you mean "R. I." ?  That's what I was trying to phonetically spell out, too.  Not sure if it's "Tee" or "Tay" though.

You would think I'd know for one of my own projects, but I will find out for sure once I'm down there in February to work on it.  It took me a year to get the pronunciation of Sebonack correct, too.  And, for that matter, there are two different versions of "Renaissance" going around.  :D

[size=78%]  [/size]

Daryl David

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2021, 12:25:06 PM »
On this web page you can pick your language to hear different pronunciations. Lots of variety!  Personally I like the Aussie version.

https://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Te%20Arai

I must apologize for my earlier post saying that Te Arai translates from Maori to English as The Concept. That is wrong. Typo on my part. Sorry. The actual English translation is “The Veil”. (Prior post corrected)

That seems kind of cool. Can’t wait to play the Veil!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 12:34:41 PM by Daryl David »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2021, 12:38:03 PM »

I think it is Tee RI

Do you mean "R. I." ?  That's what I was trying to phonetically spell out, too.  Not sure if it's "Tee" or "Tay" though.

You would think I'd know for one of my own projects, but I will find out for sure once I'm down there in February to work on it.  It took me a year to get the pronunciation of Sebonack correct, too.  And, for that matter, there are two different versions of "Renaissance" going around.  :D

[size=78%]  [/size]

I'm pretty sure it's Tee. That's how 'Te Anau', the closest town to Milford Sound, was pronounced when I was there, and I've heard the singer Neil Finn refer to his childhood home of Te Awamutu thusly too.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Charles Lund

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2021, 03:30:19 PM »
I did four trips that included New Zealand from 2007 to 2009.  After that, I stopped going to New Zealand and only went to Australia.  This course really tweaked my interest, so maybe I will do a side trip once Australia opens up.  The way things look now with Australia's continuing struggles with Covid, Te Arai may be  a mature layout by then.

Charles Lund

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2021, 05:58:50 PM »
Adam, it's more like Tay, although the Y isn't pronounced. The general population is becoming much better at pronouncing Te Reo (Maori language). Certainly my own language has changed a lot, particularly from spending more time in the North Island.

And yep, New Zealand is 2,000km closer to USA than Australia. 12 hours v 14 hours in a plane, still a long way. 

@Pure_Golf

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2021, 08:16:04 PM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 08:21:04 PM by Kalen Braley »

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2021, 08:39:32 PM »

And Air New Zealand business class is nicer than a private jet anyway.

Full disclosure, I've not flown Business Class on Air NZ, but I'm taking the under on that comment, especially one built for overseas travel.

And as far as accessibility/difficulty, I've spent more time in my house last night/today under this hurricane warning than it would take to get to Te Arai. I actually enjoyed the flights(commercial/economy) to NZ and AUS as there's actually time for dinner, a movie and a good night's rest as opposed to the short sleep between the multiple food/drink/Duty Free wakeups on a flight to the UK/Ireland

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 08:46:59 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back