News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Re: The Congo Resurrected!
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »
The term character really resonates. We live 10 minutes from Congressional (we have to pass Burning Tree along the way). As noted above, I have played the Blue Course several times over the years plus walked it for several tournaments. The course had a bunch of good holes with meh green complexes. But at end of day, it lacked character or identity. I hope I get the chance to see the new course.

I have not played the Gold Course, but my wife loves it.

Ira

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2020, 05:48:55 PM »
Comparatively, the new Congo is going to look down right naked.  They took down enough trees that it has a much more appealing open feeling.  The greens will have motion, sometimes radical, unlike the old ones.  The video the super made for the members shows him walking up to a number of green fronts, throwing balls this way and that and remarking how the sweeping flow will impact approach play.  Congo will have a ground component like it never had before.

I'm just one opinion and I'm unassociated with Congo, but I think there is a good chance it's going to be a whole lot better and quite well received.

MCirba

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »
"...and trees grew with malice" may be the best description I've read on here this year.

Nicely done, Mark Chalfant, and thanks for the architectural evolution overview.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Bernie Bell

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »
If anyone knows how to make a digital stamp let me know. This thread reminds me I need a “Certified Gilded” one for our use on this site.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
If anyone knows how to make a digital stamp let me know. This thread reminds me I need a “Certified Gilded” one for our use on this site.

Bogey

Mike,

Did you start your gilded thread as a response to this one?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »
John, honestly more so from Beverly and Brook Hollow threads and pics.  Might apply here as well.

I fear we are losing the subtleties between the Old Dead Guys in the chase for aesthetics.

Just stirring the pot a bit.

Be well.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Gallant

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 08:00:09 AM »
Wasn't sure where to put this photo, but looking at some of the bunkering, it reminded me of the photos I've seen for Congressional so far. So what's the difference?

Credit: I found the photo recently posted by Michael Wolf here https://twitter.com/bamabearcat/status/1333957295898759169 - not sure of the original source, but will have a look

AChao

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2020, 04:16:26 AM »
Wow!  That's a major change.  Thanks for posting.  The old course was a little monotonous for certain stretches.  In some ways I thought some holes favored better players too much and punished weaker players too much. 

Drew Harvie

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2020, 10:46:41 AM »
Wasn't sure where to put this photo, but looking at some of the bunkering, it reminded me of the photos I've seen for Congressional so far. So what's the difference?

Credit: I found the photo recently posted by Michael Wolf here https://twitter.com/bamabearcat/status/1333957295898759169 - not sure of the original source, but will have a look

I can't really speak for what Andrew Green was going for, and I'll reserve judgement for when I play Congo (to my eye, the look is much improved, but I see the argument for losing "subtleties" of the dead guys), but at Banff Springs, the sheer scale of the property asked Thompson to bunker heavily to match it so the golf course didn't feel out of place. Also, on other holes, Thompson's bunkering mimicked the mountain peaks, so he had to keep the same style throughout.

John_Cullum

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »
Is the nickname "Congo" somewhat insensitive? Asking for a woke friend.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tim Gallant

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2020, 02:56:17 PM »

I can't really speak for what Andrew Green was going for, and I'll reserve judgement for when I play Congo (to my eye, the look is much improved, but I see the argument for losing "subtleties" of the dead guys), but at Banff Springs, the sheer scale of the property asked Thompson to bunker heavily to match it so the golf course didn't feel out of place. Also, on other holes, Thompson's bunkering mimicked the mountain peaks, so he had to keep the same style throughout.

Drew,

Interesting to know that some of Thompson's bunkering there mimicked the mountain peaks! Looking at the above photo, there were two things that came to my mind in relation to Congressional - one was the number of bunkers, and the second was the convexing (hope I'm using this correctly) nature of one of the bunkers that looks similar to a few bunkers I've seen of Congressional so far.

As you say, we'll need to see how it works at Congressional once it reopens, but I'm hopeful that Green has done a good job!

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »
The renovated Blue course at Congressional has been open for a couple of months now.   Has anyone had the chance to play it since Andrew Green's work?   I toured the course during grow-in and the changes were quite dramatic throughout the property, particularly with the tree clearing and newfound expansive feeling on the property.    Any thoughts from those that have experienced the new course?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2021, 04:11:25 PM »
I played the course a few weeks ago and it was quite a shock considering I have seen it as far back as the 1976 PGA.  The course always had too many trees and there was no doubt that hundreds of pine trees had been planted over the years which really suffocated the course.  Now, there are virtually no trees on the course. I do not mean this in a negative way but when I first saw it I thought of Erin Hills without the long walks between holes.  I really liked the way it played although I will admit that it was really hot and we would have welcomed some shade.  The 5th hole has been straightened with a more interesting approach shot.  On the par 5 9th hole the ravine has been filled in quite a bit and the bridge is gone.  The par 3 10th hole has been redone again and still to me feels forced.  The 11th is a par 5 for the members and the pros play it as a par 4 and it used to play uphill with a stream down the right side and a pond to the right of the green. The green has been moved to the right of the stream and the second shot can be played straight ahead or to the right across the stream - I think the top players will like it more and the members should like having the options.  My recollection is that the 17th no longer has the abrupt end of the fairway and flows better.  The 18th remains essentially the same but without the trees so the long wispy grasses will have to be the challenge for an errant tee shot. It is no doubt a far better course and has become more unique and interesting than many parkland courses. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back