News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Ellison's Porcupine Creek turning into a private resort
« on: September 04, 2020, 11:00:27 AM »
Larry Ellison is developing his private course and estate into a private resort that won't be open to the public as per the website. To me it appears he will be selling 50 "keys" (pr speak for units I guess) inside the resort or fractional ownership maybe.

https://porcupinecreek.com/

• Will the retreat be open to the public?"The Retreat will be an exclusive destination for health and wellness enthusiasts, and therefore not open to the general public.
  • "One snipit about the golf course. "Proposed upgrades would include a rerouted golf course—on the existing fairways with some minor adjustments—"
  • Never played here although I was supposed to play this year in a Child Help charity tournament Ellison allows to use his course every year. Also Dick Butkus has hosted an annual golf event there to benefit his own foundation.
News article with some info.
https://www.desertsun.com/story/money/real-estate/2020/07/30/larry-ellison-plans-turn-porcupine-creek-into-private-exclusive-resort/5523430002/
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Drew Harvie

Re: Ellison's Porcupine Creek turning into a private resort
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 11:11:44 AM »
A wellness retreat in the desert? This is straight out of Arrested Development

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 04:22:49 PM »
There's nothing wrong about the outside weather in the desert in the fall, winter and spring. We do have air conditioning for those high temperature summer days. ;D  If one wants to play golf hike, walk, play pickleball or swim, some courses start play around day break. I tee off from 630 to 730 and sometimes play 9 holes.

Here's a " wellness resort" without golf: in Tucson:

https://www.canyonranch.com/tucson/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Greg Hohman

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 11:58:24 PM »
Steve, after playing Desert Dunes at the start of the year, I went thru Desert Hot Springs for the first time. The number of Mom-and-Pop spas surprised me. Ever been?
newmonumentsgc.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
Never been to a " Mom & Pop" spa. I don't think Larry Ellison travels in those circles.  Canyon Ranch in Tucson, well known in the
" wellness" industry, is top drawer and has some golf courses nearby.

In Sedona, AZ, the Enchantment Resort has the Mii Amo Spa which is highly rated in the spa world and the resort has access to the nearby Seven Canyons GC.  https://www.enchantmentresort.com/mii-amo-spa/

Ellison, co-founder of Oracle, to put it mildly,  has the funds to do this project.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 01:50:52 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Daryl David

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 08:29:45 PM »
Not sure about the mom and pop’s, but this is where you go if you want to bump into celebrities while relaxing I n the mud bath. Remember Tim Robbins in the Player?

https://twobunchpalms.com/

Greg Hohman

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 02:56:00 PM »
The porcupine site got me thinking about spas in the Palm Springs area, hence my post. I may start a thread seeking the names of affordable courses with affordable natural springs on site or nearby. A search of the DG using keyword spa came up empty. Saratoga NY fits the bill. Closer to home: Warner Springs, which was closed when I took up golf. The course has reopened (it is one of my favorites), but the resort across the street, also scheduled to reopen, will probably be beyond my means. Local friends who aren't made of money stayed in the old cottages, played golf and "healed their wounds" in the natural spring pool.
newmonumentsgc.com

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 11:32:05 PM »
Greg, have you looked into Borrego Springs?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 04:18:00 PM »
I called a Borrego RV park with saltwater pool, mineral baths and access to a course, was informed that the pool and baths are not sourced from natural springs and that no facility with natural springs exists in the town.
newmonumentsgc.com

Bruce Katona

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 08:31:45 AM »
So I clicked on the website to look at the new site plan for the "50 keys".  While i realize economics aren't always the focus of the big picture guys who have visions, it appears to me at 1st glance (even after viewing the site on Google Earth) there is quite a bit of paved road proposed for those 50 keys.

No one wants to ding up the RR/Bentley/Range Rover with rocks or get them dusty, but there's likely a better way to accommodate those 50 keys.

Just my $0.02

AChao

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 06:51:43 AM »
Is Ellison selling limited homes or timeshares?  I played PC when it just opened.  Lots of stupid stuff like blind water features, but I could see how it could be made a lot better with not that much work.  Not going to be a destination for many on this board, but I could see it doing great economically as it would offer a spa, tennis, and golf -- and probably close to no one playing golf.

Drew Harvie

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
Is Ellison selling limited homes or timeshares?  I played PC when it just opened.  Lots of stupid stuff like blind water features, but I could see how it could be made a lot better with not that much work.  Not going to be a destination for many on this board, but I could see it doing great economically as it would offer a spa, tennis, and golf -- and probably close to no one playing golf.

You're the only person I've ever heard of to play Porcupine Creek?! Wild!

AChao

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 04:38:58 AM »
Hi Drew,

I was one of the lucky few to play it around when it opened.  The driving range literally didn't have a divot on it.  Benjamin Netanyahu played it with Tim Blixeth the day before and I literally got the whole golf course to myself.  Around 5 years ago, a couple of my friends who are surgeons got to play it.  A charity outing I believe.

The course is interesting enough.  Blixeth wanted a theme for every hole, and it is extremely well maintained when I played it.  Think Quarry level.  A few very interesting holes and a few bad features - like blind creek through middle of the fairway.  The land has tremendous potential from what I recall.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 06:02:43 AM »
Hi Drew,

I was one of the lucky few to play it around when it opened.  The driving range literally didn't have a divot on it.  Benjamin Netanyahu played it with Tim Blixeth the day before and I literally got the whole golf course to myself.  Around 5 years ago, a couple of my friends who are surgeons got to play it.  A charity outing I believe.

The course is interesting enough.  Blixeth wanted a theme for every hole, and it is extremely well maintained when I played it.  Think Quarry level.  A few very interesting holes and a few bad features - like blind creek through middle of the fairway.  The land has tremendous potential from what I recall.

Hasnt Jason/Kahn completely revamped the course the last 5 years?
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

AChao

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 06:30:45 AM »
I think so.  I haven't played it since the first time.  I'd like to see it again.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 08:21:22 PM »
Never heard of this place until this thread. The backstory of the original owner is WILD!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Blixseth
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Daryl David

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 08:48:18 PM »

“You're the only person I've ever heard of to play Porcupine Creek?! Wild!”

PC has gotten a lot more play since Ellison has owned it through charity events.  I know lots that have played it in support of their favorite charities.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:51:35 PM by Daryl David »

AChao

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 03:50:31 AM »

Are there any reasonably priced spots at charity auctions for PC?  I wouldn't mind playing it again and seeing what Jackson-Kahn did.

PC has gotten a lot more play since Ellison has owned it through charity events.  I know lots that have played it in support of their favorite charities.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 04:16:21 AM »

I was scheduled to play in this years charity event in early March until Covid. They have hosted the yearly Childhelp fundraiser which has been limited from 36-48 players. Not cheap 5k per player, but you get a couple award dinners and 1 round at PC and another this year at Andalusia. Has been a very successful event in the past. Not sure what will happen in the future as it will I guess be public.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Drew Harvie

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »

Gotcha, thanks. I was unaware

Daryl David

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 07:24:00 PM »
PC is much better after the Jackson-Kahn work. That said, when it’s “open“ to public play, I doubt it will be considered to be in the top 5 in the valley.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 07:45:38 PM »
What's the difference between a private resort and a lavishly appointed club?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2020, 06:13:05 PM »
You hit golf balls with a lavishly appointed club ...

3 shows a night

tip your server
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2021, 10:45:34 PM »
Here is the link to the resort that will be opening on that property: https://sensei.com/retreats/porcupine-creek/

It will be the sister resort to Ellison's resort on Lanai in Hawaii.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2022, 07:54:40 PM »
Now accepting reservations. I picked a random Sun/Mon night stay in January 2023 to check pricing. Looks like base level hotel room runs about $1600/nt. and then $500/rd. for golf.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back