News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: UK GCA Knock-Out 2020 - Draw at Reply 28
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2020, 05:24:35 PM »
Good to hear James. I recommended to Mark that he try to play Strensall. I am sure you will both like the course.

James Reader

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2020, 04:51:08 AM »
Good to hear James. I recommended to Mark that he try to play Strensall. I am sure you will both like the course.

Your recommendation is a key reason that we’re playing there Jon.  I’m looking forward to it.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2020, 05:38:27 AM »
Tony, Sam and Adam.

Want to get Piltdown back on?
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Sam Krume

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2020, 07:26:38 AM »
Robin/Adam..I'm ready.Sam

Adam Uttley

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2020, 02:48:26 AM »
Yes I’m good to go. Probably won’t manage 36 anymore but will be glad of even 18.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2020, 11:47:23 AM »
Ah well...

James and I had a very pleasant (and drier than threatened) round at Strensall this morning.  Sadly I didn't offer much threat and James eased to a 3/2 win.  Whilst not quite at the level of the best of the Leeds courses, Strensall was very enjoyable.  They had obviously had quite a lot of work done on their bunkering scheme recently (the course planner on the website pre-dates this) which seemed to have been done pretty well, though appeared to cater for pretty low handicap players.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »
Mark,

glad you managed to play Strensall and though you didn't manage the win you seem to have enjoyed it. You are correct with your assertion that it is not up to the same level as the top tier of the Leeds courses but with the likes of Moortown and Alwoodley very few courses are. I would suggest however it is the best of the Vale of York courses and makes a very good side trip to a round at Ganton.

Well done James on your victory. Mark usually is quite a canny opponent as I found out last year.

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2020, 02:25:36 PM »
Mark,

glad you managed to play Strensall and though you didn't manage the win you seem to have enjoyed it. You are correct with your assertion that it is not up to the same level as the top tier of the Leeds courses but with the likes of Moortown and Alwoodley very few courses are. I would suggest however it is the best of the Vale of York courses and makes a very good side trip to a round at Ganton.

Well done James on your victory. Mark usually is quite a canny opponent as I found out last year.

Jon
Jon,

I certainly preferred it to Fulford and we both really enjoyed the greens.  No massive undulations but really intelligent angled greens with some quite serious slopes to take account of.  And the bunkering is really intelligent, I thought.  I'd be very happy to go back.  Thanks for suggesting it, we wouldn't have gone there if you hadn't and I'm very glad we did.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Reader

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2020, 04:53:09 PM »
Thanks for a really enjoyable game Mark.

Completely agree on the course.  I wasn’t aware of it until a few weeks ago and am very glad that you recommended it, Jon.

It’s been a fun week of Yorkshire golf for me (in spite of the awful weather), with York today and Baildon on Tuesday.  Two completely different courses - heath/park v moor; tree-lined v no trees; dead flat v up on “the tops” - but both very good in their own way.  And Fixby tomorrow morning; something of a combination of the two.

There’s a lot of good golf in Yorkshire outside of the Gaston/Alwoodley/Moortown tier.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2020, 06:49:52 PM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

James Boon

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2020, 05:39:06 PM »
Duncan and I played our match earlier today. He had home advantage as we chose to play at Cavendish, though it wasnt like it was my first time playing there! Unfortunately Duncan's ability to always throw in a few birdies off his 13 handicap (usually on par 3s while I was making a mess of choosing the right club!) meant he managed to win by 1 hole. Good luck against Ben, Duncan!

After plenty of warm dry weather I was hoping to play the firm and fast Cavendish I remember as a kid and which the contours of the whole course but especially the greens, really deserve. Unfortunately a wet week leading up to the game meant everything was quite wet underfoot, with not much role on drives and approaches to greens needing to be thrown right up to the flag. But despite this the quality of Cavendish still shone through on an otherwise drab day!

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2020, 01:13:49 AM »
It was a pleasure as always to play with James yesterday at Cavendish, the obvious venue for our match as it is equidistant between our respective homes.

On a dreich day which felt more like November than July the course didn't shine at its very best, but our game was always close with never more than a couple of holes in it. It was the five par 3's that made the difference, four of which I managed to win with the other halved. Local knowledge?

James's disgust was palpable when I shamelessly pulled out my driver on the 180 yard uphill 13th and proceeded to dink my ball to the heart of the green, making par to go 2 up. I turned 60 a few weeks ago and am enthusiastically embracing the art of "old man's golf!"

Birdies at 14 and 16 brought James back to all square and the momentum was definitely with him, particularly after he hit a glorious 6-iron apparently right on the pin at the deceptively long par 3 17th. My 4-iron was hit sweetly too, albeit slightly right. On getting to the green however, it turned out that James was 15 ft short while I was pin high with a 6 footer which I managed to drain for the hole! I do seem to have this knack of delivering a stiletto between James's shoulder blades at critical moments...

My double bogey (with a shot) was enough to halve the magnificent 18th and take the match.

Hard luck James, and hopefully you'll be back at Cavendish very soon in dryer conditions!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:51:51 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2020, 03:42:21 PM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2020, 06:26:44 PM »
Regrettably Ben informs me that he is withdrawing from this year's knockout because of COVID concerns for his elderly father who he lives with.

I look forward therefore, to a game with James Reader in the second round proper.

What about Hopwood, James?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2020, 05:25:51 PM »
After a couple of false starts and a late venue change, Adam Uttley v Sam Krume and Tony Muldoon v myself shall take place on Friday 24th July over the Duchess Course at Woburn. If we were more organised we could immediately play the second round too, but we have a pm tee time to keep the green fee down.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Ben Stephens

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2020, 06:59:36 AM »
After a couple of false starts and a late venue change, Adam Uttley v Sam Krume and Tony Muldoon v myself shall take place on Friday 24th July over the Duchess Course at Woburn. If we were more organised we could immediately play the second round too, but we have a pm tee time to keep the green fee down.

Crikey Robin!

You have picked one of the tightest golf courses that you can play in the UK!! Sounds like the straightest hitter will prevail

Cheers
Ben

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2020, 07:29:00 AM »
Indeed! But I've not played it, so happy to go with Adam's suggestion.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2020, 09:25:21 AM »
Indeed! But I've not played it, so happy to go with Adam's suggestion.

Well the first fairway is probably the widest of the lot and then you come to a great long par 3 - I like the opening two holes its a tough opener. I have been fortunate to play all 3 Woburn courses. I would put the Dukes ahead of Duchess and the Duchess ahead of the Marquess which has bit too much American flavour to it compared to the other two and the walk between green and tees is not for the faint hearted.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2020, 09:34:05 AM »

Crikey Robin!

You have picked one of the tightest golf courses that you can play in the UK!! Sounds like the straightest hitter will prevail

Cheers
Ben

Note to self...

... the next time I’m drawn against Ben insist on playing the match at Woburn on the Duchess!

🤣

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »
Ben, i'll pass on your comments and regards to my work colleague Ross...who designed the Marquess. I'm sure he will appreciate you putting his course 3rd of 3!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2020, 01:30:37 PM »
Ben, i'll pass on your comments and regards to my work colleague Ross...who designed the Marquess. I'm sure he will appreciate you putting his course 3rd of 3!

Playing the Dukes and Duchess makes me appreciate Charles Lawrie's work there more - he is not mentioned enough on GCA IMO. You will find out yourself the shape of the holes actually work out quite well and greens with nice subtle contours. Most of the members I know at Woburn play the Duchess more than the other two.

The Marquess is mostly used by the societies more than the other two. Its ok with one or two really good holes. Thought it was designed by Alliss and Clark (as the primary designers) with input from Ross McMurray and Alex Hay.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2020, 01:32:12 PM »

Crikey Robin!

Cheers
Ben

Note to self...

... the next time I’m drawn against Ben insist on playing the match at Woburn on the Duchess!

🤣

Happy to take you on the Duchess anytime and one of my favourites member courses to play is Kings Lynn which is really tight. Both courses need to shape the tee shots well and the ball can be found in the trees no problem. ;D [size=78%] [/size]

Ben Stephens

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2020, 01:34:56 PM »

Playing the Dukes and Duchess makes me appreciate Charles Lawrie's work there more - he is not mentioned enough on GCA IMO. You will find out yourself the shape of the holes actually work out quite well and greens with nice subtle contours. Most of the members I know at Woburn play the Duchess more than the other two.

The Marquess is mostly used by the societies more than the other two. Its ok with one or two really good holes. Thought it was designed by Alliss and Clark (as the primary designers) with input from Ross McMurray and Alex Hay.

The Marquess is not a bad course its just I prefer the other two as they are more British in feel/look and it can be played quickly - the Duchess is underrated by many as you will find out next Friday. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 02:28:25 PM by Ben Stephens »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2020, 05:12:37 PM »
Ross designed it all - the rest was politics and promotion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back