News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Reader

Re: UK GCA Knock-Out 2020 - Draw at Reply 28
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2020, 09:15:02 AM »
Putting this out there to Adam and Sam.

Join Tony and I at Piltdown for your match.  We're homing in on a date between May 15 and 18 inclusive.
Now this is properly in the spirit.  Interesting venue and getting GCAers together!

James,

An evening in Yorkshire some time in the late Spring?  You're far more knowledgeable than me on suitable venues, so throw some ideas into the mix.

Mark

Sounds good Mark.  Something to look forward to - which is to be welcomed at this point!

Which West Yorkshire courses have you played? Are there any that you’re particularly keen to see?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »
The ones I have played are Alwoodley, Moortown, Sand Moor and Headingley.  Keen to see any of those west of Leeds, though conscious that you might want to get away from the M62!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2020, 01:40:52 PM »
Damn and blast, see that Jon Wiggett and his big mouth..........

Ari,

Here's another thought, shall we see if we can get a four ball with another couple of contestants, and we can play both games at the same time ? Anyone else from the Scottish section interested ?

Niall

I would be up for that. If it is Oban way then I must remember it just to bring three clubs and a Sherpa to take it on. Maybe Spean Bridge as I have heard that is really, really flat  ;D Other options would be Perth way Auchterader or the like?

What does Michael think?

Jon

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2020, 01:53:51 PM »
The ones I have played are Alwoodley, Moortown, Sand Moor and Headingley.  Keen to see any of those west of Leeds, though conscious that you might want to get away from the M62!

Mark,

Howley Hall in Morley is worth a look as is Otley so long as it is dry and Ilkley is a nice track. Baildon is also decent though that is more Bradford. Also the Huddersfield Golf Club (Fixby) is worth a look. Not west of Leeds but Leeds Golf Club (Cobble Hall) is a nice course too.

Jon

Ari Techner

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
Damn and blast, see that Jon Wiggett and his big mouth..........

Ari,

Here's another thought, shall we see if we can get a four ball with another couple of contestants, and we can play both games at the same time ? Anyone else from the Scottish section interested ?

Niall

I would be up for that. If it is Oban way then I must remember it just to bring three clubs and a Sherpa to take it on. Maybe Spean Bridge as I have heard that is really, really flat  ;D Other options would be Perth way Auchterader or the like?

What does Michael think?

Jon

I'm up for that.  You guys just let me know when/where.  With the UK to USA travel ban now I'm not going anywhere anytime soon......

James Reader

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2020, 04:34:44 PM »

Mark,

Howley Hall in Morley is worth a look as is Otley so long as it is dry and Ilkley is a nice track. Baildon is also decent though that is more Bradford. Also the Huddersfield Golf Club (Fixby) is worth a look. Not west of Leeds but Leeds Golf Club (Cobble Hall) is a nice course too.

Jon

Of the courses I’ve not yet played, Baildon and Ilkley would be high on my list Mark.  I’m a member at Fixby and would be very happy to host you there any time and Ogden (Halifax GC), where I used to be a member, is another one worth seeing. 

I’ll let you take the pick of those.  Whichever most appeals to you.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2020, 06:24:44 PM »
James,

Fixby and Ogden are high on my list this Summer but having had a chat about bicycles with the Butcher of Baildon (older UK GCAers will get it) earlier this week and seeing it come up on the list, let's play our match there.  But let's arrange the other two at some stage too, if you're up for it....

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Reader

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2020, 06:36:49 PM »
Sounds great Mark.

If anyone else is up for a Fixby/Ogden trip later in the year, I’d be delighted to host.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2020, 09:01:57 PM »
Mark - is the Butcher still playing golf? We’ve not seen or heard from him in ages. Can he be coaxed into a game?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2020, 04:17:55 AM »
Mark - is the Butcher still playing golf? We’ve not seen or heard from him in ages. Can he be coaxed into a game?
We spoke for half an hour and didn't really mention golf.  I think we're going to get together for a ride later this year (it strikes me that will be like playing with him, I'll be outclassed but enjoy it thoroughly) and I'll ask.  It would be great to get him out.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2020, 01:57:24 PM »
The news today that despite Boris's incoherent piffle-paffle last night 2-ball golf is back on this week makes me think that James and I should get our fingers out and organise our game. Everyone else has a bye!

It's not clear yet whether clubs will be opening to unaccompanied visitors this month but at worst we could play it over 36 holes - home and away!

We probably both need a week or so to blow the cobwebs off though!  ;)

Adam Uttley

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2020, 06:32:43 AM »
Sam (and Robin & Tony)

I’ve been assuming for some time that we wouldn’t be playing our game at Piltdown on Friday. I don’t think the resumption, as it stands, really changes that, do you?

I guess we wait until visitor play resumes? I am happy to host at my home course (Woburn) if it only looks like member-guest is possible.

Adam

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2020, 08:08:28 AM »
Hi Adam

Yes, Friday is much too soon, sadly. I like the sound of your back-up plan though!

I don't think it will be too long before we can resume, but doubtful we can play in a group of four.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

James Reader

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
Mark

Is it time to start thinking about setting a date for our match? 

Are you down in Leeds during the week, or still working from home in the North East? You suggested Baildon as a possible venue but, if you’re not getting down this way, perhaps we could look for somewhere else that’s more up your way.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »

James,

if you get a nice day Baildon would make a very good venue. Excellent moorland course with some glorious views.

James Reader

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2020, 05:48:16 PM »

James,

if you get a nice day Baildon would make a very good venue. Excellent moorland course with some glorious views.

I’m definitely planning to play it at some point this summer.  It’s one of the few courses round here that’s already open to visitors and I nearly booked it for a game on Friday - can’t get a game on my home course at Fixby at the moment if you don’t book it a week in advance!  In the end I decided on Sand Moor instead - in part because I know Mark’s also keen to play Baildon.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2020, 02:34:02 AM »
Hi James,

Yes, I think we (and others!) should start to look at dates to play.  I'm not in Leeds at the moment (we're working from home unless there's a a compelling client need to be in the office), so that does change my thinking about venues a bit, though I'm not sure there's much of great interest roughly halfway between us (Seaton Carew aside), though I am keen at some point to see Cleveland.  The other that Jon Wiggett mentioned recently (and which Andrew Mitchell, the Butcher of Baildon, commented favourably on here back in 2007) is Strensall.

Let me have a think about logistics (if I have to make a trip to the office in the next few weeks that would change things again and put Baildon back top of the list) and we can agree.  As to dates, I suspect there's more flexibility than there might have been previously.  Though having been on the verge of buying a new car before lock down, I find myself without one, so will be borrowing my son'd and that depends on them not returning to Manchester to clear out of student houses!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2020, 03:41:24 AM »

Mark,

we are still pretty much in lockdown in Scotland. Courses open but restriction (5 miles or so) on how far you should travel. I suspect this might stay this way for a while and so doubt any of the 'northern' draw will be playing any time soon.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2020, 06:15:04 AM »
Jon,

I need to drive up to Glasgow with my son soon to clear out his flat.

It seems from your post that would not be possible at the moment. Is that so?

I was thinking of doing it this weekend!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2020, 06:46:25 AM »
Jon,

I need to drive up to Glasgow with my son soon to clear out his flat.

It seems from your post that would not be possible at the moment. Is that so?

I was thinking of doing it this weekend!
My wife needs to visit her parents in Edinburgh (her mother is at risk).  We're pretty sure that, at the moment, the rules don't allow this.  So our understanding is that that is not currently possible.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2020, 01:20:33 PM »
That is correct as far as I understand it. No unnecessary travel that is further than 5 miles.

James Reader

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2020, 03:19:55 PM »
Mark

I assumed you’d probably be at home and Strensall was one that occurred to me as a possibility.  Another option might be Pannal, which I’ve never played but heard some good things about.  Have you played there?  If not, does anyone else have a view?

It doesn’t look as if either course is open for visitors yet but hopefully that’ll change soon.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »
Mark

I assumed you’d probably be at home and Strensall was one that occurred to me as a possibility.  Another option might be Pannal, which I’ve never played but heard some good things about.  Have you played there?  If not, does anyone else have a view?

It doesn’t look as if either course is open for visitors yet but hopefully that’ll change soon.
James,

No, Pannal is another I haven't played.  Let's keep an eye on the situation.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2020, 06:43:47 AM »
Pannal is a nice course and a well to do club which I visited with the MacKenzie Society some years ago.

I have no abiding memories of the course other than it was a pleasant parkland experience with rather too many trees. I believe they’ve had the chainsaws out since then.

James Reader

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2020, 04:12:38 PM »
Mark and I are finally getting things underway.  We’re playing at York/Strensall next Friday.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back