News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darragh Garrahy

A week in GB&I playing the same course..
« on: October 12, 2019, 07:35:00 AM »
I have some time off in Jan 2020 and was toying with the idea of spending a week or so at a course/area in GB&I and immersing myself in the course (maybe 2 courses).

The idea entered my head as I remembered a post where someone mentioned that the concept of the weekly pass is less done these days..I think it may have been someone referencing a great week they spent at St Enodoc.

Where would you go? I've played most of the championship courses. Thinking of somewhere like St Enodoc.

Thanks
Darragh

Tommy Williamsen

Re: A week in GB&I playing the same course..
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 07:57:15 AM »
I have spent a week at both Royal North Devon and Staunton as an overseas member. It was great to learn the courses so well.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Tang

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »
Lahinch.  I spent one day there 10 years ago and became enchanted by the course.  I think spending a week on the course and in the town would be amazing.  Fantastic course, charming seaside town with welcoming people.

Plus, Ballybunion is not too far away if looking to add in a little variety.

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 08:03:24 AM »

Thanks Tommy. Playing RND next wwwk actually. Those courses you mentioned are along the lines of what I was thinking.

I have spent a week at both Royal North Devon and Staunton as an overseas member. It was great to learn the courses so well.

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 08:05:16 AM »

Have enjoyed Lahinch & Ballyb many times, being from Ireland. I haven't explored Donegal so that's an option.

I suspect I'm more interested in the likes of Brora, St Enodoc etc.

Hard to get info about weekly golf passes from my rudimentary searches!

Lahinch.  I spent one day there 10 years ago and became enchanted by the course.  I think spending a week on the course and in the town would be amazing.  Fantastic course, charming seaside town with welcoming people.

Plus, Ballybunion is not too far away if looking to add in a little variety.

Brian Finn

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »
Seems many of the courses in the Highlands offer week passes. Brora, Golspie, Tain all in the £200-£225 range seems like the best value imaginable for a visitor.
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs)...

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 09:00:17 AM »
Lovely Brian, thanks.
Looking at South East and west England for weather early Jan. Royal N Devon overseas membership for 250GBP could be the way forward if I could get another 3/4 days there in summer.

Best
Darragh

Seems many of the courses in the Highlands offer week passes. Brora, Golspie, Tain all in the £200-£225 range seems like the best value imaginable for a visitor.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
While I get the idea of playing one course and getting to know it intimately(well not really),I'd say it would be a shame not to explore one or two others(or a local 9 holer)
On my recent trip to northeast Scotland I can't remember a course that was more than 40 pounds(and many far less) and 50-60 for a day ticket.

But if I was I think it would be Aberdovey
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
Mark Bourgeois is your man.

He’s done this at a couple of places but my favourite was when he went to Lahinch for a week on his son’s 18th birthday. Every day of 7 was as follows:

- Morning 18 whilst son slept in
- Early afternoon surfing for both
- Evening 18 with son
- Dinner and two pints

If the fitness is there, this sounds like heaven.

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »

Nirvana. Hope the two pints were at Frawleys when it was open.

He’s done this at a couple of places but my favourite was when he went to Lahinch for a week on his son’s 18th birthday. Every day of 7 was as follows:

- Evening 18 with son
- Dinner and two pints

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 10:42:31 AM »

That actually sounds a bit pricey in terms of what you can get elsewhere or indeed pay for a round. There's a links course in Ayrshire which is offering winter golf (4 months) for either £300 or £400.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »
The further north you go the less playing time (less daylight) and the more likelihood of frost, which could limit your playing time (not just course closed but others wishing to play squeezed into a shorter time frame). On the coast less likelihood of frost.
Also worth investigating is that some, although by all means not all, courses require you to play and carry around with you small a mat to play off in the winter or require ‘fairway’ shots to be played from the edge of the rough.
Some clubs have their onsite dormie accommodation open through the winter. Some have restricted catering.
Atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 11:46:00 AM »

- Evening 18 with son
- Dinner and two pints

I’ve been to a lot of pubs in Ireland that haven’t changed much over the years. But I reckon Frawley’s hadn’t changed AT ALL. Felt like I was going back 100 years in time.

I first went in to chat to the owner - well in to his eighties or nineties and tending the bar alongside his wife - because I had a tip that his father had worked on the course in 1907 when Charles Gibson had made the first major changes. Gibson gets somewhat forgotten in the history of Lahinch but he introduced some of the most iconic holes on the front nine. Unfortunately Mr. Frawley couldn’t give me any worthwhile course info.

Shame the pub closed with his passing.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 01:41:46 PM »
One of the perks of staying at one club for a week is meeting and playing with some of the members and if you have an overseas membership, playing in one of the club competitions.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 02:04:15 PM »
Here are some I've thought about.  The prices listed are for overseas memberships.

Aberdovey as mentioned is a steal at £115
Fraserburgh £160.
Westward Ho £250
Royal St. Davids £330 (can't tell if there is a joining fee).
Peterhead £340
Machrihanish £355

Portsalon was attractive but it's been some time since I contacted them and they don't publish the rate.
I have utilized the links ticket in St. Andrews which is a good deal if playing a lot.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 02:16:07 PM »

That actually sounds a bit pricey in terms of what you can get elsewhere or indeed pay for a round. There's a links course in Ayrshire which is offering winter golf (4 months) for either £300 or £400.

Niall

Wow, that seem pricey  ;) ;D as Golspie offers overseas yearly membership for less than that with reciprocals at the other local courses including RDGC.

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 04:34:08 PM »

- Evening 18 with son
- Dinner and two pints

I’ve been to a lot of pubs in Ireland that haven’t changed much over the years. But I reckon Frawley’s hadn’t changed AT ALL. Felt like I was going back 100 years in time.

I first went in to chat to the owner - well in to his eighties or nineties and tending the bar alongside his wife - because I had a tip that his father had worked on the course in 1907 when Charles Gibson had made the first major changes. Gibson gets somewhat forgotten in the history of Lahinch but he introduced some of the most iconic holes on the front nine. Unfortunately Mr. Frawley couldn’t give me any worthwhile course info.

Shame the pub closed with his passing.

Reading of Gibson at Royal N Devon in Sean Arbles In My Opinion piece on Burnham & Berrow. Must say I don't know too much of his work.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »
I suggest that the east/south coast of England is a better bet than other obvious choices. Less chance of rain, frost and general shit weather.

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ken Moum

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 06:12:22 PM »

The overseas membership at those three is very affordable.  And they are all part of the group of Highlands courses that have reciprocal rates.

If you spend much time in the area, you can probably save enough to justify the membership.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 07:03:45 PM »
"Thinking of somewhere like St Enodoc."

Darragh -

Have you checked with St. Enodoc? Will they offer you a weekly ticket?

West Cornwall GC offers a Country Membership for under 230 pounds, but I have not played there and don't know if the course is interesting enough to entertain you for a week.

DT

P.S. My guess is a good number of clubs will be willing for offer you some sort of weekly ticket for a visit in January even if they don't offer one on their website. It wouldn't hurt to contact the Club Secretary and ask.

P.P.S. Machrihanish GC is charging a winter green fee of 35 pounds. You could go there and have the option of playing Machrihanish Dunes at their winter green fee rate of 40 pounds.

https://www.machgolf.com/rates/
http://machrihanishdunes.com/golf/golf-rates/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:12:42 PM by David_Tepper »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 10:48:43 PM »
I suggest that the east/south coast of England is a better bet than other obvious choices. Less chance of rain, frost and general shit weather.

Absolutely.  I love Machrihanish and Aberdovey and Pennard, but in January?  It's going to rain a lot.  Also likely to get some at St Enodoc, though the food could make up for it.

Deal or Rye would be awesome, too.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2019, 11:17:52 AM »

Absolutely.  I love Machrihanish and Aberdovey and Pennard, but in January?  It's going to rain a lot.  Also likely to get some at St Enodoc, though the food could make up for it.

Actually, almost everywhere in the UK January is one of the driest months.  Taking Berwick upon Tweed as a random example, on average January is the fourth driest month, with only February, March and April being, on average, drier.  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/gcyt62suu January will be cold, and may feel miserable with the short days but it won't normally be particularly wet.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Brown

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2019, 06:18:43 PM »
Would be really interesting to play TOC for 4-5 days in a row in January.  Winter golf in Scotland can be magical even when it’s cold.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2019, 07:27:33 PM »
I played TOC 4 times in 3 days. Weather wasn't as big of a factor day to day as much as the hole locations. It really helped sink in just how big those greens are.

But you wouldn't want to try this in January - TOC has mandatory winter mats.

I'd think a more subtle course like Muirfield or Troon might be interesting to attempt on multiple consecutive days. Would help make a visitor appreciate details that might be overlooked on a one time visit?

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »

Actually, almost everywhere in the UK January is one of the driest months.  Taking Berwick upon Tweed as a random example, on average January is the fourth driest month, with only February, March and April being, on average, drier.  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/gcyt62suu January will be cold, and may feel miserable with the short days but it won't normally be particularly wet.

As Sean points out - there is a big difference between east and west.

Here in Manchester for instance, January is the third wettest month overall, and the month when it is most likely to rain on any single day. Interestingly however, February is relatively dry. Or maybe that is because there are fewer days in February!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/gcqrqyr80#?nearestTo=

Oh, and I wouldn't bother with Machrihanish...   ;)

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/gcggqkdp5

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:02:07 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back