News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Country Club of Charleston and USGA Women's Open 2019
« on: June 01, 2019, 01:16:06 PM »
We have a wee contiguous thread (https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67208.0.html) and a 2009 RANdom act of Review (https://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/country-club-of-charleston/) as points of departure.

I'm enjoying the viewing tremendously. It's always a surprise when the Fox Sports1 crew gets something correct, but the Lions Mouth, the VolcaRedan, the other wondrous holes, have me speechless. What fun this must be to play.

I'm guessing that Country Club of Charleston and the Seth Raynor society hold Brian Silva in a bit higher esteem than did Wampanoag in 1987, where the Donald Ross society's birth came about because of Silva's work there. Am I incorrect?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Martin

Re: Country Club of Charleston and USGA Women's Open 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 01:46:46 PM »
The short miss on 11 took it’s toll on a number of players yesterday. The second shot becomes tougher when pinned closer to the swale and it seems that getting it anywhere on the top portion is the play to make four and run.

Nick Ribeiro

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 03:04:48 PM »
We have a wee contiguous thread (https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67208.0.html) and a 2009 RANdom act of Review (https://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/country-club-of-charleston/) as points of departure.

I'm enjoying the viewing tremendously. It's always a surprise when the Fox Sports1 crew gets something correct, but the Lions Mouth, the VolcaRedan, the other wondrous holes, have me speechless. What fun this must be to play.

I'm guessing that Country Club of Charleston and the Seth Raynor society hold Brian Silva in a bit higher esteem than did Wampanoag in 1987, where the Donald Ross society's birth came about because of Silva's work there. Am I incorrect?

I agree completely. It's great to see the ladies showcase our classics. Gives us who like to see the courses on TV nice variety. Seniors are great to watch as well, they also get to some courses you'd never see the tour get to.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »
My son is there. He said the crowd is sparse, but he says the course looks great
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 04:59:52 PM »
There are a lot of fun holes with some nice long views out to the Stono River Bridge which takes you to Johns Island. The first hole reminds me of the starter at Southampton Golf Club as a wide open straightaway par four with a cool green. 11 and 16 on the inward side are fantastic but the whole golf course is good.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 05:05:31 PM »
I am a little surprised that the telecast has mentioned very little about the Raynor design, ..... hole names, templates etc
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 05:07:24 PM »
I am a little surprised that the telecast has mentioned very little about the Raynor design, ..... hole names, templates etc

+1

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 05:12:15 PM »
Did you watch Thursday and Friday's coverage? They did quite a bit of it. Not as much as we might like, but they talked about a number of them, with obvious special interest on the 11th.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 05:16:41 PM »
I’ve not seen as much of this on TV as I would have liked given the course.
I wonder though what the % of tee shots hitting and staying on the 11th green has been so far? And the % of birdies made and % of 2-putt pars?
Also, have any players laid-up on the 11th yet and if so I wonder what there scores have been?
Atb

Carl Rogers

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 05:18:03 PM »
insanely slow pace of play .... if not for the Raynor course, I would fall asleep.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

V_Halyard

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 06:06:35 PM »

Agree here. I am a bit behind from travel so am at work catching up on Friday's Round 2 and have been completely engaged by the crisp coverage hosted by Shane Bacon, Brad Faxon and anchored by the most expert brains of Julie Inkster. The commentary is refreshingly architecturally inclusive and astute. Seth Raynor Brian Silva and Kyle Franz are having good days on TV. The marketing and promo has been lax as there seems to be a bit of a US Women's Open news embargo on Golf Channel but that's business.
As far as I have seen, the USGA has gotten this course well dialed-in and balanced, including before and after the Lightening Tree.

"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 07:59:15 PM »

Agree here. I am a bit behind from travel so am at work catching up on Friday's Round 2 and have been completely engaged by the crisp coverage hosted by Shane Bacon, Brad Faxon and anchored by the most expert brains of Julie Inkster. The commentary is refreshingly architecturally inclusive and astute. Seth Raynor Brian Silva and Kyle Franz are having good days on TV. The marketing and promo has been lax as there seems to be a bit of a US Women's Open news embargo on Golf Channel but that's business.
As far as I have seen, the USGA has gotten this course well dialed-in and balanced, including before and after the Lightening Tree.

Agree on all counts.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 09:33:03 AM »

Astute observations
Faxon is very good
So many on other networks are so weak, yet somehow survive and even thrive.
though a little progress was made this week :)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Brightly

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 02:32:06 PM »
Kudos to Fox. Excellent architectural discussion leading into Sunday's broadcast. Fantastic photographic review of the templates, including holes after which CC of C's holes were modeled. Faxon did a really good job.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 05:13:47 PM »
Kudos to Fox. Excellent architectural discussion leading into Sunday's broadcast. Fantastic photographic review of the templates, including holes after which CC of C's holes were modeled. Faxon did a really good job.

+ 1

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 05:24:39 PM »
+2
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »
I wish there were more holes akin to the 11th.
It seems to present a wonderful golfing puzzle. A puzzle of both skill and brain.
To steal a few words from Winston Churchill on a rather different subject - “It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma....”
Atb

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 05:32:22 PM »
It seems to present a wonderful golfing puzzle. A puzzle of both skill and brain.
To steal a few words from Winston Churchill on a rather different subject - “It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma....”
Atb
The large* greens are letting people like Lexi and Jessica Korda hit a lot of greens, but since they're 50+ feet away too often, they're three-putting and/or just making pars far more often.

* Compared to the greens they normally play, I mean.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Bill Brightly

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 05:39:48 PM »
Atb

I agree, and I'm fortunate that my home course, Hackensack, contains Banks' best one.

The US Open website has a nice video about this Reverse Redan

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/videos/2019/06/02/us-womens-open-the-course-round-3-6043644112001.html

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »
I’ve not seen as much of this on TV as I would have liked given the course.
I wonder though what the % of tee shots hitting and staying on the 11th green has been so far? And the % of birdies made and % of 2-putt pars?
Also, have any players laid-up on the 11th yet and if so I wonder what there scores have been?
Atb

I have a friend who is long-time competitor in the Azalea Am at Cc of charleston and always laid up on 11 and made par 75% of the time. He never won but finished second a couple of times. He was a plus two and still laid up.
With ten foot deep bunker on the right and a deep one on the left it is easy to make a quick five. I would like to have seen what the ladies.

The first time I played the course I aimed at the center of the green, hit it and walked off with three. The second tune I thought, "Go for it again." Made a nice five.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David Druzisky

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 09:53:27 AM »
Yes, very nice review of the architecture at the beginning and on occasion with comments and references by the cast.  Kudo's to Faxon.  But during the rounds, the camera angles and shots were not great and it was a bit plodding at times for me since they were not showing how the shots set up.  Sometimes the networks get the idea that the match is really between the player and the course.  Others, and too often they only talk about this swing or that stroke etc (I guess that's what the folks talking know).  A couple times they had the camera down on the ground near the player and with those short athletic skirts the ladies are wearing, that may not be a good thing.

Our daughter is going to school there just across the Ashley so I need to get over there on one of our visits.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »
insanely slow pace of play .... if not for the Raynor course, I would fall asleep.

The USGA did issue a pace of play penalty Saturday.

Interestingly, it was assigned to an amateur.

William_G

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 08:29:34 AM »

The USGA did issue a pace of play penalty Saturday.

Interestingly, it was assigned to an amateur.

the USGA can be pathetic, 6 hour round, an amateur shooting 79, how not to grow the game  :o

how can one speed up if the whole field is taking 6 hours? and what impact is there? stupid merica
It's all about the golf!

Buck Wolter

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »

This is worth a look -- very well done with a Anthony Pioppi shoutout

https://twitter.com/golfonfox/status/1135254000176156673?s=21
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Bill Brightly

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »
Thanks for posting that Buck. I caught it before the golf started on Sunday but others may have missed it. I commend Fox and Faxon for that piece!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back