News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Well, almost. Last week, at the urging of my son and the night porter, I went to O'Connor's Famous Pub in Galway. It is perhaps the most immersive functional public space I have ever seen. There is stuff on the ceiling, the floors, and on every square inch of the walls. It was really like stepping into another world.

Likewise, when I got to the second tee at Dooks, I felt like I had entered a magical golf snow globe. At every other course, you are looking at the scenery. Here, you are inside of and part of the scenery. Goosebumps and a lump in one's throat all the way around. Be sure to click on these for large format.

Eight

Nine

Fourteen

Eighteen
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike Sweeney

Re: Some large-format photographs of Dooks, for I am speechless
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 06:28:15 PM »
Mr Moore,

After our split, Dylan and Dad went to "The Big City" and hung out at Brazen Head :)

“The Brazen Head is a warren of rooms, each oozing its own atmosphere.  Every knook and cranny displaying items of interest depicting Dublin and Ireland of past and present. You can't walk out of here without feeling you've experienced a bit of Irish culture and hospitality at its best .”

Proper golf followed at Portmarnock and The Island:

But with a soft spot for Maine, Dooks looks awesome. Great trip, great golf, and great friends. Thanks Ran
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Greg Hohman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 07:25:18 PM »
What made O'Connor's famous? I am a 1987 UCG (now Nat'l Univ. of Ireland) grad. O'C's, one of several places known for music, did not, iirc, dub itself famous and did not have the bric-a-brac decor.

I did not play golf then. ???

newmonumentsgc.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 03:22:22 AM »
Special place the course at Dooks GC. Epic location. But my, hasn't the green-fee gone up the last couple of years.
atb

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 05:56:21 PM »
Dai, re the Dooks green fee - I fear to some extent that’s the Stella Artois effect. Similarly seen at the likes of Portstewart and (to a (slightly) lesser extent) Castlerock in the environs of an Irish links behemoth.

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 06:03:50 PM »
And a great description of Dooks Michael. Real sensory overload location just for a walk, never mind trying to play golf.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 05:13:11 AM »
Dai, re the Dooks green fee - I fear to some extent that’s the Stella Artois effect. Similarly seen at the likes of Portstewart and (to a (slightly) lesser extent) Castlerock in the environs of an Irish links behemoth.

The reno must have been fairly expensive. Upon re-opening the fee was set much higher. I have to believe this was the strategy. Narin & Portnoo are doing the same thing. Strandhill as well but that course did not shut down. Irish golf is once again going through times of hyper inflated fees. It makes me think a crash is coming.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 05:40:26 AM »

The reno must have been fairly expensive. Upon re-opening the fee was set much higher. I have to believe this was the strategy. Narin & Portnoo are doing the same thing. Strandhill as well but that course did not shut down. Irish golf is once again going through times of hyper inflated fees. It makes me think a crash is coming.

Ciao

I can guarantee you that the Strandhill green fee going up has zero to do with recovering cost from the renovation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back