News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Mike Cirba
« on: April 02, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
 https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-mike-cirba/

For over 20 years the Feature Interview section has helped advance the mission of GolfClubAtlas.  We have interviewed numerous people who make their living from golf including architects, green keepers and PGA players. We have also featured scores of authors who earn a paltry sum compared to time spent. This month we will start a focus on interviewing individuals who help us better understand the game but receive no financial compensation for their efforts. Their contributions are no less significant and perhaps more vital because their efforts are borne of only a love for the game and intellectual curiosity. Welcome to this month's Feature Interview with Mike Cirba, who certainly needs no introduction to anyone who follows this Discussion Group.

Mike's considered posts over the years speak for themselves as do his well-researched In My Opinion pieces. His love of the sport is palpable and his endeavors give back to the game. The sport is lucky to have Mike and we trace his path, from a self-professed muni-rat in northeastern Pennsylvania to a world-traveler who has experienced the Merion's and Muirfield's among the 1000+ courses he’s visited. He has developed a keen eye in part because he has played such a vast array of courses, from rural farm courses to sophisticated designs that showcase state-of-the-art agronomy.

When not playing, reading or doing research, he has devoted a chunk of his free time to the Friends of Cobb's Creek (which needs Friends because its sign misspells its own name). This is a group of concerned golfers who have spotlighted this special municipal course and are pushing for a thoughtful restoration. If their noble cause is successful, it would be a great gift to the greater Philadelphia area and a beacon for forgotten municipal courses across America.

I relate well to him, in part, because both he and I made our maiden pilgrimages to the UK in the same year (1981). Plus, it was through books and gazing at pictures of great golf holes that we both became hooked on architecture. While Mike is a traditionalist, he freely acknowledges he is a hypocrite when it comes to technology, railing against what it has done to the classic courses while embracing it in his own game. Who can't relate?!

This diagram of the Road Hole and its puzzling angles caught the eye of Mike Cirba at age 15.

One reason I begged Mike to act as guinea pig in this effort to showcase the 'amateur's' contribution to architecture is because he is such a fine writer. That matters for a Feature Interview! In describing Muirfield, he writes, "The clean, uncluttered landscape, the bunkers that started at ground level went down into what seemed to be shadowy graves; the green that seemed unfurled without pretense from the natural terrain was simply mown shorter." I love it!  Sit back and have a read. There is no doubt that his story will strike a chord. 

I have had tragically few good ideas in my life, going this route with the Feature Interviews is hopefully an exception. We will post another such one this fall with someone from a different country as we roll through all the great golfing countries, comparing how people got into architecture and contrasting what influenced architecture at given times in different places.

Hope you enjoy the first in a series and we thank Mike for kicking it off in grand style. I think we can all agree with his fervent wish that 'Golf will return to the cities and people will play it in droves. They will turn off and turn away from their insular electronic devices and their imaginary, virtual reality games and run from their offices and fast food joints and breath the fresh air and interact with nature again as only golf can best provide.'

Best,
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:23:18 AM by Ran Morrissett »

jeffwarne

Re: Feature Interview with Mike Cirba
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 08:47:08 PM »
Excellent piece.

Some very quoteable stuff-I found myself trying to lift a few phrases with a nonexistent cut and paste

Well done
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:54:29 AM »
Mike after having played with you last summer I read your entire interview to find out more about your background and family.  The time spent with your dad playing golf is something I'm sure that stands out to you and perhaps some of your most cherished memories are those. Playing as a single at great courses isn't nearly as fun as playing with my dad, brother at our local course in Joliet, Ill.

I really believe father's playing with their sons is one of the keys to golf sustainability and lasting memories. Like the movie Into the Wild when he writes, "Happiness only real if shared"; that really is the pinnacle for golf in that regardless of where I play it certainly would be better if my dad, brother were there.

Great work on Cobb's Creek and all your hours of research here on the forum.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 02:50:35 AM »
Having just spent the last hour or so reading Mike's interview commentary to the questions, I realized that Mike is likely the most voluminous golf commentator-writer of opinions and observations that I have read over the years.  When I see Mike's name on a thread or reply, I will read it because I know his views are bolstered by his incredible lifelong pursuit to play and study those 1150 some courses in his golf life.  And, the fact that Mike can write so well and communicate his thoughts makes him one of the few handful of GCA writers I won't pass up as I know there will usually be something to learn each post be makes.

I had the honor of playing with Mike at the high profile course Whistling Straits, and over a later meal and drinks, I was delighted to hear him analyse his observations on the strengths and short comings of the course having seen how he played it and how his on the ground experience really did inform his ideas in the most authentic manner. 

I was excited to follow Mike's approach and arrival to his 1000th course at HCEG despite the extreme conditions he encountered. 

I'll continue to follow and cheer for Mike  and Joe in their labor of love for golf and Philly history at the Cobb's Creek project.  They are lucky yet deservedly so to have their passionate efforts come slowly to fruition in the face of so many of the usual barriers of municipal politics and budgets. 

Sometimes living with the passion of a subject is its own reward;  and then again, seeing tangible results that will pass that opportunity on to others to experience that enjoyment for the thing you love through your words and deeds is a blessing not often realised.  Mike surely has succeded in that regard.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 03:48:46 AM »
Great interview, but are you sure it wasn't with James Bennett?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 05:22:55 AM »
Mike and Joe dig in many archives for us, so I did my own digging and I came up with a famous ferry ride:

Mike, Dr Childs, and Redanman punching their Fishers Island tickets!

Great interview, fun re-direction of GCA content, and I still take claim to #1 Philly Muni guy. If Walnut Lane is not mentioned in your "Feature Interview", you have some catching up to do!!

https://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/walnut-lane/
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 07:11:45 AM »
I may need a glass of wine and a box of tissues before I delve into this.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »
Many thanks Mike and Ran. Plenty of excellent points and food for thought. I particularly like -

“A game dependent on so much of the earth’s acreage on a shrinking planet with finite resources is inevitably going to be on the wrong side of history and a game where the balls and implements aren’t effectively controlled within certain parameters befitting the challenge is similarly going to become antiquated, much as that may seem counter-intuitive. The game is supposed to be HARD. It’s supposed to be an adventure of man versus nature as well as against oneself and any competition. It is supposed to reflect our weaknesses and limitations as a human species and our constant striving for perfection despite our mortal limitations. That’s where the FUN comes in, again, perhaps counter-intuitively.”

Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
Many thanks Mike and Ran. Plenty of excellent points and food for thought. I particularly like -

“A game dependent on so much of the earth’s acreage on a shrinking planet with finite resources is inevitably going to be on the wrong side of history and a game where the balls and implements aren’t effectively controlled within certain parameters befitting the challenge is similarly going to become antiquated, much as that may seem counter-intuitive. The game is supposed to be HARD. It’s supposed to be an adventure of man versus nature as well as against oneself and any competition. It is supposed to reflect our weaknesses and limitations as a human species and our constant striving for perfection despite our mortal limitations. That’s where the FUN comes in, again, perhaps counter-intuitively.”

Atb

That was precisely the paragraph I was referring to.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
Mike,

I remember  that cold December day in 2007 when we toured  Cobb's Creek. Here's the story with a picture of the group:

https://www.philly.com/philly/gallery/20080427_With_a_little_help_from_a_few_friends.html

It's taken a long time and I hope the end is near so that work can begin to restore this course to the position it deserves as one of the top munis in the country. As one who started playing golf at another Philly muni- Juniata- the city deserves a great public golf course.

By the way, will the USGA part with some of their treasure chest for this project?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 09:14:33 PM »
A pleasure to read.
And gratifying to know a good man has been blessed by the game, and that he knows it (which knowing is itself part of the blessing).
Best to you, Mike
P

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:38:56 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 05:31:52 PM »
Thank you Mike.  Great interview.

Would it be that I had managed to pen that paragraph quoted by Thomas Dai as that is the way I have engaged with the game since I was a wee laddie!

"It's supposed to be an adventure of man versus nature as well as against oneself.... It is supposed to reflect our weaknesses and limitations as a human.... and our constant striving for perfection despite our mortal limitations"

Oh yes!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 06:07:38 PM »
Meh. Cirba ain’t all that.
 ;)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

V_Halyard

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 01:08:24 AM »
Outstanding piece on an outstanding crew of crusaders!
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »
Kudos to Ran for offering up such a great idea and subject...and even more kudos to Mike for agreeing to sit for this piece and write such a fantastic essay of your golfing life. I loved every minute of it as well as the pictures included.

Good luck with everything you and the crew are doing in Philadelphia.  Cobb's Creek will most assuredly be a gem the people of your city will enjoy for many years to come!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 07:30:04 AM »
 Mike just knows what he’s talking about.
AKA Mayday

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 10:19:35 AM »
The perfect candidate for an interview of this nature! 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »
 Thank you Ran and Mike.  I am always impressed when someone's love grows and deepens over the years.

Mike it seems you haven't lost sight of the kid who played 81 holes in a day!

Good luck with Cobbs Creek.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Greg Hohman

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 08:29:35 AM »
I echo the foregoing praise. The map and superimposed images would have fascinated me too. (They do today.) Thanks for the memories.
newmonumentsgc.com

MCirba

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
Fellow GCAers,

Thank you all so much for the kind and supportive words.   I was telling Ran on the phone the other day that I've made more good friends and friendly acquaintances through GolfClubAtlas over the past almost two decades than through anywhere else over the course of my life.   

As you can probably tell, my relationship with my dad through golf was transformative to our mutual understanding of each other.   He used to be overjoyed when I had opportunities to play some of the great courses and I'd always pick him up a hat, or some other souvenir from my travels.   "Do you pinch yourself when you go to bed at night?", he'd ask, happily proud that his son was so fortunate to visit such storied places.

When he passed, I went through a period where I really struggled to feel the same things through golf that I used to and it was then I realized that the greatest part of my enjoyment in playing new courses was being able to share those experiences with my dad afterwards.   He never tired of discussing the game and its courses with me and with him gone that void was now a chasm.

One day a few months after he died  I was out on a local nine-hole course called Indian Mountain by myself and on the 5th tee I looked out over the landscape without another person in sight and as the breeze picked up I suddenly just felt at peace.   I had the unmistakable feeling that he was out there with me and many times since then I have experienced the same thing.   My last day in Great Britain during my 1000th course trip we were playing our final round and on the back nine a front came through and left the most vivid rainbow I'd ever seen just in line with the green coming up the 13th hole at Fairhaven Golf Club in Lytham out at the far end of the property and I started crying tears of joy.   Tough to explain, by impossible not to honestly acknowledge.

This morning I learned that one of the "kids" I played against in High School who was a terrific player died yesterday on the golf course at aged 61.   It made me realize that we are all too very mortal, but playing this game has led me to the firm belief that we are all very immortal, as well.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »
Mike has been a good friend to golf.

MCirba

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 11:22:48 AM »
Mike has been a good friend to golf.

Golf has been very, very good to me.

By the way, wow, what a Masters Leaderboard.   And yes, I'm rooting for Tiger.   Everyone loves a redemption story.

Eric Smith

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 07:25:11 AM »
Seems I always feel smarter after reading Mike's posts. here and elsewhere.

Fantastic Feature Interview. Read it!!!

MCirba

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 03:23:02 PM »
Seems I always feel smarter after reading Mike's posts. here and elsewhere.

Fantastic Feature Interview. Read it!!!

Thank you, Eric, and thanks to everyone who took the time to read my verbosity as well as for the kind private messages.   

My optimism for the future of the game may certainly be counter to prevailing thinking but I'd leave you all with this...

Golf has existed for centuries, back to medieval times if not prior, and during the past century the game has spread across virtually the entire globe.   How many sporting activities can claim that type of longevity and still command so much time and attention from so many people in modern times?   

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:35:46 PM by MCirba »

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:49 AM »
Mike,

Great interview!  Thanks to Ran for a fresh idea.  This was a very entertaining read. 

I knew I'd see some cool historic pictures in this interview and you did not disappoint. The 17 year old reverse C-Cirba takes the cake.  Great stuff Mike, Keep up the good work!

Bret

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back