News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

For those not ‘in the business’ golf is most likely a leisure activity and as such really ought to be fun. Certainly not monotonous or boring.
Does anyone really enjoy, ie have ‘fun’, hitting more than the occasional fairway wood/metal for their second shot on a par-4 (or their 3rd shot on a par-5)? And for some including probably many/most ladies and quite a few older senior gents probably more times than this.
Atb

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Does anyone really enjoy hitting fairway woods/metals as .....
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 05:07:25 PM »
At 72 I have moved up to about 6300 yards. I will hit my drive about 220 so I do have a few times when I am hitting a 3 or 5 wood into a green. I actually enjoy it periodically. It adds to the challenge for me. I would not like to hit it into par five as a third shot.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 10:04:31 PM »
I better like it cause a 7 is my longest iron.

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
 8)  well, at 66, i enjoy my Orlimar 12 deg, Titleist 16.5 & 21 deg. fairway woods...  whatever it takes I use, and enjoy, and especialy when they work well! 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 11:14:48 PM »
I enjoy playing golf, regardless of what club I’m hitting. I’d rather hit a fairway wood into a green than not hitting any shot.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 11:28:41 PM »
I don’t really understand the thesis behind the question in the OP, but anyone who plays golf in a windy place is going to have their share of fairway wood (or low loft hybrid) approach shots. And piping one in that situation is one of the best feelings in golf.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 11:56:51 PM »
I don’t really understand the thesis behind the question in the OP, but anyone who plays golf in a windy place is going to have their share of fairway wood (or low loft hybrid) approach shots. And piping one in that situation is one of the best feelings in golf.

+1
Many players are far better at  5/7 woods then they are with 5 or 6 irons
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Rose

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 03:25:33 AM »
I enjoy hitting hybrid clubs. Perhaps once a round I'll need one on a par four, once on a par five, and maybe once on a par three.

Executing these shots are still thrilling to me.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Nicolas Joakimides

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 05:41:37 AM »
Thomas,

I enjoy hitting fairway woods (everywhere:par 3,4 or 5) if the hole is well designed ...!

But I think , seniors and women hit way to many times these clubs during a round.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 05:42:38 AM »
Oh yes.

And I don't feel complete until I do it on a one-shot hole, too.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 06:19:30 AM »
Interesting responses.
Fairways woods/metals folks....not hybrids!

So how many fairway wood/metal shots per round would be acceptable to you, ie how many before hitting such clubs becomes monotonous and boring?
2 times per round? 3 times per round? 4 times? 5 times? 6 times? ....... 15 times? 20 times? 30 times?
Atb

Nicolas Joakimides

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 07:07:12 AM »

So how many fairway wood/metal shots per round would be acceptable to you, ie how many before hitting such clubs becomes monotonous and boring?
2 times per round? 3 times per round? 4 times? 5 times? 6 times? ....... 15 times? 20 times? 30 times?

I depends on the course...but I would say 6 times maximum

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 07:19:35 AM »
Interesting responses.

Atb

Context is key, but consider:

A shot from a perfect lie (par 3)
A shot required after playing a good-to-great tee shot (long par 4)
A shot where it's a viable option v. a longer play to gain position (Extremely short par 4)
A shot where good-to-great execution is required to attack the hole on the subsequent shot (long par 5)
A shot where good-to-great execution gains a shot on the "field" (reachable par 5)

A golf course featuring all of the above would likely be lauded in these circles, and that's five times right off the bat.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 08:01:19 AM »
At Age 64 I don't even carry a 3 wood I use what is now called a 16.5 degree hi launch 3 wood or what is really a 4 wood and carry it around 200 yards. Yesterday I hit it to 6 feet on a 415 yard par 4 and it was thrilling. I still hit a 5 wood and can shape shots with it. I think 5 or 6 shots with these clubs is about all the extra work I care to do and that argues for at lest one if not two drive and pitch par fours within a well designed course.
Quite some time ago, when I started being less confident with a 3 wood I had an epiphany. For those you who started early, I have played now for 58 years, all one hit was a fairway wood to bunt ones way down the fairway. Even in my 20s I still loved my 4 wood and looked forward to confidently striking fairway woods. But the toll of only hitting one 4 times in a regulation round eventually diminished that confidence and facility.
I don't know where this discussion is leading but the obvious answer is for a player to play from the appropriate tees and supports the concept of multiple tees in a course design. Of course if we enjoyed firm and fast fairways in this country one could try to manufacture a additional distance by developing the old slinger many of us remember the old guys resorting to before ubiquitous irrigation
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 08:16:48 AM »

Isn't the whole point that hybrids have replaced the long irons that might have been the alternative to a fairway wood back in the day.  My longest hybrid (I carry two) is about 20 yards shorter than my 3 wood.  I aim to never hit my 3 wood off the deck as I am far, far less consistent with it than with that hybrid.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 09:36:11 AM »

Isn't the whole point that hybrids have replaced the long irons that might have been the alternative to a fairway wood back in the day.  My longest hybrid (I carry two) is about 20 yards shorter than my 3 wood.  I aim to never hit my 3 wood off the deck as I am far, far less consistent with it than with that hybrid.
Agree.  I carry occasionally a 21 degree hybrid  in place of my 5 or 7 wood depending on the course. If there rough is deep I usually have it although I'm not particularly good with it at all. I also have  7 wood I use for long par 3's.  Carry a 5 iron as my longest iron.  I really respect the guys carry the long irons and hit them well. Nothing like a well struck long iron.  I can count on one hand probably my 2/3/4 iron shots that were well struck.  Particularly rare was my ping eye 2 old 2 iron, which the only time I have hit it well was on the range one day at Lost Canyons (NLE) in Simi Valley.  Many was flushing them 250 and felt great.  Last time that every happened.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 03:16:49 PM »
Interesting responses.

So how many fairway wood/metal shots per round would be acceptable to you,

As many as neccessary.

Ie how many before hitting such clubs becomes monotonous and boring?

never
Atb
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lang

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 08:36:38 PM »
 8)  Numbers of hits are almost meaningless in an absolute sense, it seems I gave up the butterknife (1 iron) probably 25 years ago when it was just 2-4x hit per game only because I wanted to add a wedge.  Used to love to bring it out on the back 9 when there were bets floating around

isn't it all about the range and trajectory that a set offers, e.g., on teh short end, I could live with just my 53 deg wedge and boot out the 60 for those 2-4x shots per game, hmmmm what would I trade???...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 04:58:42 AM »
For those not ‘in the business’ golf is most likely a leisure activity and as such really ought to be fun. Certainly not monotonous or boring.
Does anyone really enjoy, ie have ‘fun’, hitting more than the occasional fairway wood/metal for their second shot on a par-4 (or their 3rd shot on a par-5)? And for some including probably many/most ladies and quite a few older senior gents probably more times than this.
Atb

Having played in a gale yesterday (and often in wind which makes holes as much about how far you hit as how straight), I can say it does get old bashing away with 3/4 wood.  I don't know how many fairway woods is too many, but I enjoy golf more when distance isn't the primary objective for more than a handful of holes.  I would be quite happy to never play 6500 yards again.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 12:42:18 PM »
Atb
Having played in a gale yesterday (and often in wind which makes holes as much about how far you hit as how straight), I can say it does get old bashing away with 3/4 wood.  I don't know how many fairway woods is too many, but I enjoy golf more when distance isn't the primary objective for more than a handful of holes.  I would be quite happy to never play 6500 yards again.
Ciao

I like the line “....I enjoy golf more when distance isn’t the primary objective for more than a handful of holes.” Kind of sums up where I’ve been attempting to come from with this thread. Nice sometimes, indeed many a time, not to have to hit a distance searching long fairway wood shot too often. Too often can become boring and monotonous and the fun factor can decline accordingly. Given how many times most ladies, not all ladies, but most, seem to have to hit distance searching fairway wood shots, even when playing from the front tees, it’s not surprising to me at least that relative to males not many ladies play the game. And moving up a set of tees isn’t necessarily the answer if you’re already playing from the front most tees.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back