News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Idyllic Oceanside location, great golf: help me out
« on: January 26, 2019, 01:18:01 AM »
Help me out here, brothers.

My parents have agreed to babysit for my wife and I for up to 10 days for our 10th wedding anniversary next September (2020).

My wife wants an idyllic ocean holiday — unspoilt sandy beaches, impossibly blue water, the sun blazing in clear skies.

This has led her to suggest the Maldives.

One major problem the way I see it: Maldives hasn’t got any golf.

Where can I deliver my beloved the holiday she wants, but with some golf I would want to play?

I thought of Cabo — friends told us it’s not worth the haul from Sydney as the main event.

Big Island Hawaii? She doesn’t want to do Oahu or Maui cos we do that with the kids, but this could be a good shout.

Caribbean is gonna be too far for the time we have.

Where else? Help me out.

Nicolas Joakimides

Re: Idyllic Oceanside location, great golf: help me out
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 02:37:40 AM »
https://www.velaaprivateisland.com/

Scott,

Check this private island...

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 04:10:40 AM »
Dornoch ticks all the boxes on your list but I doubt your wife would thank you for it  ;D

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 04:32:03 AM »
Scott congrats on your first decade!
Mauritius I think fits for you very well. We have numerous expats here in Saudi Arabia that fly down there for the beach alone and the husband brings his clubs.  They have about 10 courses I think, my favorite is Bernard Langer's course Ile aux Cerfs, not sure if he actually designed it.
The good thing about Mauritius is that it is cheaper than the Seychelles and Maldives by quite a bit. I think the Seychelles may have a course as well, not sure, but Mauritius has wonderful beaches at about 1/2 price of Maldives.  Granted they don't have the numerous private island resorts with overwater bungalows, but their beach resorts are great.

It isn't cheap necessarily, but it is compared to Maldives and much of Seychelles, plus it has golf where the others lack.  Mauritius is a hidden gem for many because Maldives gets so much business because most people can't go to all three so they pick Maldives for the once in a lifetime/honeymoon destination.

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve Kline

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 04:49:30 AM »
Laucala, Fiji

It is private island. The course is designed by David McKlay Kidd. You will probably have the course to yourself, or almost to yourself.

From what I remember, it is not as expensive as you think. And, coming from Australia, you won't have the massive flight costs that we do from the states to get there.

https://www.laucala.com/golf

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 07:55:20 AM »
I quite enjoyed Hualalai on big island. The course is enough fun and it’s quite cool playing amongst the lava. Can’t speak for the accoms, but it’s a Four Seasons and everything else was very classy, so they should be good.

Aloha!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Steve Kline

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »
I just did a quick google map tour of Mauritius. Some of the courses look like they could have some really interesting holes. Some have some good looking ocean holes. Others have quite a few centerline hazards. Now I'm curious about taking a vacation there some day.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
You can't go wrong choosing the Big Island. Four Seasons at Hualalai is super expensive and the course one of the big disappointments. Mauna Kea has a great beach, good accomodations, and a great golf. Its sister hotel is the Westin Hapuna, which also has a great beach. Hapuna golf is across the street and has reduced rates at Mauna Kea.
This is a photo essay I did on Hawaiian golf.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66373.0.html
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 09:43:20 AM »
https://www.velaaprivateisland.com/

Scott,

Check this private island...

I've been to Velaa, and while it is a truly amazing place, the golf ‘course’ is a practice area of about two acres in size, with half a dozen greens so you can play a par three routing around the property. It isn’t going to keep a serious golfer happy for ten days.

Staying in one of the villas on the island also costs USD 5,000 a night MINIMUM
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »
What are the golf resort options in Vietnam these days?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 10:14:38 AM »
I'd rather go to the Maldives
Happy Anniversary
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 10:17:35 AM »
What are the golf resort options in Vietnam these days?

The Bluffs Ho Tram and FLC Quy Nhon both have the combo of beach and golf.  But they are pretty big hotels, and often packed with Asian golfers, so, not so romantic.  Plus "getting there" in Vietnam always comes with a certain amount of stress.

I have not been to Mauritius yet - it's one of the places I want to get to for The Confidential Guide Volume 4 - but from what I've heard of it, that might be your best option.  The resorts will definitely make your wife happy, and there is a fair variety of golf.  It's definitely an anniversary-trip kind of place.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 10:29:05 AM »
Dornoch ticks all the boxes on your list but I doubt your wife would thank you for it  ;D
I was going to point out that Bamburgh had all the things Scott's looking for....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
i'm thinking Queensland, Austrialia.  Between the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast there is plenty of both!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 11:55:13 AM »
i'm thinking Queensland, Austrialia.  Between the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast there is plenty of both!
Great golf?  Anyway, as Scott lives in Sydney I doubt Queensland ticks is likely to be their choice!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »
Great golf?  Anyway, as Scott lives in Sydney I doubt Queensland ticks is likely to be their choice!

Sure Royal Queensland is right near Brisbane and there are a few other decent ones near the Sunshine Coast.

And if you go to an warm Island locale, other than a few exceptions like Hawaii or Dominican, you're only going to have one or two good ones anyways. 

P.S.  And he'd save a ton of money by staying in country, only a 8-9 hour drive.  ;)

MLevesque

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
Consider Nantucket, Massachusetts. September weather is fantastic and the island is far less crowded.  A few nice golfing venues with great beaches, lodging, shopping and restaurants.  If you don't fly directly to Nantucke, you can fly into Boston or Providence.  Many wonderful golfing options as you drive to the ferry on Cape Cod.
I am Skew!

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 12:43:08 PM »
Play the long game, forget the golf, focus on having a great time together with your mrs for 10 days and cash in the credits later.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »
Play the long game, forget the golf, focus on having a great time together with your mrs for 10 days and cash in the credits later.
This is the voice of a man of experience.....

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 01:31:38 PM »
Laucala, Fiji

It is private island. The course is designed by David McKlay Kidd. You will probably have the course to yourself, or almost to yourself.

From what I remember, it is not as expensive as you think. And, coming from Australia, you won't have the massive flight costs that we do from the states to get there.

https://www.laucala.com/golf

That place looks awesome

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 01:37:10 PM »
Sometimes the grass isn’t greener on the other side of the ocean (hill) ........... but if you insist on travelling then there is always Askernish.
Atb

Tim Gallant

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »
This is the voice of a man of experience.....

I can confirm, Ian is a wise, wise man.

James Bennett

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »
Scottt
My niece went to Mauritius on one of her honeymoons.Apparently the surf is excellent.Sounds like a good option - better than Maldives?
James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

mike_beene

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 09:00:30 PM »
I really like the Big Island and there is a lot of good golf, but don't expect a lush tropical look. It is barren ranch land on the dry side where the good stuff is. The Four Seasons is a fabulous place.

Doug_Feeney

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 09:02:57 PM »
If you go with Hawaii I would definitely spend some time on Lanai.  The resort and service are incredible and the golf (just one course now) is pretty spectacular.  The nice part is that course has been nearly empty when I have been there so you can get around very quickly.  They had an all inclusive activity package last year that was great!  Included golf, horseback tours, sporting clays, atv's, sail and snorkel trips.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back