News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: The Top 100 Donald Ross Courses
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2018, 11:08:10 AM »
Brian:

I take it back, not bowing out.

Ben:

The irony of you telling someone people don't take them seriously is rich.

Sven

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”― Mark Twain[/font][/size]
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

BCowan

« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2018, 11:19:03 AM »
Sven,

I was asked by Meadowbrook board members and the Architect to assist them in finding addition information for MCC.  In the real world I am taken very seriously, unlike yourself.  You have maybe 4 or 5 tools/trolls that may take your side in which u hold their jock strap. You get joy in finding an error by the Donald Ross Society (a Gotcha moment).  Get back to the Michofiche. 

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »
Sven,

I was asked by Meadowbrook board members and the Architect to assist them in finding addition information for MCC.  In the real world I am taken very seriously, unlike yourself.  You have maybe 4 or 5 tools/trolls that may take your side in which u hold their jock strap. You get joy in finding an error by the Donald Ross Society (a Gotcha moment).  Get back to the Michofiche.

You are a fool.

"There are three individuals I need to thank for helping with my research: Paul Dunn, Chris Buie and Sven Nilsen; they have contributed significantly to the accuracy of this list, and to our knowledge of Ross’s work."

-Copied from the lead in to the latest iteration of the Donald Ross Society's course listing.

“He Who Knows And Knows That He Knows Is A Wise Man - Follow Him;
He Who Knows Not And Knows Not That He Knows Not Is A Fool - Shun Him”

― Confucius, The Analects
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:33:42 AM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

BCowan

« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
Sven,

You are a fool.

"There are three individuals I need to thank for helping with my research: Paul Dunn, Chris Buie and Sven Nilsen; they have contributed significantly to the accuracy of this list, and to our knowledge of Ross’s work."

-Copied from the lead in to the latest iteration of the Donald Ross Society's course listing.

Bravo, your one skill was recognized. I'm glad I didn't donate to the DR society now, knowing they take info from pompous caddies who don't represent the society well.  You are a tool.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »
Ben:

One day you'll grow up.

Sven

"Maturity is the ability to think, speak and act your feelings within the bounds of dignity."

Samuel Ullman

BCowan

« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »
Sven,

All grown up. One day you might realize that being a pompous arse to cover up your insecurities isn't the best foot forward. I'm going to see if I can contact Damon with Good Will Sven, have a hit possibly

Terry Lavin

« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »
Sven,

That three months in the penalty box has created a whole new you...not.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BCowan

« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2018, 02:01:03 PM »
Sven,

tlavin,

It's no wonder why good people have left GCA.  Very disappointing that Ran has succumbed to who can donate the most money.  Great shot at Erik you took yesterday.  My stripes don't change, I can spot a fake in you from miles away.  If you only knew how many people loathe you.  The pot calling the kettle black and you don't add value to the site.   Trading access for compliments is all you are.  You refer to others as the smartest in the room, yet you think so little of your fellow American you have this ass quote on your profile. 

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:07:55 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2018, 02:11:07 PM »
The H.L. Menken quote could be aptly used while referring to people who might claim golf historian gravitas while using the word "Michofiche". 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:02:07 PM by Terry Lavin »

BCowan

« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2018, 02:16:59 PM »
I never claimed to be a historian.  Notice you don't make fun of all of Ran's miss spelling on his write ups Old Boy. 

JC Jones

« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »
I missed BCowan so much.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »
Hopefully you’ll miss him again.

BHoover

« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »
Hopefully you’ll miss him again.
Good for you, getting in a shot on someone who is unable to defend himself. Why don’t we find some other former posters to pick on too?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 08:00:35 PM by BHoover »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
A solid threading is being truncated by acrimony. Why don't you guys continue the BS through messaging? Or just send me some nastigrams to vent. Where's Hope Hicks when we need her?

Now, back to DJR. Peace out.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

V_Halyard

« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2018, 05:59:44 PM »
Sven,

tlavin,

It's no wonder why good people have left GCA.  Very disappointing that Ran has succumbed to who can donate the most money.  Great shot at Erik you took yesterday.  My stripes don't change, I can spot a fake in you from miles away.  If you only knew how many people loathe you.  The pot calling the kettle black and you don't add value to the site.   Trading access for compliments is all you are.  You refer to others as the smartest in the room, yet you think so little of your fellow American you have this ass quote on your profile. 

Well then... perhaps a chill pill is in order. I don't know those that may or may not have left, but given that I am immersed in the real-time perpetual politics associated with a classic restoration, I have found tremendous insight, entertainment and philosophical support within GCA.
I draw educational motivation, project support, and recreational enjoyment from GCA. I have greatly enjoyed the unique level camaraderie from this group, that has no initiation, pays voluntary membership dues, is able to tee it up around the world, and discuss golf courses and architecture free of eye rolls and confusion.
I will chalk this tiff up to a historical skirmish. I think the passionate and evangelistic combination of GCA humility, sprinkled with hubris supports those seeking to keep golf course design relevant, inspired, fresh and free of obscurity.
Calming the hell down wouldn't hurt either.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:07:37 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #190 on: March 29, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »

I found some interesting information in Columbus Country Club's pro shop (which did not burn down).  It is a detailed list of architects and their specific jobs at the club.  It shows that Ross did the original 9 holes.  Bendelow expanded it to 18 holes, but Ross resdesigned the course twice after that.  It is very possible that Bendelow used all 9 of Ross' original holes.  And we know that Ross rerouted several of Bendelow's holes.  That might be 14 or 15 Ross routed holes, as well as his greens and bunkering after an extensive redesign in 1937.

Steve Kline

« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2019, 07:33:10 AM »
Just saw this thread mentioned in the Ross Florida courses thread.

I know it's already mentioned, but I agree with Hyde Park Country Club (Cincinnati) as a Doak 6.

While I saw Country Club of Columbus in Ohio mentioned several times in this thread, I did not see Country Club of Columbus in Georgia mentioned at all. I played pre- and post-renovation in the Southeastern Am. If Hyde Park is a Doak 6, then I would call this a Doak 6 as well.

One thing I love about a lot of Ross courses are that they still max out around 6,500 yards and still present a stern challenge because of great routings and great green complexes.

Shelly Jones

« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2019, 02:01:13 PM »

A little late in the conversation, but I also agree that Hope Valley (NC) is a Doak 6.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2019, 04:57:40 AM »
My devotion to Maine golf and fond memories of a long afternoon win out over my distaste for the numbers. Tom, is York Golf & Tennis Ross enough to be on this list?

Absolutely. Ignoring the triangle of holes on the clubhouse side of the road, holes 3-16 were just a wonderful set of Ross at his best at York Golf & Tennis. Ross seems to always have perfect use of the terrain combined with subtle nuances to keep you guessing:

Combined with a brisk morning walk on the beach with my son, Maine delivers again.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 05:03:10 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back