News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Albanese

Bill Crane

Re: New Course at Birdwood (UVA)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
Too bad Lester George did not get this - great guy and a great GCA as well.

Local Va guy and U Richmond grad - looks like most of his staff are alums of a VA college, but not U VA.

Guess they wanted a PGA Tour player who lives in Ga. and is a Carolina (UNC Chapel Hill) alum.  Don't get me wrong - one of my favorite players.

corey miller

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »

Serious drop of the ball....but then again they were not exactly "cutting edge" back when the original course was built in the early 1980's.

Much seems to focus on the improvements they will make in the training for the teams but I would be shocked if the actual work to the course is not significantly more expensive with Love.

Have to wonder the extent to which the choice was influenced by Bob Rotella. 

A true shame especially in light of Trump having chosen C&C for his project in the area.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »
Bill Goodwin, owns Kiawah and Seapines and once owned Hogan Golf (through his purchase of AMF).  Davis Love did the redesign of the rebranded Ocean Course at Seapines for him.  Bill Goodwin and his family are some of the biggest supporters of UVA.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

corey miller

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:58 AM »

Still serious ball-drop.  I thought it more telling that he had Bob Rotella at the announcement.  Most all the talk is keeping up with the college golf arms race rather than the actual design of the course.  They should have let Davis design the practice area. 

Why do I also think that Davis Love will get paid a heck of a lot more than my more preferred guys?

John Blain

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »
Bill Goodwin, owns Kiawah and Seapines and once owned Hogan Golf (through his purchase of AMF).  Davis Love did the redesign of the rebranded Ocean Course at Seapines for him.  Bill Goodwin and his family are some of the biggest supporters of UVA.
I was working for the Ben Hogan Company when Bill Goodwin purchased it in the very early 90's. He way overpaid and was basically in over his head from the get-go. He ended up selling the company for a significant loss.

I believe he made his money in the computer leasing business..???

-John

JimB

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »

A true shame especially in light of Trump having chosen C&C for his project in the area.

and with them in the area finishing up work on the new short course and practice facilities across 250 at Farmington.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »

and with them in the area finishing up work on the new short course and practice facilities across 250 at Farmington.

Are they also doing the renovation to the nine holes that are currently closed?

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 03:27:19 PM »
Coore & Crenshaw have taken the "East" nine at Farmington and have totally renovated it and turned it into 10 holes (consisting of six par 3s, three par 4s and one par 5).   The official opening is tomorrow and it's looking great. 

They also created a comprehensive new practice facility consisting of a dual-sided range with teaching center, short game area and several putting greens.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 03:48:08 PM »
Hope that you get the course record tomorrow, Jimmy.

I think that Goodwin sold AMF.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 04:20:49 PM »
Coore & Crenshaw have taken the "East" nine at Farmington and have totally renovated it and turned it into 10 holes (consisting of six par 3s, three par 4s and one par 5).   The official opening is tomorrow and it's looking great. 

They also created a comprehensive new practice facility consisting of a dual-sided range with teaching center, short game area and several putting greens.

Jimmy:  I played Farmington in May but didn't focus much on the East nine renovations, and my host--a pretty new member--didn't know much about them.  He also wasn't sure what, if anything, has been done recently to the other nines.  Has there been recent work on them, and if so, by whom?

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 07:38:47 PM »
Carl,

No work has been done by the C&C team to the North and South nines to this point.  All work has been focused on the East and the practice facility.  It's certainly going to open quite a few eyes at the club when they see the handiwork of Coore, Dave Axland, Rodney and team. 

The previous version of the "East" was a lifeless, uninspired 9 holes that received little play.  The new "East" will be an ideal spot for players of all ages and abilities to enjoy a late afternoon game. 

Matt Albanese

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 09:10:28 PM »
Here is the routing. What do you guys think?

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 07:31:48 PM »
Always amazed at how this site goes after the guy who gets the project when he's not one of the chosen...all of this stuff will always come down to politics and connections.  DL3 had the connections and will do fine.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

corey miller

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 12:33:54 PM »

The University generally shoots for much better than "fine" when considering building projects.   In fact, I would guess the last architecture project finished at the UVA that was only "fine" was the original golf course thirty years ago. 

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »
DLIII and his group do really good work, from what I've seen (Sea Island - Retreat, Sanctuary Cove, Irish Creek, Love Course at Barefoot Resort, Brunswick CC restoration). I'm betting their Birdwood will be really good, too.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »
Looks like a lot easier walk than the current routing.  The hilliest pieces of the property 3/4, 14/15/16 are eliminated.  Very little of the existing routing other than fairway corridors are used.

Routing of today 1, 2, 9, 13 and 18 are there in spirt everything else is gone or played in reverse.

#5 and #15 are unfortunate losses, good par fives on very good to wild terrain.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back