News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Niall C. -

This is the 2nd season the new tee on #13 has been in play. Some days the yellow markers are up there. Other days the red markers are.

DT

Willie_Dow

When we played #13 from the lower tee my wife was on the green with a great shot.  It was a best ball tourney and my shot went haywire.

Mr Manning, a diplomat,  diplomatically said), "take a look at the upper tee", which I did.  It made the par threes look better, as my wife sank the putt.

Thanks again David !

Rich Goodale

The new 13th tee was not even born, Niall (at least last year).

As for the short hole comparisons, Golspie has more variety (as does Brora) but neither comes close GCA-wise to Dornoch vis a vis strategy and execution.  All but 13 at Dornoch require serious thinking before choosing a club and how you will hit it, and what you might do if you do not execute your thinking properly.  Hit a bad tee shot at 2, 6 and 10 at Dornoch and you are in serious doo-doo.  Miss any of the Golspie/Brora short holes and you lose a shot at worst, unless you are incompetent or stupid.  IMHO.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Niall C

Rich

With the exception of the 2nd at RD I'm  not sure what strategy there is there. Certainly they are more penal in the sense there is more of a penalty if you miss (from what I recall at Golspie) but as Tom Simpson said, the best shot is the recovery shot and in that regard I think Golspie offers you better options.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

Rich,

sorry but the par threes at Dornoch have a total lack of strategic variety. Its hit the green or face a nigh on impossible recovery. The 2nd and 6th do offer the lay up option which makes them a little different to the 10th and 13th which are hit the green or nothing. I played this week and hit 6 iron to the 2nd and 6th with a wedge required for the 10th and 9 iron for 13th so no real variety of length. I also think that the 10th would be much improved with the removal of the front bunker and the 13th could lose all the bunkers in front of the green and be a much better hole. I agree that the 2nd and 6th are very good holes but there is absolutely no variety in the challenge.

Jon

Steve Wilson

Weighing in on behalf of the incompetent and/or stupid, I am currently staying in Dornoch but playing Golspie.  In fact, I played Golspie with this thread in mind.

To begin with:  using the logic of the NCAA Championship committee, Golspie starts out with a big advantage as they have the extra par three and thus a 25% advantage in data points.

Returning to the real world, I considered that two of Golspie's par three, 2 and 6, have greens that essentially gather the ball on most approaches and recoveries.  10 on the other hand will deflect a shot that either comes in a bit short or carries to a reverse slope.  Recovery options on 10 are not as straight forward as on the previous holes, but once on the green it is benign.

The 16th is a specival hole. I have heard the Mackenzie rumor from a member at Golspiebut have no way of confirming or refuting it.  I don't think it is an easy hole to deal with on the approach or the recovery, or the next recovery, etc.   Given the wind, the elevated nature of the green and the severity of the slopes, I think this hole equals any of those at Dornoch in terms of challenge from the tee and then the options and potential for creativity in recovering.  Being left or right and above a hole cut on the first tier demands a thoughtful and deftly executed solution.

Seventeen, though difficult to reach for the shorter hitter (my hand is in the air) into the wind which it usually is, is not a particularly good hole. The option of playing short of the rampart and then pitching onto the green should guarantee a four or even an occasional three as the green is not severe. Described earlier as a long slog, that judgment may be a bit harsh but does seem mostly apt.

So, given that Golspie has the extra hole, of more varying lengths, and that they effectively box the compass, how do we award the best par threes decision to Dornoc?

Probably on the basis of something I read here years ago.  The quality of a golf course is best determined by the recovery options for missing greens. If it is too easy then the course is clearly easy and not good. If it is impossible or virtually so then we have a hard course perhaps suitable for championship play but not a great course.  Great courses allow you to miss and to recover but they require you to use a variety of means, chips, pitches, putts. The man who said this originally said it better and in a more succinct fashion, but it has stuck with me.  I wish he would step forward and identify himself if he still posts on here.

I think Dornoch has a slight edge, and I say this as a several years running overseas member at Golspie, but I do think that Golspie has the advantage in terms of variety and sheer fun.

An interesting topic.  It's always good to challenge the sacred coos of golf.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Eric_Terhorst

Like many who have commented here, I have had the privilege of taking tours of both Golspie and Dornoch with my friend Mr. Tepper. 

It's a terrific question to ask, which group of 3s is better.  My response is if I was asked to play a set of 3s for the rest of my life, it would be Golspie, and if I was asked to play one of the courses for the rest of my life it would be Dornoch.

Does that answer the question or is it a Tepper-pleasing cop-out??  :D

Bill_McBride

The new 13th tee was not even born, Niall (at least last year).

As for the short hole comparisons, Golspie has more variety (as does Brora) but neither comes close GCA-wise to Dornoch vis a vis strategy and execution.  All but 13 at Dornoch require serious thinking before choosing a club and how you will hit it, and what you might do if you do not execute your thinking properly.  Hit a bad tee shot at 2, 6 and 10 at Dornoch and you are in serious doo-doo.  Miss any of the Golspie/Brora short holes and you lose a shot at worst, unless you are incompetent or stupid.  IMHO.

Rich
. How do I know that a 6 on the card is quite possible on Dornoch #10 if you miss the green just a wee bit to the right?  It was like a trip to the endodontist. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back