News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Lloyd

High Pointe Archives
« on: July 10, 2023, 01:07:42 PM »

The majority of people on this site are no doubt eager to see High Pointe 2.0.  Below (if I can upload the images properly) are some original archival materials from High Pointe circa 1989-1990.

A bit of background: my family found a cottage in Northern Michigan in the spring of 1989, and ever since we've been enjoying the Traverse City environs during the summer and fall. This just happened to coincide with the opening of High Pointe, where my dad and I started to play on a regular basis - I was 12 at the time. In another stroke of good fortune for me personally, the spring and summer of 1989 coincided with Michigan finally winning a national title in basketball, the release of Field of Dreams and then the release of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and most importantly the addition of our first family dog in July 1989. So everything was going right that year.

All of my golf from the ages of 12 to 20 was played on High Pointe, OSU Gray and OSU Scarlet. No idea if or when I'll ever have the opportunity to play High Pointe 2.0, but just seeing the in-progress photos of the property is enough of a reward.

Anyway, hope these images come through -- it's not photos of the course, just some original promotional materials and early scorecards, so if they don't appear you won't be missing too much.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 05:35:35 PM by Matthew Lloyd »

Tommy Williamsen

Re: High Pointe Archives
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 01:33:47 PM »
Matthew, the site is not responding.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 10:16:45 PM »
No images for me. Can't wait to see them.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Buck Wolter

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 11:17:35 AM »
I came across an old golf course listing for the area and High Pointe's phone # was 800-753-PUTT
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 03:34:47 PM »
Matthew just sent me these to post:

IMG_4197 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oZbUso]
IMG_4201 by

IMG_4202 by

IMG_4198 by

IMG_4199 by

IMG_4200 by [/url]

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 04:27:34 PM »
Some Aerials (Click to download full size from Flickr):

1993:

High Pointe 1993 by goerges_family, on Flickr

2005:

High Pointe 2005 by goerges_family, on Flickr

2012 (after closure):

High Pointe 2012 by goerges_family, on Flickr

All are sized and aligned (if you get the original size (1783x3394) to place in photoshop and do layered comparisons if you wish to.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 04:32:37 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 10:30:15 AM »
Those aerials are worth 3000 words at least. What a great thing to do. Thank you.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 01:37:49 PM »
I don't know how much play it got or the finances of the club, but I don't think many were ready for its design. I know I wasn't. I went from loving it to hating it to loving it. Most folks were expecting golf to be like it was across the street.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Schott

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 08:49:30 PM »
I don't know how much play it got or the finances of the club, but I don't think many were ready for its design. I know I wasn't. I went from loving it to hating it to loving it. Most folks were expecting golf to be like it was across the street.

I was proud to be in that opposite school. I had no desire to play the course to the north and always enjoyed High Pointe. It helped that it was affordable and down to earth.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 10:39:41 AM »
My first trip up to the area was 2011, and High Pointe was already gone by then, I believe.  But this weekend we took a day off from Kingsley to take the boys (5 & 2) to the TC Butterfly House and Bug Museum, and on the way we drove past a hop farm, and it dawned on me that I'd finally made it over to High Pointe.  Hoping to see the finished product soon.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 09:40:20 PM »
I played it just after opening. I have a full set of photos.
I think I shared a green photo of the 13th with Tom when he was working on his book on routing.
I would send them to someone if they were compiling something.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Richard Hetzel

Re: High Pointe Archives New
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2023, 08:44:30 PM »
I found a few pictures that I took of High Pointe, probably around 2008 or so. It was a super nice 45 hole day. We finished up on the Wolverine Course at the Grand Traverse Resort from previous day's afternoon rain out. Then we played 18 holes at High Pointe. Immediately afterwards we high tailed it to Arcadia Bluffs for a 4pm tee time and watched the sun set as we finished up around 8:30pm. Great day.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 09:05:23 AM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back