News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

There can't possibly be anything more poorly conceived or built than this, is there? A bunker build around a tree?! And the 2x2 grass island? Wow:

H.P.S.

Mark_Rowlinson

I seem to recall several bunkers at El Saler that incorporated trees.

Andy Treen

Aesthetics aside.. I wonder if its there to collect golf balls that would otherwise bound into a nearby driveway or parking area? 

- Andy
First Assistant Professional
Taconic Golf Club

John Kavanaugh

Looks like the tree in the original half pipe bunker on #10 at Pasa. #Mackthehack

JMEvensky

Doesn't Southern Hills have one--maybe #9?

Mark Johnson

I wonder if it is a zoning thing.    some places you cant tear down a tree unless its dead.

regardless, they could make the bunker smaller

Tommy Williamsen

I can understand the objection. It seems like double punishment if the tree is in the way of a bunker shot to the pin. But how is it any worse than long grass around the tree?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

First off I agree exactly with part of Tommy's comment.  If it was tall rough instead of sand how is that any different?

Secondly, I kinda like quirk like this, stuff that you don't see everyday.  So no, its not giving me any heartburn.  ;)

Mark_Rowlinson

This is not quite the same but that tree is on the green side of the bunker.

Thomas Dai

Was there not a similar thread raised a couple of months ago about a tree and bunker at a course in Turkey?
Atb

jeffwarne

There can't possibly be anything more poorly conceived or built than this, is there? A bunker build around a tree?! And the 2x2 grass island? Wow:

I have no problems with the tree or the island for that matter-by themselves
having a set of rules for bunkers. trees and hazards often leads to repetition.
I see things more poorly conceived all the time.
At least you may be less likely to scream "get in the bunker" knowing the tree and the island are there.  ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

This is not quite the same but that tree is on the green side of the bunker.

If that tree had anything to do with that chunk ass divot it makes me very happy.

Daniel Jones

Here's one from a par-3 on the Island at Innisbrook. Yes, it is also between tee and green.

Josh Stevens

Personally, apart from looking a bit dopey,  I don't find it any more egregious that having the tree out side of the bunker on a line to the pin.  Perhaps they cant grow grass under the tree and so they just expanded the bunker

Does however raise the issue of hitting a buried tree root which would be no fun at all I imagine.

Nigel Islam

I just played TPC Sawgrass yesterday and 16 has a bunker around the trees short left of 16. Bunker really isn't in play, but those pesky trees are!

Bill_McBride

The green side bunker on the left side of the second green at the Navy Marine course at Pearl Harbor contained two big palm trees behind the center of the green.  Looked cool, seldom in play. 

Jon Wiggett

Lots of talk about how dumb these bunkers looks but has anyone asked about the strategic placement of any of these bunkers? I don't think so which is a little surprising on a website about GCA. This thread seems to be more about aesthetics over substance.

Jon

Joe Sponcia

The triple play (verb) - a tree whose roots extend through the cart path, bunker, and surrounding green.

This isn't quirky.  It's hall of fame terrible - the members only jacket of architecture.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:55:54 AM by Joe Sponcia »
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Doug Siebert

That's a very nice looking tree. It would be a shame to cut it down just because someone feels a bunker belongs there.

Though I don't see why there should be a problem with building a bunker around a tree. Is it really any different if you had a tree to the left of the bunker, and you missed just left of the tree? You'd have the same shot either way.

It isn't ideal, but I don't really have a problem with it. I'd only say it is dumb if you told me that the bunker was there first, and someone planted a tree in the middle of it 50 years ago :)

The tiny little bit of grass, yeah that's dumb. I'll bet the staff hates having to cut that grass - and if there's one that course probably has other stupid little grass islands too small to play a shot off of.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jeff_Brauer

I have left trees in bunkers on occasion, usually because there is some prohibition on taking them out, as mentioned above.  One was the 12th hole at the Legend Course at Giant's Ridge, where the permit was contingent on not taking out any "ancient red pines."  Looking back, not sure why I felt both bunker and tree were necessary, other than it was a slightly different look, so why not.

The inherent problem is trees are often very sensitive to changes in environment and grade changes in their root zone.  That tree didn't last long.  Over the years, many others have suffered the same fate due to just irrigation changes. Others come down if they were protected from wind in the forest, but are now exposed, without the deeper root system to hold them up against the wind.

So, while I don't think its the worst conceived bunker ever neither the tree in the bunker or that one foot circlebit of turf is as practical as it should be to survive long term.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Kyle Harris

Personally, I love the bunker as is.

I can think of entire golf courses full of bunkers more poorly conceived and built than this one. In fact, I'd say more like this would be a good thing. It's easy to maintain, doesn't seem to be a drainage nightmare, and is aesthetically pleasing/within the scale of the features shown in the photo.

Is the green Bentgrass or Poa?
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jaeger Kovich

I can think of entire golf courses full of bunkers more poorly conceived and built than this one. In fact, I'd say more like this would be a good thing. It's easy to maintain, doesn't seem to be a drainage nightmare, and is aesthetically pleasing/within the scale of the features shown in the photo.

What if it was back home in NY and the leaves dropped and the super complains cause his guys never use the blower to get all the crap out before they rake it? Then the members complain because the white sand gets all contaminated... Then its time for a billy bunker driven renovation project trucking in sand for PA... Just sayin' 8)

John Kirk

I like the bunker OK from a playing perspective.

It does look a lot like a jigsaw puzzle piece.

Kyle Harris

What if it was back home in NY and the leaves dropped and the super complains cause his guys never use the blower to get all the crap out before they rake it? Then the members complain because the white sand gets all contaminated... Then its time for a billy bunker driven renovation project trucking in sand for PA... Just sayin' 8)

You'll need to work somewhere in a few months...
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

archie_struthers

::) :P

It's not pretty , that's for sure 👽 A little otherworldly perhaps

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back