News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Pearson

Re: Best course you played for the first time this year?
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »
Allow me to bring a distinctly low-brow flavor to this thread...

I had the pleasure of playing Kapalua Plantation last month, and I would be remiss if I did not place it atop this year's list. The routing is equal parts dramatic and grandiose; I thought 10, 13, and 14 were the only weak-ish holes on the course because they seem as though they were stuffed into the northwest part of the property (the fairway left of the bunkers on 16 is a bit of a head-scratcher, too, but the hole is solid otherwise).

Ultimately, aside from the epic views and thrilling landscape, I wasn't really blown away by Plantation because the conditioning was nowhere near what I would consider "elite."

Back home in Texas, I played two courses worth mentioning—The Wilderness in Lake Jackson (Jeff Brauer) and The Bandit (Keith Foster).

As many of you know, gulf shore landscapes are about as boring as it gets, but Brauer highlighted some good holes with some very interesting greens. The par-5 7th features the coolest green I've ever seen, a multi-plateau jellybean that is at least 60 yards long. The Biarritz 16th is no slouch, either, with a 5-foot elevation difference from the trough to the back plateau.

And finally, for those of you who have never had the good fortune to play a Keith Foster track, I encourage you to right that wrong as soon as possible. Foster builds delightful courses that include many golden era elements like camouflage bunkering, large greens, and short fours that beg for an opportunistic strike rather than admonishing one into always taking the "safe route."

The Bandit (outside Seguin, TX) strikes all of these chords and then some, and it also includes the only true redan I've played in Texas (out of 55 courses). The variety of holes and approaches here makes this course one of the best I've played.

Finally, I also played Fazio Foothills at Barton Creek this year, and while it's nice, the abundance of 30-foot live oaks sort of ruins the experience by cramping the effective width of the course. I found it more punishing than delightful.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2015, 06:38:48 PM »
So far this year I have played 14 new courses. I really liked Brickyard Crossing a lot. It would have been my favorite until Thurman took me to Wolf Run, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Even with biting off a bit more than I could chew playing it at 6500 yards I think the course is awesome. It is the type of course that you would like more and more each time around it. Oddly enough, I also really liked Pine Hills near Medina, Ohio which my wife an I decided to play on a whim right before attending a wedding.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
I had a great year in this regard:

Cabot Cliffs and Cabot Links.
Royal Troon, Turnberry, Western Gailes, Prestwick, Dundonald
Clear Creek (Great new C & C course near Lake Tahoe)

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
    I had the pleasure of playing Concession right after my team had finished conducting the D1 NCAA'S. One of the toughest set of greens I ever played but fair. The toughest greens I ever encountered were the Stanwich Club and ANGC.

Kernwood CC in Massachusetts was an eyeopener . Fun course , great club and staff. Lots of elevation changes, unusual set of 3 Pars and great scenery. Diamond in the rough and not well known but worth your time for a visit.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Sinclair Eaddy

« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2015, 03:09:18 PM »
Shady Oaks in Ft. Worth and Brook Hollow Golf Club in Dallas

The history and presence of Ben Hogan is everywhere at Shady Oaks. As you play the course you get the feeling that Mr. Hogan is watching every shot with approval or more likely disapproval. May be the best set of greens in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Slippery would be an understatement. Love how the bunkers encroach into the greens.

It was nice to see Tillie's work at Brook Hollow. The bunkering is spectacular as you would expect from a Tillinghast. They are deep and unforgiving for poorly struck shots... as they should be. This maybe my favorite "flat course". A great swing through Texas this spring!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back