News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Montle

Re: Half-way House/19th hole offerings.
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 11:11:53 AM »
I love the truck between the OC and the NC on about the 5th hole.  Hard cider, beer, sandwiches and snacks.  It was a lifesaver for me two years ago.

My rental car had a flat between the Glasgow airport and St. Andrews.  By the time I got into town it was about 4pm.  Not planning on playing that afternoon I checked with the Jubilee starter about getting a tee time for the next day.  They were booked for a tournament but he sent me to the New course starter.  He told me there was an opening in 12 minutes if I could be ready.  I ran to my car, grabbed my clubs, changed into my golf shoes and ran back to the first tee.  There were two foursomes warming up but I was waved to tee off.  That was my first swing at St Andrews, with no warmup or even a practice swing.   I hit a big high hook onto #2 of TOC.
Fortunately I had a clear shot to the correct green, so it made a good story of how I played the old course for free.

However, in all the excitement I had forgotten that I hadn't had anything to eat since the tiny breakfast snack on the plane, and was fading fast by the time I saw the food truck.

It really was a life saver and the sandwich was the best I had ever tasted!   The seagulls thought so too, as they followed me around.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Bruce Katona

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »
Playing TOC for free!!

That is a classic line !!

Well Done!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 09:56:38 PM »
Manhattan Clam Chowder at the 19th hole at Hollywood Golf Club. The only rival I can think of is Wannamoisett which serves Rhode Island(clear) Clam Chowder.

mike_beene

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 12:12:47 AM »
Nothing can compare to the chicken tacos at the halfway house at Dallas Country Club.

RSantangelo

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
Burger dogs at Olympic are second to none.

I 2nd the burger dogs at Olympic....they used to have good ones at Dallas national also...not sure if they still do....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
Nothing can compare to the chicken tacos at the halfway house at Dallas Country Club.

Now I'm sad. Never had them

BHoover

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 10:28:12 AM »
Chicken salad with siracha sauce.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2015, 10:51:25 AM »
Chicken salad with siracha sauce.

That's in my fridge

Ed Homsey

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2015, 11:43:19 AM »
White Hots are a staple in the Rochester area.  Wasn't playing golf, yesterday, but went to our halfway house at Stafford CC and had a great white hot chili dog, and beer, while watching the guys and gals playing the 9th. 

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »
White Hots are a staple in the Rochester area.  Wasn't playing golf, yesterday, but went to our halfway house at Stafford CC and had a great white hot chili dog, and beer, while watching the guys and gals playing the 9th.

Had a white hot at my tailgate yesterday in Ann Arbor.  It wasn't as good as watching a 38-0 victory, but it was right up there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
Burger dogs at Olympic are second to none.

I 2nd the burger dogs at Olympic....they used to have good ones at Dallas national also...not sure if they still do....

I hate to burst bubbles on this, especially my old friend Mr. Hurricane (BTW, when are you getting back this way?), but I've had the burger dog at Olympic enough times to say this:  it ain't all THAAATTTT special.  It's fine. Pretty good, actually.  No complaints here.  But it's really nothing special.  Just a well spiced burger in an atypical shape.  There. I said it. 

I get the hype. It's an institution and all that. But what it reminds me of is the Billy Goat Tavern here in Chicago.  It's also an institution. And everybody who comes here "just has to" get a burger there.  And they love the vibe and the old SNL parody and chee-boiger, chee-boiger and all that.  But in all honestly, it's nothing special.  And neither is the burger dog.

Shivas, when were you last in the Billy Goat?   I was there in August after a boat tour, and the guy at the bottom of the stairs now says "dobble cheese dobble cheese" no matter what you order.  Still a tasty treat and great pickles.   

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 08:02:51 PM »
The Peanut Butter, Jelly and Bacon Sandwich at Fisher Island's Halfway house the way to go!

David_Tepper

Mark Lester

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 03:12:24 PM »
"Critter of the Week "Bar-B- Q on a roll at Goat Hill.

Not to be missed.

Neil White

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
I doubt they are alone in this but Woodhall Spa offer a tasty Bovril and dry sherry......  just the thing on a cold winters morning.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »
Mike Cirba and I are prepared to say that nothing -- no burger dog; no lobster roll; not even a Ben's Porch burger or a Sutton Bay BBQ bison sandwich -- could lay a glove on these:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:48:23 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark Steffey

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2015, 07:07:55 PM »
The Peanut Butter, Jelly and Bacon Sandwich at Fisher Island's Halfway house the way to go!

kinloch has a tasty grilled pb&j at the shack.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back