News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Par 3 openers
« on: September 13, 2015, 03:24:20 PM »
Royal Lytham and St. Anne's is obvious ... where are there other good examples of 1st hole par 3s that work well, and are fine holes?
jeffmingay.com

Thomas Dai

Re: Par 3 openers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 03:43:47 PM »
Church Stretton. Uphill. Allegedly 180 yds. Take the headcover off your driver and don't expect to make par very often! :)

Yes, there is a green at the top of the slope and this is it and the view....

Ashburnham. Downhill. 180 yds. Railway line behind the hedge at rear. Toot, toot!

Atb

Photos per the club's websites.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:23:48 AM by Thomas Dai »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »
Walton Heath Old.  Not a great hole and was bypassed when the Ryder Cup was played there 30+ years ago. 

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »
I am firmly in the camp of the par 3 as an opener isn't ideal,  but I quite like Huntercombe's.  I think because its more about putting than anything else.  Hitting the green isn't seriously testing and the green is difficult enough to accept that no matter where the hole comes in the round (warmed up or not) par is a good score.  Though I had a soft spot for West Cornwall's brutal opener until the daily tee was shortened for safety reasons.  I think because I accepted that as an opening shot it was extremely difficult so I treated it as a par 4. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 04:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies, found this too .. after I posted:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=52868.0
jeffmingay.com

Rees Milikin

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 04:09:25 PM »
The only course that I have played with a par 3 opener is Arrowtown Golf Club and although I have nothing to compare it with, I think it is a fine opening hole. 

The hole plays 177 yards downhill and has punchbowl green characteristics, which helps steer any wayward opening shots onto the green surface.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 04:38:09 PM »
While it must be 25 years since I played it last, I seem to remember Kilspindie's Par 3 opener was a nice hole.

http://kilspindiegolfclub.co.uk/htmlk/gallery.html

The rest of the course is pretty good fun, too!

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »
Jeff:

Boat of Garten in the Scottish Highlands might be distinct among courses with par 3 openers in that I think the hole might be the least distinguished on the course. It's not an awful par 3, but rather mundane for what follows, which is a bunch of very good holes laid out by Braid over some really interesting terrain. Great variety of par 4s there.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
Knole Park, Liphook and Royal Mud Surrey all have good long par 3s to start.
Cave Nil Vino

Paul Gray

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 06:30:14 PM »
One with more than a little home bias: Hayling.

Again, it's home bias and a produce of growing up at the place but I'm never sure why people are so anti the par 3 opener, particular those with higher handicaps who might be afforded a shot there. Surely you'd rather hit a five iron than a driver, no?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 06:37:31 PM »
I believe that Westchester might have opened with a par 3 and that the nines have since been reversed

Ken Moum

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 12:10:25 AM »
I think the only par three openers I've played are at Boat of Garten and Kilspindie. None here at home that I recall.

Nevertheless, I have long ago concluded that if I ever manage to be in a position to commission a golf course I will begin my discussions by imploring my architect to PLEASE find us a workable par three to begin.

My reasoning is simple..... virtually every course I play suffers from cramming too many groups onto the opening par four, which guarantees a backup at the first par three.

With an opening par three the problem is eliminated.

Besides, I like the idea,of starting without having to hit driver.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 12:45:37 AM »
Pacific Grove Golf Links possesses the only par 3 opener I have played on any course that wasn't exclusively comprised of par 3 holes. More incredibly, as many of you know, the par sequence begins 3-3-4-4-5-5-4-4-3-3!!!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 05:46:36 AM »
Addington. The Shire, Seve's firm's only UK design not only starts with a par three, but has an island green. A bit mental, but the sort of thing that happens when you decide you are going 6-6-6 pars and no two consecutive holes will have the same par
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 08:16:26 AM »
I have read somewhere that a par 3 opener significantly reduces the number of groups you can start on a busy day.  I am guessing it is unlikely you will see too many par 3 openers on new regulation courses.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 08:54:12 AM »
Southport & Ainsdale's opener is a good hole. The Grange (Braid design in Dublin) opens with two par-3s  :o

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 09:11:44 AM »
I have a project in the Master Plan/design phase where a change in routing/sequence of play could result in a par 3 opener, which could be a major improvement. Selling that idea could be a challenge. All of these examples are very helpful, thanks all.
jeffmingay.com

Colin Shellard

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »
Ones I can remember playing, several of which have been mentioned already:

Southport & Ainsdale - Tough opening shot requiring a mid-long iron
Kilspindie - Fairly straight forward 155 yards wihout too much penalty for missing - played a fortnight ago.
Boat of Garten - can't remember any detail so must be a bit bland
Walton Heath (Old) - Tough long iron / hybrid, but not a lot to see form the tee
Kintore (Aberdeenshire) - again mid-long iron with a green that's difficult to hold, slightly above you and running from left to right
Aboyne (Aberdeenshire) - 230yard par 3 with a large tree guarding either side of the green
Deeside (Aberdeenshire) - steeply downhill mid/short iron, at least ensures you'll get the ball in the air for your first shot
Hazelhead No 2 (Aberdeen) - mid/ short iron nothing special

It's not something I've ever seen on a "modern" course, I suspect most owners / designers wouldn't dare for battle accepted  wisdom of how a course should be laid out. Personally I quite like it, especially the ones that aren't too long, a solid 3i is a fair bit harder than a so-so driver...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 12:56:53 PM »
And another .......

The Berkshire (Blue).

Atb

Tom Kelly

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »
Nobody has mentioned Meyrick Park, it's a par 3 but plays more like a par 5...

Chris Cupit

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 01:04:59 PM »
Colin,

I played many years ago in the British Mid-Am at Walton Heath (back when they still had that championship).  Anyway, was the first at WH always a par three or was it a short par four that was eventually bisected by a road?  I have no idea why I think that may be the case but that "fact" seems stuck in my fading memory!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »
I have read somewhere that a par 3 opener significantly reduces the number of groups you can start on a busy day.  I am guessing it is unlikely you will see too many par 3 openers on new regulation courses.
Generally it is a bad idea as you tend to need 11 or 12 minute intervals, so a lot less £££. The upside is the course is less crowded. Only once did a par 3 start 1st on The Stranahan, because of the possible time problem, we actually went very short  (104 yards) and for an island green, you are either on the green/apron or in the water really and we keep the 8 minute tee times okay. The real no-no is probably a 200 yarder, though if you have a call through rule it could probably be ok.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »
Chris you are quite right re 1 WHO.
Cave Nil Vino

Matthew Rose

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 03:29:25 PM »
I went to the Australian Open one year it was played at Victoria GC. The first hole there is actually a very short four (about 260 yards) and they played it as a three for the championship. That might be the only time I've seen a par four actually shortened to a three for an event.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

michael j fay

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 03:46:56 PM »
Just played York Golf and Tennis in York, ME which opens with a 216 yard par three with a road down the left side and out of bounds less than 6 feet left of the green. Mt. Washington used to open with a three but that has been changed.

Southport and Ainsdale is my favorite par three opener.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back