News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Final Details
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2016, 01:31:43 AM »
I've been through the above posts but am still a bit confused as to the arrangements for play on the Tuesday.

Both County Sligo/Rosses Point and Strandhill are mentioned above.

I see mention of general tee-times at CS/RP but don't see any tee-timings in relation to Strandhill. Have I missed something?

Thanks for all the arrangements made to date. Can't wait for Sept 1st. Anticipation set at 11/10!

Atb

For all who need the Tuesday tee times at Strandhill and Rosses point, please check out the other thread. Stick "post BUDA" in to the search engine. Asked Strandhill for 14.30. Will confirm after I give them a buzz.

Ally

Thomas Dai

« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2016, 03:47:12 AM »
Ally,

Severe brain fade last evening meant I completely forgot to check others threads and yet this pretty obviously titled one is sitting there on the search engine waiting to be opened -

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62519.0.html

Shame you now can't be present throughout. Catch up on the Sat though.

Thanks very much for all the arrangements.

Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2016, 06:19:05 AM »
Dónal, any word on Corregan Mill B&B just outside Dunfanghy?  Also, any tips on where to go during the Jazz Fest?  I'll be there Fri, Sat.  Probably won't get on the golf course during that busy time in town.

RJ
Last year the jazz festival had zero impact on our ability to play Dunfanaghy.
During the festival, it will be self explanatory where to go-small town ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

RJ_Daley

« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2016, 10:25:31 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  Looking forward to that.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2016, 05:10:44 PM »
RJ,

I can't give an opinion on the Corregan Mill B&B but I have driven by it countless times. It's in a very nice location overlooking the "New" lake. Had a look at the reviews on TripAdvisor and they are positive. They seem to have several different types of accommodation, ranging from the basic to quite comfortable. It's not much more than a 5 minute drive (it's too far to walk to) from the town, so you could get a taxi there and back during the Jazz festival.

Dunfanaghy consists of a main street that is about 200 yards long, so I'd say you'll be able visit most/all venues in one evening.

If you're into you food, there is a very good but pricey restaurant within walking distance of the Dunfanaghy; it's call The Mill Restaurant and the food is said to be very good. They also have rooms.

http://www.themillrestaurant.com/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:18:08 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2016, 08:57:02 PM »
Thank you Donal.  It looks like we won't go hungry.   ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2016, 03:05:01 PM »
A couple of late changes to the line up.

Sadly, Michael Graham has had to withdraw. Happily, Bryan Izett has joined the fray.

I have booked us a bus to take us from the golf club to the hotel at 10:30pm on Saturday night, so we have no concerns about having a glass or two. If you think you will stay at the golf club all day prior to dinner, please remember to bring a change of clothes with you on Saturday morning. Please leave your car in the golf club car park overnight.

The bus will be at the hotel for an 08:00 departure on Sunday morning for the short journey back to Carne.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Matt Bosela

« Reply #207 on: August 10, 2016, 04:05:36 PM »
What an incredible itinerary!

I hope to join you all one of these years.  Best wishes to all for a wonderful event.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2016, 05:07:59 PM »
This is coming together very well.  I just want to say that our GCA.com man in Edinburgh, RU Macdonald has just come through for me with his "Luggage Forward" club shipping service.   He is saving me a lot of headache getting my clubs back home without having to drag them uselessly through Italy. 

He already filed the paperwork based on my account details from last year and my clubs will be picked up at my last round of golf in Ireland at "The Island" north of Dublin, and will get them to my house front door a few days later.  And, unlike the airline, the weight limit and contents are liberal and can send a few souviners, which I did last yearr.  All for a few dollars more than the airlines now standard $100 one way fee.  And, there is a promo code for us GCA.com contributors.  It is a no-brainer.

ru_macdonald@luggageforward.com[/color]www.luggageforward.com[/url]
[/color][/url]
[/color]Thanks Ru
[/url]

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #209 on: August 13, 2016, 05:25:56 PM »
I may be slow-witted here, so please have patience :)

Did I understand this correctly: we have to get to the course on Saturday morning by car, but there is a bus taking us back to the Talbot Hotel at 10:30 PM and then back to the course Sunday morning 8 AM. So I assume this means our cars would stay overnight at the golf club?

Also, is the parking lot at the golf club closed at any time or is there any gate scheme with pin code or password or parking tickets?

Sorry for these very likely unnecessary questions, but I am travelling with my wife and have witnessed more than enough elaborate parking systems. For example, at Noordwijkse BUDA my wife couldn't pick me up, because she didn't have the pin code for the gate and no one was in the clubhouse to answer the bell. So in order to avoid any marital calamities I have learned to enquire about those details beforehand :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »
Occasionally there's a sheep that may wander across the road to the clubhouse and hinder entrance, Ulrich.

I've never seen him ask for a ticket though.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2016, 06:34:28 PM »
Ally

Sheep prefer baah codes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:39:31 PM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #212 on: August 17, 2016, 12:10:55 PM »

Glad to help!

This is coming together very well.  I just want to say that our GCA.com man in Edinburgh, RU Macdonald has just come through for me with his "Luggage Forward" club shipping service.   He is saving me a lot of headache getting my clubs back home without having to drag them uselessly through Italy. 

He already filed the paperwork based on my account details from last year and my clubs will be picked up at my last round of golf in Ireland at "The Island" north of Dublin, and will get them to my house front door a few days later.  And, unlike the airline, the weight limit and contents are liberal and can send a few souviners, which I did last yearr.  All for a few dollars more than the airlines now standard $100 one way fee.  And, there is a promo code for us GCA.com contributors.  It is a no-brainer.

ru_macdonald@luggageforward.comwww.luggageforward.com

Thanks Ru

If you have played in Scotland and want to share your experience with other golfers I'd love to talk with you, Scottish Golf Podcast.

Jon Byron

« Reply #213 on: August 17, 2016, 12:21:29 PM »
Robin -- Hi and thanks. Just to confirm, I will be attending Fri-Mon and will be joined by my friend Chris Hansom, an Irish golf resident who I play with often.  Thanks again
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »

Can anybody suggest a sim card voice and data plan for Ireland for an Android phone?  I can get a roaming package from my current Canadian provider for $10 a day.  Would an Irish sim card be more economical and easily obtainable?

Charles Lund

« Reply #215 on: August 21, 2016, 04:00:49 PM »
I use 3.  It was formerly O2.  There is a Freedom plan for 30 euros for 30 days. You would need to get 5 euros in your account to be able to get voice messaging.

You get unlimited texts in Ireland.  You can add overseas texts for 10 euros as I recall.  I think they deduct a small amount for each text.

Think Vodafone is there too.

Find out best coverage area for where you will mostly be.  I have adequate coverage around Dublin and up in Donegal.

You would need another carrier for Northern Ireland.

You need an unlocked phone.  You can probably get a sim at Dublin airport.

You can get unlock codes online.

Charles Lund

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #216 on: August 21, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »
Brian,

I use a Three pay-as-you-go SIM with my unlocked ATT iPhone. You can either buy from their UK or Ireland division as they offer free roaming between systems. I don't think they offer a SIM for Android phones however.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Charles Lund

« Reply #217 on: August 21, 2016, 06:33:51 PM »
My phone is a Samsung, an older model I use on overseas trips.  Try a Three store.  You can look up addresses on their website.

I got my Sim card at 02.  It now works on Three.  I was told there are roaming charges in Northern Ireland so I shut it off after putting it in airplane mode.  I have Three sim card for broadband wifi on  Huawei dongle I use for internet connection.

Charles Lund

RJ_Daley

« Reply #218 on: August 21, 2016, 09:06:36 PM »
I had the 3 or O-3 , whatever they call it, on a 3G unlocked last year.  It worked fine around Rep of Ireland.  Didn't work in Scotland and had to get a Tesco simm there.  I was hoping the Rep of Ireland simm would work in rest of Euro Union for Italy, but no luck and had to get yet a third simm there. 

I since got an unlocked 4G and will look into Vodaphone and the 3.  Seems so silly not to have a simm that will work in the small geo territory of Rep of and N.I....  ::)

I doubt I'll get a separate simm for 3 days in N.I.  Just rely on a wi'fi hook up in coffee shops, B&B, etc.  Use Skype instead if I have to.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #219 on: August 21, 2016, 09:50:07 PM »
This is the prepay SIM from Three Ireland. It's €20 for 30 days unlimited data: http://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/3pay-trio-sim/priceplan/

Data on this plan can be used in UK (N. Ireland) at no additional charge: https://apps.three.ie/roaming/broadband/prepay/uk
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #220 on: August 22, 2016, 02:33:45 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'll pick mine up at one of the stores near the airport.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #221 on: August 22, 2016, 07:13:42 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'll pick mine up at one of the stores near the airport.

Dick,

At Heathrow they have vending machines for these SIM cards near the baggage claim. Ask around when you arrive, you might be able to purchase one at the airport.

Whit

James Boon

« Reply #222 on: August 23, 2016, 11:18:38 AM »
Sorry to report that my usual travelling companion for Buda can't make it! Ben Stephens has injured his foot (I'm sure he will post more details himself) but that means golf is out of the question while he recovers.

Still finalising details but that either means I will be travelling alone, or Mrs Boon will be joining me. Its been a busy few months for both of us and our next holiday isnt till end of October, so this is a chance for a bit of time away together, all be she will be doing her own thing during the day while I play golf with you lot! If she comes along she will be very happy to join us for evening meals and drinks but you may need to have an alternative topic of conversation other than golf...  8)

Will confirm all shortly!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #223 on: August 23, 2016, 12:08:40 PM »
So Ben is out. Really sorry to hear that.

Carole won't be playing golf, but she's very welcome indeed...and she's good company.

List updated.

We can take a late comer if you know of any.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #224 on: August 23, 2016, 12:12:01 PM »
To even the numbers up I have co-opted Josie Goodale onto the home team. She can now happily bring down Rich, rather than support him!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back