News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: There are only renovations and restorations
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »

Now how does the architect sell this to the client? The Club wants "Tilly" brought back yet the "Tilly" they've always known wasn't what he designed. Do you say "This restores the intent" which may be true but is renovative in nature or do you say "This renovation makes it play like Tilly wanted it to..." yet the work being done isn't anything more than a bit of tweaking to the original hole design?  

I know what is being said and I agree with it... My question, based on the comments above is how would you approach the club with this idea knowing both what they want to hear and what the reality of what is being proposed MAY be considered as two very different things?

Phil:

As soon as the issue becomes "what the client wants to hear" then you are down the slippery slope to the bottom.

Phil Young

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 05:27:20 PM »
Tom,

I understand that and may be guilty of asking the question the wrong way. What I'm looking for is which word someone would use to best describe the proposal cited. Is it, in their view, a "restoration" or a renovation or an amalgam of the two?

For me, what a Club decides to do and say is simply that. It wouldn't change my description of what is done. If that would cost me a job so be it. I proposed this real world example that is currently happening because most comments have declared that "restoration" or "renovation" are very specific... and so I was wondering which specific individuals would apply to it or if they'd use a variation, e.g. - sympathetic restoration (phrase I've heard used before).

Howard Riefs

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »
How about a “restoration driven renovation,” to borrow a term from how Kyle Philips described his work at Cal Club.

I fought long and hard for a restoration driven renovation versus some of the more drastic alternatives that included rerouting the entire course. It is important to keep in mind that only 13 of the original holes were still in place from the Macan and Mackenzie era. The first five holes and the practice range had been rebuilt and compromised in the mid 1960s when land was lost along the north side of the property and San Bruno Creek was filled in by CalTrans in favor of Westborough Blvd. My objective was to restore as many holes as possible, within the overall goal of putting the best 18 holes on the property. The final result restores 12 of the possible 13 holes and brings back the essence of those lost due to eminent domain in the 60s. I am thrilled that the new holes, #7 and #8, have won the hearts and minds of the members.

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/kyle-phillips-september-2010/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 06:14:43 PM »
Tom,

I understand that and may be guilty of asking the question the wrong way. What I'm looking for is which word someone would use to best describe the proposal cited. Is it, in their view, a "restoration" or a renovation or an amalgam of the two?

For me, what a Club decides to do and say is simply that. It wouldn't change my description of what is done. If that would cost me a job so be it. I proposed this real world example that is currently happening because most comments have declared that "restoration" or "renovation" are very specific... and so I was wondering which specific individuals would apply to it or if they'd use a variation, e.g. - sympathetic restoration (phrase I've heard used before).

"Restoring the original design intent" is not a restoration, in my view.  It is clearly a renovation ... a renewing.  I guess that's the same thing Howard is talking about above, at Cal Club.  They restored [all but one of :) ] the holes they could, renovated others, and added two new holes.  Which is also a renovation, however it's driven.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:16:54 PM by Tom_Doak »

Phil Young

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »
Which is why it is being presented as a renovation to restore the design intent to fit todays game...

Mike_Young

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 10:04:38 PM »
Where does one look to find an architect's "original design intent"....I've never seen one...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Phil Young

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 10:08:11 PM »
Mike, in this case its quite easy to see from the original design drawing. It specifically called for planting a grove of trees at the inside corner of a sharp dogleg where none existed before. On this site he was quite specific about the planting of trees.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back