News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Re: I wrote a letter to an Architect, no reply
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 07:38:37 AM »
Tim Gerrish - you are really that busy? If I don't respond to a thoughtful or polite letter I've gotten it's from oversight, certainly not intent. I would hope that architects, as creative people, would welcome responses and be interested in engaging any serious criticism or judgment. Spam filters certainly are an issue, and as someone has observed indirectly, Facebook, IMs or GCA  don't count as serious efforts at communications. I have a few fat files of letters from/with architects that I really value. I doubt my accumulated text communications will have the same value as keepsakes.

Kerry Gray

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 07:55:45 AM »
 Thanks all, for responses thus far.
I may post my questions here once I can upload the course map so we can reference my concerns to what I see at the course.
Paul, mine was simply a playful repartie upon your reply. A play upon the oft quoted, "is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care." variously attributed.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 03:47:31 PM »
One of my most prized possessions was some venomous hate mail I received from Willie Brown’s office during his tenure as mayor of San Francisco. I wrote a rather pointed column skewering him for going back on his promise to push though a county golf course in the San Mateo foothills.

It was the city’s legal obligation dating back to 1966 and the enviro-wackos (with cooperation from the SFPUC) had successfully blocked it using every possible phony excuse for decades. The last straw was when Willie slithered in to pick up a donation check for an event called The Mayor’s Cup at Crystal Springs.

Willie grabbed the microphone and made all sorts of bullshit promises to a room overwhelmingly full of elderly local public golfers. Our former esteemed carpetbagger, hustler crook later took a 10 million dollar “donation" from a billionaire with property adjacent to the site for construction of an “environmental center.”

Well, the 10 million evaporated, no center was ever built and there is still no golf course. My column alluded to the suggestion the mayor had rammed a golf club into the rectum of those betrayed by his empty promises - and for some odd reason he took exception to my assertions.

One of his aides called my boss, the managing editor, and demanded I be fired immediately. Sadly, my boss was a public golfer too.  ;)

Randy Thompson

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 04:20:38 PM »
Sadly, my boss was a public golfer too.  

Love it, sadly for the mayor and gladly for you! Chalk up one for the good guys!!!!! Just goes to show you if you have the right boss, You can Fight City Hall! ::)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:22:24 PM by Randy Thompson »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 05:06:05 PM »
I just made a telephone call to inquire about a project here in Phoenix. The architect, John Fought,  answered the phone himself and we talked for a few minutes about the project- the Maryvale GC renovation.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom Yost

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »
I sent the movie critic Gene Siskel a letter criticizing his review of the original Halloween movie in 1978. A week later, he sent the letter back, with his red-ink corrections and some classic margin notes that cut me down to size. Still have that letter.

That is a real treasure right there!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 05:42:38 PM »
Terry,

Makes me wonder about his character a bit.  How much time do you think he spent cutting a movie fan "down to size?"  I mean, how insecure must he have been to do that?  Or was your letter a real barn burner that deserved to, in current parlance, "be destroyed" with curt comments?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ian Andrew

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 06:55:45 PM »
On original work,  I will always reply.
I'm fine with criticism and will still reply.

It's more complicated with my renovation clients.
I'll always answer, but will occasionally check with the greens chair first if I feel there may be more than meets the eye.
If the question is pointed, I'll answer but copy to someone at the club.

We have to deal with people with agendas that are willing to use you for their end game.
I have a specific club full of lawyers where winning their battle is worth your reputation.
So we tread carefully after being burned once.

Even more complicated is when I play a course where I don't work and I'm asked for impressions.
If I like the work, I'm happy to encourage them to continue.
If I don't, I have to be very careful when responding to someone I don't know.

Silence is easier, but that's not my strong suit.

Change is good.

Gib_Papazian

Re: I wrote a letter to an Architect, no reply New
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 12:52:52 AM »
Terry,

As a D.P. (having returned to my roots), I went back and read Siskel's review of Halloween - particularly because John Carpenter left USC film school as I came in. The review was quite positive, so your upbraiding of his negative review must have prompted another look.

Those who cannot do, critique.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:09:08 AM by Gib Papazian »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 01:37:48 AM »
I sent the movie critic Gene Siskel a letter criticizing his review of the original Halloween movie in 1978. A week later, he sent the letter back, with his red-ink corrections and some classic margin notes that cut me down to size. Still have that letter.

Any chance you could post it?   I could help you with that if you need it.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back