News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Re: Grounds for Golf - Shackelford
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2003, 08:23:11 PM »

I just finished reading this book last night, another fine book from Geoff Shackelford and an excellent addition for anyone's architecture book collection.

Geoff, has there been many submissions of the example hole routings?

Keep the books coming!!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

brad_miller

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2003, 03:15:47 AM »
Have only gotten thru about 40 pages (4 holes) but I can only say that Geoff's commentary and the quotes used is a great collection of anologies as to why the best golf architecture is strategic in nature, natural in appearence (hand of man or not) thus using natural features and should be thought of like great art, music and architecture in general. Forget how you feel after playing a course once, how do you feel about playing a course everyday, does the course change with changing winds, do shots and options on most golf holes change with the conditions. It becomes pretty clear why sandy soil, wind and ground movement are so important if used properly by the golf archie.

THuckaby2

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2003, 06:26:43 AM »
Tom M.: interesting... I certainly didn't intend to use my "wows" as anything other than just a means of conveying how blown away I was by this book... but if I did give four wows to Art of Golf, it was deserved... not relatively, mind you - that is, I'm not saying it's in any way "better" than Geoff's new book - but it is deserved anyway.  Art of Golf is a must-have for anyone into "visuals" of what we talk about here.

But comparing that work to this is really apples and oranges...

In any case, I kinda like the "wow" scale.  Not that my main m.o. is to trumpet books, but in the future if I do so again, that will be the method.   ;)

TH

Allan Long

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2003, 06:37:04 AM »
For those of you still looking for the book, you may try a local B&N. I know Geoff said that B&N may not have it at all
locations, but they had it on the shelf at my local store, and I picked it up there. Maybe they had a change of heart? (Or better yet, that Huckaby recommendation has a lot of pull. ;D).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Lou_Duran

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2003, 08:39:40 AM »
Geoff S-

Sorry, but from time to time I even address Saint Thomas as Mr. Huckaby.  If you think that my writing is strange, you ought to hear me talk, or play golf for that matter!

I meant no criticism about your CPC book.  I own it, have read it three or four times, and recommended it to several friends.  Thanks for your explanation on why a course map was not included.  I do know that the book is a period piece, and my comments about having routings/aerial shots in different epochs was not specific to your book.  For example, if someone was going to do a book on ANGC, it would be very interesting for me to see aerials of the property prior to construction, as-built, and then after some of the major changes.  I realize that this is not practical or cost-effective given the limited audience and distribution.

"Grounds for Golf" will be in my library shortly.  I do hope that you will honor us with your presence at a future "unofficial" gca.com outing.  I would like to have you sign my books of yours that I own.  

THuckaby2

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2003, 08:55:02 AM »
Hmmm... if The King's Putter III occurs at Rustic Canyon and Ojai next spring as planned, I would think that the presence of BOTH Mr. Shackelfords would be mandatory.  Whaddya think, Geoff?

And it cracks me up to think Barnes and Noble is just quaking in their boots waiting for my next "recommendation"... I can see their spies outside my office now...  ;D

Hey, it's great to hear the book can be bought there one way or the other.  This is a book that deserves a very wide audience.

There is also most definitely a LOT outside of how the normal golf course architecture discussion works... that's what makes it so great... analogies to baseball, movies... it makes all of this very understandable for the average golfer, while at the same time giving a fresh new way to look at this for aficionados... those with any sense of humor, anyway!

Re use of the "Mr.", that's an interesting side-topic...I'm kinda like Geoff in that the only Mr. Huckaby is my Dad, and even he hates being called that!  I'm also sorta like Lou though too... I default to that re others until told otherwise... elders definitely get this honorific no matter what also... I'm not gonna mention any names, because he's so young at heart the number doesn't matter a whit, but there is a sage regular Zimbabwean participant here who shall always get that honorific from me... though he sure doesn't request it nor require it.. he just deserves it  ;)

Brian Phillips

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2003, 01:01:09 AM »
I have just received my copy yesterday night after a round of golf at Ladybank... ;D

I have to say that at the moment I am very impressed.  I showed the wife Gil's drawings and asked her if I should start drawing like that and she said she didn't like the drawings...philistine!!

I really like the drawings Gil, as I always have.

The book hasn't got deep into architecture yet (I am only in chapter one) but I think it will be the sort of book that I carry around with on projects.

At the moment I carry The Links, The Anatomy .. and Routing the Golf Course in my rucksack on site visits.

I will get back when I have finished reading it but at the moment I think it is a bargain and I am a little surprised at the price.  I only paid £15.00 plus post which is very cheap.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

John Foley

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2003, 06:51:31 AM »
Got it last night at Borders while on the road. Will get much use on tonites plane ride home.

Gil's drawings look fantastic. I could spend hours on those alone.

Great work Geoff, can't wait to get to Rustic, hopefully this summer.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2003, 03:23:57 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

My local Barnes & Noble didn't carry it in stock, but my local Borders did.

I picked up two copies and ordered more.  Borders indicated that they would have all the copies I needed in 3 to 5 days.

Unlike many on this site, I won't be able to comment and evaluate the book, until AFTER I actually read it.   ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2003, 05:39:11 PM »
I third Geoff and Pat's comments - a call to BN got the response they would order it, a call to Borders said they would put it behind the desk for three days in my name!

I have read half, and not in order, being drawn to the description of Geoff's Rustic Canyon partnership with Gil.  I'm glad to read it worked out so well in person, as in result.  Most of those collaborations would be better chronicled in a book titled "Grounds for Murder" or on the TV show "Family Feud." ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Norbert P

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2003, 08:40:43 AM »
 As stated, this is an exceptional book and one that should be in every golf architecture book collection.  Targeted for introduction of golf architecture to the neophytes but still a refreshing read for the calloused gc architecture reader.
I enjoyed Geoff's section on building Rustic Canyon the most, as I dream of doing something like that someday.  I always wondered how much Geoff was actually involved with the project.  Answer ... as much as possible!  

I must reiterate that Geoff has made some fine choices of how to present golf courses, and how we can perceive them, through his various books.  Also, has a fine appreciation of the finer quotes of Alister, George Thomas and Carl Spackler.

Geoff, Is Camp Pendleton next?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2003, 02:28:06 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, it's great to finally hear how the book reads after having it in the works for a long time.

Craig,
Sorry I didn't see your question until Slag pulled this thread up. No submissions yet for the hole canvas's offered in the book. Perhaps I need to get the awards listed on my web site (and a deadline!?).  

Lou,
I knew you weren't criticizing the CP book, I was just apologizing and complaining about something that bugs me about the Cypress Point book! I do agree with you that a book looking at courses in various eras from similar positions (aerial, ground shots, etc...) would be great. I have flirted with such an idea, but everytime I start comparing photos, the modern versions of the holes often tend to look neglected. Calling attention to that is a good thing, but I've always assumed the courses featured wouldn't like that much, which wouldn't help book sales.

Jeff,
Gil is very patient man! I'm glad that the RC chapter was of interest, I waivered on whether it should be included.

Slag,
I don't think they'll be building the Good Doctor Returns course at Pendleton anytime soon. There's currently a fight over that land and something to do with training hours and enviromental impact, imagine what the locals would think of golf there! I'm sure if they did build a course on that land, the Defense dept. would call in a big name that their pals at Kellogg, Brown and Root recommend! :)
Thanks,
Geoff

Jay Carstens

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2003, 04:07:28 PM »
Geoff,
Thanks for the new piece on Sand Hills.
See: www.geoffshackelford.com/_wsn/page12.html
Related: The first issue of Nebraska Golfer Magazine was sent out to 35,000 members of the Nebraska Golf Association (NGA) about 2 weeks ago.  It includes a directory of Nebraska courses, architects included with dates!, (first time I've seen that around here), and an article called "Creating Prairie Beauty" by Joseph Oberle.  He summarizes several local projects and their designers, including Arnold Palmer Design, Pete Dye, Trent Jones, Coore & Crenshaw, Jeffrey Brauer, Grant Wencel, Marty Johnson, and Dick Watson. Axland & Proctor's Bunker Hill was strangely omitted... :-/.  Maybe next issue... Good mag though.:)
JC
Highlands GC
Lincoln
Play the course as you find it

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back