News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Herbert Strong returns ! Metropolis
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »
I recently visited Metropolis in White Plains. Ron Forse and Jim are reclaiming the numerous bold Golden Age features that have been hidden by forests of trees for decades. Some remarkable holes and features are springing back to life.  A big improvement, over dramatic terrain, and before  long a new treasure in Westchester County.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:25:50 PM by mark chalfant »

Jeff Schley

Re: Herbert Strong returns ! Metropolis
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2024, 10:47:39 PM »
Played Metropolis yesterday and I was impressed. The greens were very good with undulations on just about every hole. Back to front tired greens and the rare left to right tiers even.  Generous off the tee and conditions were outstanding as this area expects it to compete in a tough neighborhood. A hidden gem if there is such a thing for a 100 plus year old course IMO.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Herbert Strong returns ! Metropolis New
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2024, 11:31:54 PM »
I played there about 20 years ago on  a  trip to Westchester County... where I also played Quaker Ridge. Quite a trip!

Here's  the history and course of Metropolis:

Golf Course - Metropolis Country Club (metropoliscc.org)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 11:01:47 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ryan Book

Re: Herbert Strong returns ! Metropolis
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2024, 10:57:21 AM »
Not quite Westchester, but across the river in Tenafly is another club that fits the regional theme; I spoke with Jaeger Kovich about his ongoing restorative project at Knickerbocker Country Club and he spent considerably more time discussing his admiration for Strong's work at the club, versus that of Donald Ross. Although it won't be practical to conduct a "proper" restoration, some photos he shared of Strong's original bunkers were shocking. I would compare them, visually, to the "weedy sea dragon" seahorse.
"Cops are an abomination." - C.B. Macdonald and/or Jello Biafra

@BethpageBlackMetal

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back