News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Goat Hill (photo tour)
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
Most locals don't appreciate the Goat
The few that like it play there because it's generally empty
There are/were a lot of good public options on the north fork and just west,Tallgrass, LI National (now private), Calverton Links (fate TBD),Cherry Creek (2 courses) Island's End, Great Rock (fate TBD), Pine Hills, Old Vine, Swan Lake,and about a half dozen others in an area without a lot of population.
and many of those are the same price as The Goat for a rider-and the ferry ride is bit longer from the North Fork ;D (12 minutes vs. 5)

If you're not a pretty good player, the Goat is awfully hard because you're generally hitting out of a tight, bare or cuppy lie, and missing your spot by 10 yards can result in a 50 yard different outcome.
Also,even though it's relatively short, it's a much harder course if you're a short hitter as if you can't get over the hills 230-260 out you lose a lot of roll and your second is exponentially harder.

The Goat is the ultimate test of would you choose interesting fun golf with poor conditioning over medioce architecture(Cherry Creek) with better conditioning.
We all have our limits in this area, and yesterday the moistness of the "turf" yesterday tested my limits.
I also don't enjoy The Goat as much in a typically wet May when the weeds/approaches are being allowed to grow long(as in 2 inches) so that there might be some grass there come August-
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:53:40 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »
Keith:  what Jeff said.

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »
BCowan:  yes

Michael Blake

« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »
I like the logo.

Dave Falkner

« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »
Im in  However I will have to ask for a dispensation on rule #4 having taken the pledge.  7 pages is almost  merionesque! speaking of which

I was reading in an old brooklyn eagle how Flynn and MacDonald were looking at property on the other side of west neck road to build another 18   

jeffwarne

« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »
I like the logo.

The logo depicts an actual green-easy pin that day

Dave,
you're good-somebody has to drive us back to the ferry......
Remind me to tell you about my last ride to the last ferry next time i see you ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sam Morrow

« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2014, 11:55:38 PM »
Looking at the overhead of Goat Hill, is that the range surrounded by forest?

jeffwarne

« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »
Looking at the overhead of Goat Hill, is that the range surrounded by forest?

It is...circa 2000ish
Have never been there-seriously

Tim Martin

« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2014, 09:21:22 AM »
I will keep the 16, 23 and 30 open and await your decree. I assume that the commissioner would rule by decree?
P.S. can we take trolleys to carry the beer?

I'm interested.  Are there any good courses in the area to be add ons for the trip ?

Didn't GolfNow.com have that "East End Special" where you could play NGLA/Shinnecock/Goat Hill for $99? Does anybody know if that is still going on?

Michael Blake

« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
Didn't GolfNow.com have that "East End Special" where you could play NGLA/Shinnecock/Goat Hill for $99? Does anybody know if that is still going on?

Yes.  Just booked it.  Act quickly-the winter rate is $79 for the three.

Tim Martin

« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »

Yes.  Just booked it.  Act quickly-the winter rate is $79 for the three.

Michael-Thanks for the heads up. That includes the lobster lunch at NGLA right?

Chris Shaida

« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2014, 02:16:29 PM »
On the '76 earliest courses in the US' thread Jim Kennedy has just posted several articles from late 1895 mentioning a 9 hole course about to be laid out on a hilly part of Shelter Island.  Does anybody know if that is what became the Goat? or is it the beginnings of Gardiners Bay or something else altogether?

jeffwarne

« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
On the '76 earliest courses in the US' thread Jim Kennedy has just posted several articles from late 1895 mentioning a 9 hole course about to be laid out on a hilly part of Shelter Island.  Does anybody know if that is what became the Goat? or is it the beginnings of Gardiners Bay or something else altogether?

Chris-that's gotta be The Goat
for some reason their website say 1901, but I've seen newspaper accounts of 1897-hauling the clubhouse up on logs
The Goat is in an area called The Heights, much hillier and higher than the Gardiner's Bay area, though GB has plenty of undulation.
Sounds like Strath decribes it perfectly ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:24:22 PM by jeffwarne »

BCowan

« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »
Thee Goat has such a cool logo...  That just adds to the lure......

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2014, 11:20:05 PM »
The Goat  - 1902

http://tinyurl.com/nwvxnzt

They even managed to keep the gazebo.

I came across an article that has the Pro in the photo, Laing, as the person responsible for laying-out the course (when Pros did such things  ;D )
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

jeffwarne

« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2014, 11:51:52 PM »
The Goat  - 1902

http://tinyurl.com/nwvxnzt

They even managed to keep the gazebo.

I came across an article that has the Pro in the photo, Laing, as the person responsible for laying-out the course (when Pros did such things  ;D )

Knew it was my kind've place.
Ping-Pong Committee, baseball committee ;D ;D

BCowan

« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
Some updates on thee Goat?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2014, 09:39:06 PM »

Sadly, the "East End Special" is no longer available.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BCowan

« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2014, 09:43:36 PM »

Sadly, the "East End Special" is no longer available.

Howard, ''East End Special'' was just a joke... 

jeffwarne

« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2014, 10:18:13 PM »
played there Monday
18 in a foursome followed by two emergency 9's ;)
Goat always best when no one tries to do anything ;) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:55:08 PM by jeffwarne »

BCowan

« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2014, 10:21:33 PM »
''Have a new super-which scares me Roll Eyes-Goat always best when no one tries to do anything ''

I will say a prayer, that is really serious.  I hope the cat is from across the pond...

Ari Techner

« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2014, 01:24:48 PM »
I'm interested in GCA Goat day but only if someone is willing to tow me across the water on water skis so I can receive those extra strokes.....

BCowan

« Reply #172 on: October 19, 2015, 09:02:35 PM »
Did you win the Goat Invitational this year?  Where there any carts damaged this year ;D ;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »
Did you win the Goat Invitational this year?  Where there any carts damaged this year ;D ;D

No-long victory drought in Goat Open.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:55:44 PM by jeffwarne »

BHoover

« Reply #174 on: June 07, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
Look what showed up unexpectedly in my mailbox yesterday evening.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back