News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith OHalloran

Re: Goat Hill (photo tour)
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
Hoover,
It is a Chevy Spark, and yes it is OK for cart paths and most aprons!

jeffwarne

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2014, 02:05:28 PM »
Jeff,
You have made a good case for the Goat here, and a lot of people seem interested. How about a GCA play day at The Goat? If you get less than 18, we could all play in the same group. We could either stay there, or go to The Corner Bar for bear pulling after!

These are the rules

1. The Commissioner makes the rules
2. Don't forget rule #1
3. Carts mandatory
4. Budweiser mandatory-though supplementing with shots perfectly acceptable
5.Gambling mandatory-Commissioner sets handicaps-usually a 30-50% reduction-additional shots avilable for those who waterski over
6.$10 whine fines-nobody gives a shit how you usually play or how fast your greens are at home
7. don't touch your ball
8.putt 'em all out-if it's a gimme you should be able to make it
9.no rangefinders
10. Non GCA outing pace enforced -1 1/2 hour nines maximum for 4 balls.
10.NO BEARD PULLING, or any other body parts

way too many good bars on Shelter Island to go back to mainland-but take a cab
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
I am in. As you know, I usually violate rule 4 with Bud Light, but in accordance with rule 1, I will comply. Let me know the date, and I will be there.

jeffwarne

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »
I am in. As you know, I usually violate rule 4 with Bud Light, but in accordance with rule 1, I will comply. Let me know the date, and I will be there.

Might be cheaper to just send a check, but less fun....
Bud Light acceptable if presented in a sippy cup
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
Sounds like my normal game rules, if you take out the water-skiing adjustment and add:

11.  Mulligans allowed, but only if you shotgun a beer prior to the retee.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sam Morrow

« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »
I was in until you girls said Budweiser

Alex Miller

« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »
Sounds like my normal game rules, if you take out the water-skiing adjustment and add:

11.  Mulligans allowed, but only if you shotgun a beer prior to the retee.

Gameover, Keith will win. Sounds like you guys have room for 11, maybe 12 more in your group?  :D

jeffwarne

« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »

11.  Mulligans allowed, but only if you shotgun a beer prior to the retee.

Gameover, Keith will win. Sounds like you guys have room for 11, maybe 12 more in your group?  :D

Never, ever understimate the powers of the Commissioner
Who needs a mulligan to shotgun a beer? ::) ::) ::)

The Goat, and Budweiser, are the ultimate acid tests ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:26:25 PM by jeffwarne »

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »
OK Jeff, this is starting to shape up. We have a commissioner, we have rules, we have a venue, now we need is a date and a field. I am hoping that you have sparked enough curiosity for people to come out.
Anyone, Anyone Bueller? Bueller?

Chris Shaida

« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
I'm in and perhaps the commissioner will make some special dispensation for me since I'll bet that I will be the only participant who played his first round of golf ever here -- and at the ripe old age of 41 at that!

jeffwarne

« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2014, 06:20:56 PM »
Summer for sure-Goat's gotta be prime
am Bridge-walking only
pm Goat riding only
Monday in late June

Can play Goat only.
Can't play Bridge only

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2014, 08:55:41 AM »
I will keep the 16, 23 and 30 open and await your decree. I assume that the commissioner would rule by decree?
P.S. can we take trolleys to carry the beer?

jeffwarne

« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »
I will keep the 16, 23 and 30 open and await your decree. I assume that the commissioner would rule by decree?

Ok -walked the Goat today- 18 holes with Chuck Glowacki (Goat virgin)
Turns out I am a conditions freak. ;D
Course was soft from snow melt, heavy rain last night and rain Wednesday
Tough to pitch off tight wet dirt ::) ::) and much less bounce than usual, but gravity still a strong force and the ball was running decently, but first bounce far less lively-greens quite nice.
Nice day and good to be playing again-29 degrees and snow predicted for Monday

We both agreed Indian Island next week and give The Goat a chance to firm up-don't want to get used to a (semi) aeriel game ;)

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2014, 05:49:27 PM »
So, you get someone to go for the first time, he doesn't like it, and you blame the unusual conditions? Where have I heard that before?  ;D

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »
So, you get someone to go for the first time, he doesn't like it, and you blame the unusual conditions? Where have I heard that before?  ;D

'Too bad you're seeing the course like this, the greens are usually faster'

::)

jeffwarne

« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2014, 07:30:28 PM »

Oh he liked it it, he won a press (course I had to talk him into it ;))
It was me that didn't like less of a Goat advantage

and Mark, you're close,
except I had to tell him "the greens aren't usually this good" ;D ;D they were really good

Must've been the walking ::) ::)

On the bright side - gotta like a $5 honor box

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »
So I go with Jeff yesterday to the Goat.  Keith, I loved it.  Jeff was not so happy with the wet/non-fast conditions
of the fairways.  Fairways were ok by me.  Where the Goat really shines is the greens.  Tiny in size, big in slope/tilt
Probably running at 4/5 anything more would be unplayable!
Played by all of the commissioner's rules with the exception of #3 (carts were not available).
Loved the honor's box, $5 for all day golf.
Jeff, thanks for putting up with me.

BCowan

« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »
Chuck

Was Jeff's detailed analysis of the Goat pretty spot on? 

JC Jones

« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »

I'm interested.  Are there any good courses in the area to be add ons for the trip ?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

BCowan

« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »
''Brian, Josh, myself, and many others have suggested that we grew up playing courses very similar to this and Goat Hill isn’t all that unique to us. Many have suggested that this looks like a fun place to play, but only Ben and Jeff and maybe one or two others have suggested they’d go well out of their way to play it. Jeff, Ben, would you be willing to discuss the courses you grew up on? I know Ben grew up playing at his parents’ club, which I doubt looks much like Goat Hill. Jeff, where did you learn the game? I suspect Goat Hill might be much more unique to your background than it is to mine, and perhaps that’s why courses like it occupy such a high ground in your eyes. I’d be happy to post some photos of my childhood courses if I get back to them this year. I think anyone who loves The Goat would be likely to find those courses similarly charming. While there’s endless space in my heart for courses like this, there’s frankly very little space for them in my travel itineraries these days. I’d happily stop in if I was on the island, but I doubt I’d take the ferry solely to visit.''

Jason,

Were the courses you played built on sand?  I grew up at a modest club, and many of my friends didn't that I caddied with.  I also started at 12 and saved up enough money to buy my own car at 16, did you?  We played all the courses in the city.  Ottawa Park Golf course in Toledo,OH was claimed to have started in 1894 says SP Jermain.  It was the first to host the Pub links Championship.  We used to play emergency rounds there all the time.  A few courses in the area got firm when the clay dried out after a couple weeks of no rain, but nothing to the extent that Jeff described.  I love your admiration for ''Main Street'' one minute then you claim ''Trolley's'' look tacky.  Jeff also tried to explain to you his reasons in about 3 separate occasions which you failed to address, but instead turned it into a diatribe of Golf in America and roots.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:59:45 AM by BCowan »

Chris Shaida

« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »

I'm interested.  Are there any good courses in the area to be add ons for the trip ?

hillarious! gotta be on the shortlist for post of the year

BHoover

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »
I can't wait to play Goat Hill in a 17-some with all of us tooling around in Keith's super sweet Chevy Spark! Who needs to walk, trolley or use a cart when you've got a Spark!

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2014, 11:30:50 AM »
Chuck, I am glad that you enjoyed yourself. Anyone that could play that course for 5$, with Jeff, and not have fun is missing the point.
I do have a question though. Besides, Jeff, you probably live closest to The Goat on this board. It seems like this weekend was your first ever play there. Why do you think that is?

jeffwarne

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »
cause he has access at NGLA and lives down the street from Indian Island (a pretty darn good underrated Course) where he pays  $17 ;D ;D

after all The Goat is a HIDDEN ;) gem
remember I never played St. George's until I played it with you, and I've gotten around a bit (and NO I am not comparing the Goat to St. Georges ;D ;D)

and he got off season wet Goat(sounds like something you should take antibiotics for) and had to suffer me walking and carrying (suprised I didn't incur any whine fines)
and definitely didn't get the "big game" goat experience our crew usually provides (and leaves a lot of people shaking their heads-ask Greg Gauvin ;) ;D and Tim Garvin ;))

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2014, 11:47:18 AM »
Jeff, I have no doubt that Chuck has other options, I was just interested in why locals do not go to The Goat. I know people who have lived in North Sea their entire lives and have never played The Goat. I think they are missing out on a unique experience and I am interested why?

As for St George's, it is on the other side of the canal, please don't lead people on this board to believe that it was a small feat to get you there!  ;D ;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back