News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Re: TOP 20 COURSES YOU WOULD RECOMMEND TO GOOD GOLFING MATES
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 09:25:50 PM »
Sean:

Best "hidden" gems I have seen:

The Island Club
Alwoodley
Ballyliffin Old
Meadow Club
Brancaster
St. Germain
Lawsonia Links

I would also say that I meet very few people that know much about one of my home courses:

The Olde Farm

These courses are generally unranked and unknown by the masses...of course, many get discussed here but there are few very good courses that haven't received attention here.  They all have interesting and very walkable routings.  They have above average green complexes.  They all make me smile and I'd go back to all of them without hesitation.

Bart

J_ Crisham

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »
Eastward Ho
Fishers Island
Charles River
Mountain Ridge
Mountain Lake
Lancaster CC
The Dunes Club
White Bear Yacht Club
Wakonda
Crystal Downs
MPCC dunes
The Cal Club
The Valley Club
Prairie Dunes
Milwaukee CC
Lawsonia  links
Pacific Dunes
Somerset Hills
Wanamoisset
Beverly- lots of fun guys to get a game with

Tom Kelly

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 05:50:00 AM »
Answering the original topic question I'd think I'd just end up listing my top 20 courses so instead I'll try to break it down abit more as I'd recommend different courses to different people in different situations. I'm also probably not going to make 20, I could easily recommend 20 but I think I'd be abit pickier.

As a qualifier, most of my golfing mates are solid golfers, but not all that well traveled, so outside of the obvious big boys they'll have limited knowledge and they would probably not be overly keen on spending £100+ on a round unless it's a real treat.

Unfortunately Sean I'd doubt I'm going to bring up any you haven't already heard of or played...

Real treats/must plays;
TOC
Prestwick
North Berwick
Dornoch

Courses that they may not have heard of and are good value. Should play if you're in the area;
Notts
Liphook
Lindrick
The Addington
Huntercombe
Sherwood Forest

Dirt cheap, interesting and with heaps of potential;
Meyrick Park

If anyone makes it to Oz;
Kingston Heath
Woodlands
Barnbougle Dunes
St Andrews Beach
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 03:41:13 AM by Tom Kelly »

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
Folks, the list I offered is far from my favourites.  

John

I would love to play your Camden, Palmetto & Chechessee trio plus Sheehy's Aiken and Rivermont.  

Tom

I have long wanted to see Meyrick Park, but have harboured doubts.  Is it worth a drive down south?

Robert

North Fork? Talk to me.

Two folks mentioned Chicago's Old Elm.  Is it one of those ulta exclusive Chicago clubs?  Do you know of a good photo tour?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Felton

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »
I'm going to go with courses that anyone can play and that a lot of people probably haven't heard of or wouldn't think of and that I have played.

Bethpage Red
Hankley Common
Hindhead
Tallgrass
Denham
Effingham
Seaford
Seaton Carew
Stoke Park
Sunningdale Ladies
Wentworth East
Worplesdon
Wolfdancer
The Rim
Panmure
Southerndown
Pennard
Ashburnham
Waterville
Glasgow Gailes

Nigel Islam

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 02:02:42 PM »
This is going to be the ultimate homer post, but...

If you're just talking about a good golfing trip, Indianapolis on the whole is severely underrated.

3 really good privates:
Crooked Stick
Wolf Run
Broadmoor

5-6 really good publics:
The Trophy Club
The Fort
Brickyard Crossing
Purgatory
Heartland Crossing
Prairie View (this is probably my least favorite course on this list)

Toss in a few courses worth driving a few minutes:
Rock Hollow
Coyote Crossing
Kampen Course at Purdue
Harrison Hills

Sure, they won't dazzle anyone with views or top 100 status (I think both Wolf and the Stick are on the edge of a couple lists) but I guarantee you'll have 3-4 really good days of playing golf.  Most likely, far more affordable than somewhere else.  Plus some really good restaurants and under-rated brewery scene.

/end homer status

I just actually found this Josh, and I could not agree more. Indy is the ultimate place to get a lot of Pete Dye quickly too. Throw in Josh's Ross, some very good Liddy, and a couple of Smeyer's best.

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 03:03:57 PM »
Sean,

Old Elm is one of those exclusive men's club, although I think you'd love the course and the relaxed vibe of the club once past the gates.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
Old town (people / raters need to seek it out)
The Berkshire x 2
Cal club
Machrihanish Dunes
Swinley Forest
Lookout mountain
Rivermont
Bel Air
Pennard
Alwoodley
New Zealand
Royal Ashdown forest
Dismal river Nicklaus
Sebonack
The Emirates Majilis
The Island
O'Mahoney's point - Killarney
Aiken GC
Enniscrone
Rosapenna old (avoid Sandy Hills)

Like this list-a few surprises given the extensive travels of Brian

Just played Aiken GC-have played it once every 10 years since 1979-always loved the place even when it was dirt
5700 yards-drove it great and used driver off every tee-never felt easy
love O 'Mahoney's Point, Enniscrone, Rosapenna Old, The Island
all discovered pre GCA

Many others on his list discovered post GCA
 and quite a few left to see on his list
noteably Rivermont and Dismal Nicklaus

only one small quibble w/ Mac Dunes-I'd recommend Dunaverty over MD to a group of friends looking for an afternoon round after Machrihanish.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Davis

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
Let me think here, if I had friends where would I send them? In my case, these are buddies from my club, so I can rule out everything from The Netherlands, all excellent players mid to low single digits, have not really travelled at all to play golf and believe our course is one of the best in the world. Which of course it is  ;D

Here is where I'd send them:

Bandon Dunes Resort - Oregon is where I'm from and I'm proud Bandon is what represents it.
Cypress - because it's my greatest golfing experience.
Pebble - A great day out in a great area on a famous and fun course, besides they need something else to do when I send them all the way to Carmel for Cypress.
Pine Valley - because of it's awesomeness.
Royal County Down - because we have a links course and RCD is my favority links course on the planet.
Lahinch - because it's quirky and epitomizes amazing golf in Ireland.
Balleybunion - another bucket list experience.
Old Course - no need to explain. Everyone must make the pilgrimage.
Kingsbarns - my favorite manufactured links course with great view on every hole.
Cruden Bay - spectacular quirk and I'd love to see their faces after they big into the hamburger which is filled with and taste like haggies. Yuck!
Dornoch - turn back the clocks, time forgotten town with an amazing course.
Whistling Straits - what happens when bombs meet a golf course, another amazing manufactured almost links.
Wolf Point - simply one of the best experiences you can have on a golf course period.
Old Head - breathtaking views, vertigo and decent golf. The combination there is spectacular for the non-GCA nerd.
Royal Melbourne - Fastest green on the planet and an entire different experience.
Kingston Heath - Dido fastest greens, plus the warmest welcome I've ever experienced at a golf club and an amazing course.
North Berwick - Scottish Old School with the typical out and back routing not to mention cool quirk.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

William_G

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 01:03:21 AM »
I'm not biased but I would have Bandon at the top of my list.

For fast. firm . low environmental impact  plus the Preserve and The Punchbowl , there is no better place to start with.
Then Pebble
Riviera
Cabo del Sol
Koolau
Plantation
Shadowcreek
Sawgrass
Pinehurst #2
Lawsonia
Erin Hills
Beverly
Sebonack
Aronimink
The Old Course
Tralee
Peachtree
Mountain Lake
Seminole
Boston Golf Club
Too much golf so little time
It's all about the golf!

Tom Kelly

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 05:07:44 AM »
Tom

I have long wanted to see Meyrick Park, but have harboured doubts.  Is it worth a drive down south?

Ciao

Sean,

Unfortunately in it's current state I wouldn't say it is worth a special trip, but if your in the area it is definitely worth stopping by. The place is just too overgrown at the moment and the cramped 18th is a real let down, but having said that judging by your posts I think you'd really appreciate the potential and love some of the really fun, quirky holes. I'd love to see it given a overhaul, but can't see it happening anytime soon.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 07:31:54 AM »
   Let's see, I'm hosting a bunch of my fellow rules officials from around the country (3 foursomes would be manageable). I get a tour bus for a three week tour of New England, get the hotels and restaurants lined up. So, where do I take this crew. Well, I want to give them a good mix of old and new and not all the best known but fun and challenging and let's do this in late September with all the colors.

I would take my friends to-----------

Maine----------Northeast Harbor Golf Club

Vermont-------Ekwanok, Rutland CC

New Hampshire----Bretwood North, Keene CC, Manchester CC, Hooper Golf Club

Rhode Island----Point Judith

Connecticut----Black Hall,  CC of Fairfield

Massachusetts--WiannoClub, Worcester CC, Vineyard Golf Club, Olde Sandwich, Boston Golf Club, Salem CC,Brae Burn,

Whitinsville GC, Winchester CC, Blue Hill CC

Ithink that would be a good representation of what we have to offer up here
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Robert Emmons

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
North Fork...only Ross on long Island...RHE

Tim Leahy

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »
How about 20 favorite publics in Cali from south to north:
1.  Barona Creek
2. Torrey Pines South
3. Industry Hills Ike
4. Santa Anita
5. Angeles National
6. Rustic Canyon
7. Malibu
8. Olivas Links
9. Soule Park
10. Rancho San Marcos
11. Sandpiper
12. La Purisima
13. Monarch Dunes
14. Bayonet/Blackhorse
15. Pacific Grove
16. Spyglass Hill
17. Pebble Beach
18. Poppy Hills
19. Pasatiempo
20. Harding Park
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
Tim,

Isn't Morgan Creek in your backyard? Why doesn't it make the list. How about Wildhorse?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Leahy

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2013, 02:20:39 AM »
Tim,

Isn't Morgan Creek in your backyard? Why doesn't it make the list. How about Wildhorse?

I have never been a fan of either course. Did you mean Darkhorse in Auburn? That would be in my top 50 but neither of the other two would.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2013, 05:58:37 AM »
I recommend courses based on trips/destinations, so from my last 2 years, these would be the best 4 trips...

Bandon Dunes: Pac, Old Mac, Trails, Sheep Ranch

Scottish Highlands: Cruden Bay, Castle Stuart, Royal Dornoch, Broara

Sand Hills Region via Denver: Common Ground, Ballyneal, Sand Hills, Dismal Red, Wild Horse

London/English Chanel: Walton Heath Old, The Addington, Royal Worlington and Newmarket, Royal St George's, Royal Cinque Ports, Rye

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 03:16:34 AM »
Tom

Its true, I am digging for gems :D .

I was hoping that including 20 would encourage folks not to list courses which are quite similar even if individually great. 

My second thought

Lahinch
Old Town
St Enodoc
Prestwick
Merion
Kington
Sacred 9
North Berwick
Pennard
Ganton
Cruden Bay
TOC
Sandwich
Deal
Lakewood Shores Gailes
Perranporth
Cavendish
Alwoodley
Southerndown
Dornoch

Isn't that odd, I didn't get the impression you thought much of Kington except for the opening and closing scene.

Ciao

Nearly 5 years on and my recos are very different. 

St Enodoc
Sacred 9
Palmetto
Kington
Welshpool
Elie
Goswick
Cavendish
Aiken
Lakewood Shores Gailes
Pennard
Woking
Corballis
Southerndown
Cleeve Cloud
Reddish Vale
Sutton Coldfield Winter Card
Reigate Heath
LuLu
Leckford Old

I actually played some of the courses based at least partly on this thread...Palmetto, Aiken, Elie & Goswick...the recos were very good!  I need more suggestions so crack on folks.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David Davis

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 04:01:31 AM »
Sean,

I suppose you are assuming that everyone already took most of your first recommendation.

I noticed you removed several of my favorite courses from your redo list but kept things like Sacred 9 on there.

To be more specific I'm talking about:

Lahinch
Old Town
Prestwick
Merion
North Berwick
Cruden Bay
TOC
Sandwich
Deal
etc

Does this mean you would now recommend those new listing above these?

If so it would seem that long term crystal meth use does indeed have a strong impact on people....just saying. Still love ya though!  ;D
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Sam Andrews

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2017, 04:30:09 AM »
To add a few other names not mentioned so far

GB

West Hill
Fortrose & Rosemarkie
Cooden Beach
Ashridge
Machrihanish (original)
Hawick

Clovelly South Africa

Hardelot Pines, France
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:32:54 AM by Sam Andrews »
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2017, 04:30:56 AM »
Trying not to repeat the Usual Suspects, I would recommend the following clusters to good golfing chums looking for something a bit different (and especially those coming from North America, and looking for more than the usual marquee names). The clubs, at all these places, are welcoming and often small-scale, and reflect a world of (in general) $1000 annual subscriptions (and sometimes much less):  Luffness is perhaps the main exception. I am not claiming for one second that these are all 'great' courses, or even very good ones (although many of them are): but they all provide enjoyable, fun, challenging and simply interesting places to play golf.

Starting in the North and moving South

Edzell
Braids No 1
Luffness (for a mini-Muirfield experience without the 'freightedness' of the Hon Company)
Gullane 3

Goswick
Dunstanburgh

Wirral Ladies
Llandindrod Wells
Minchinhampton (Old)

Berkhamsted
Liphook
Woodbridge (both courses)
Bungay and Waveney Valley
Flempton

I would have had Royston in this list too, once upon a time, but now that hitting over various local roads is no longer permitted, necessitating some unfortunate changes, it's not what it was.

Broadstone
High Post

and four better-known but different courses to finish

Silloth
Alwoodley

for both being brilliant and not-that-heralded and

Harlech
Westward Ho!
for both offering natural (no fairway watering), historic, challenging seaside fun, and afterwards my friends can inspect the RND museum or locate the five Open Champions on the honours boards at RStD.

Matt Dawson

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2017, 04:43:36 AM »
I would have had Royston in this list too, once upon a time, but now that hitting over various local roads is no longer permitted, necessitating some unfortunate changes, it's not what it was.

That's the best news I've heard in a long time. It was one of my least favourite courses in UK. Each to their own I guess...

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2017, 04:50:47 AM »
Sean,

I suppose you are assuming that everyone already took most of your first recommendation.

I noticed you removed several of my favorite courses from your redo list but kept things like Sacred 9 on there.

To be more specific I'm talking about:

Lahinch
Old Town
Prestwick
Merion
North Berwick
Cruden Bay
TOC
Sandwich
Deal
etc

Does this mean you would now recommend those new listing above these?

If so it would seem that long term crystal meth use does indeed have a strong impact on people....just saying. Still love ya though!  ;D

David

Things move on.  Most of the folks I know fairly well to well have played these courses, hope to play them or decided they won't play them. 

Richard

Llandindrod Wells and High Post remain somewhat of a mystery to me.  Do you have any pix?

Ciao

Richard Fisher

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2017, 05:12:02 AM »
Sean - sorry, I never take pix on golf trips (in fact, don't possess a camera)

But if you like Welshpool and Kington then I am pretty sure you will like Llandindrod Wells, which is perhaps a slightly less wild version of both with an engaging Vardon design with spectacular views: as a club it was notable as for many years the home of the great amateur John L Morgan, the first Welshman ever to play in the Walker Cup

http://www.lwgc.co.uk/

High Post is chalky downland with some similarities to both Gog Magog Old and Luffenham, and arguably the nearest course of any merit to Stonehenge. Some say its best days are behind it, but I have always enjoyed playing there, in an atmosphere redolent (like Tadmarton) of the sorts of clubs I used to experience as a kid with my father.

https://www.highpostgolfclub.co.uk/

Incidentally, you must get to Suffolk one day for a proper trip: Purdis Heath/Woodbridge/Rushmere/Thorpeness  all, in different ways, merit the eagle Arble gaze (as of course does Aldeburgh).

Bart Bradley

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2017, 06:16:26 AM »
Sean:

Best "hidden" gems I have seen:

The Island Club
Alwoodley
Ballyliffin Old
Meadow Club
Brancaster
St. Germain
Lawsonia Links

I would also say that I meet very few people that know much about one of my home courses:

The Olde Farm

These courses are generally unranked and unknown by the masses...of course, many get discussed here but there are few very good courses that haven't received attention here.  They all have interesting and very walkable routings.  They have above average green complexes.  They all make me smile and I'd go back to all of them without hesitation.

Bart

New add ons to this list would be:

Moraine
Le Touquet - La Mer
Brora
Formby

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back