News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt OBrien

why does old number 5 have 3 bunkers on the right side when the aerial shots only show 2? Is this due to advancement in technology? 

Powell Arms

Matt,

You're correct. In general, adjustments were made to account for technology and today's distances. Rather than recreate a bunker at exactly the location it existed in 1938, bunkers were rebuilt, reintriduced, etc to restore the intent of the 1938 bunkering. That is to say, if a bunker threatened a drive in 1938, it is now rebuilt to threaten a 2013 drive (let's say 200 yards for member goes to 250)

For old 5, this design approach resulted in a third bunker being added to keep the bunkers in play for bombers, and adds a lot of strategy to the tee shot.  It may not be evident in the photos, but the lip height of the bunkers increases as they get further from the tee, and the fairway slopes dramatically right to left. If you cannot play a tee shot right to left off of the tee, your ball will feed down to those bunkers.  We have the ability to mow the collars and allow the fairway to feed into the bunkers if desired.

A shorter hitter (or iron off of the tee for a longer player) that misses would find themselves with a relatively easy recovery from a shallow bunker with a modest lip, about 210 off of the tee and 160 yards from the green. The middle bunker has a slightly higher lip and the third has the highest, so if you're going to rip driver, then don't miss. You will be left with a 100 yard approach to an elevated green that has to contend with a deeper bunker and high lip.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:32:16 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Bob Harris

It will be interesting to see how it plays; it looks fabulous and I bet as it matures it will become even more appealing.
     When will it be resloped and course rated? I'm going to guess from the back it is going to slope in the low to mid 140's and the course rating is going to be well over its par. In it's pre restoration iteration it was a solid test, it will be substantially tougher now, especailly on the front nine.
     The project was obviously well thought out and Mr. Fosters execution of the plan looks first rate.
      I played another Foster restoration, Eastward Ho, 5 weeks ago. If Wissahickon comes out anything like that, the membership is indeed lucky.
   Powell, thanks again for your extended tour of the work. You did a superb job of keeping us posted.

The 2014 GAP Rating schedule has not as yet been released, but I'm fairly certain that PCC Wissahickon will be rated next Spring.  

Update:  We did the course rating today.  What a great job, the pictures do not do it justice. It will be interesting to see the members reaction to no fringes around the greens and no first cut of rough off the fairways.

Powell Arms

Update:  We did the course rating today.  What a great job, the pictures do not do it justice. It will be interesting to see the members reaction to no fringes around the greens and no first cut of rough off the fairways.

Bob, we had heard a rumor that the course rating would be done today.  I have already made my completely unscientific prediction for slope and rating from the members' tee. Safely sealed in an envelope (and on twitter)

I think the reaction to the lack of collars is growing on people. One of the interesting things to note during the membership walk through last week was the substantial increase in the number of hole locations created by not having collars.  

Glad to hear you enjoyed the walk!
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Matt OBrien

Powell....My guess is 73.8/147 from the tips.

Roger Wolfe

Near and dear to my heart... but this is still my favorite "before and after" slideshow...

http://www.carolinagolfclub.org/Final-Comp-Pics-for-Spence.aspx

Powell Arms

There is loosing all around Philly today with 2-4 inches of rain last night, and more still falling.

But the new 18th green at Wissahickon is high and dry!  The green was raised about 24 inches. That coupled with the fairway surface and subsurface drainage improvements solved the problem.

A big difference from the type of flooding that occurred in prior, similar rainfalls.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:46:25 AM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Dan Herrmann

Great photos!

Drainage is probably the most important facet of Golf Course Architecture that non-architects don't "get".

Powell Arms

Drainage is probably the most important facet of Golf Course Architecture that non-architects don't "get".

Until their drives are plugging in the fairway! I am anxious to see how the new bunkers throughout Wissahickon handle this rain. This storm would have been deviating to the old bunkers, which all dated from 1920's and had no drainage.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Matt OBrien

Powell,
Somewhere there is a picture of the entire green covered in water and all you can see is the flag.....do you know where that is?

Powell Arms

Powell,
Somewhere there is a picture of the entire green covered in water and all you can see is the flag.....do you know where that is?

These are from two 1,000 year storms, 13 days apart in 2011

Here's Hurricane Irene, Aug 28, 2011

And here's two weeks later, Sept 8, 2011.  I dont think this storm was named.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:45:19 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Powell Arms

18, no willow free!!!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:39:02 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

D_Malley

http://s178.photobucket.com/user/pwarms/media/Golf3302_zps6630e41c.jpg.html

Curious as to why you are keeping the large tree to the left of the cart path on green side of creek #18.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:34:28 AM by D_Malley »

Aaron McMaster

18, now willow free!!!

Major improvement! 

Powell Arms

http://s178.photobucket.com/user/pwarms/media/Golf3302_zps6630e41c.jpg.html

Curious as to why you are keeping the large tree to the left of the cart path on green side of creek #18.

In general, we kept specimen trees throughout the course, whether interior to the property or on the perimeter, when they did not interfere with reasonable lines of play, turf health, etc.  There are a couple of exceptions to this rule.  For example, a tree that stayed is the tree that sits green front right on 6 stayed to further enhance the dogleg right on a short par 4.  An example of a tree that was removed is the one that sat between 4 & 7 fairways about 150 yards off of the tee box.  That was removed so that when standing on new 4 tee (old 7) the player had an unobstructed view of the great hazard on new 7 (old 4), and that hazard was in your head for  new 4,5,6 (old 7,8,9).

This tree sits about 40 yards front right of 18 green.  18 green was moved a couple of yards left (as part of the floodwater avoidance) and the tree was pruned considerably, so the current thinking is that it will be out of play in most cases.  I am sure that we will continue to monitor that tree and others to be sure that the reality of play matches up with the current thinking.  That same thinking holds true for keeping the two trees at at top of the hoill, fairway right about 135 yards from the green (one is seen in the photo immediately above.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 04:36:52 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Gib Carpenter

"..Curious as to why you are keeping the large tree to the left of the cart path on green side of creek #18...."

Dan, you will always be part of "we" at PCC. Gibber
GCA/AOK

D_Malley

Powell,
Thanks for the response, which makes perfect sense with the tree being trimmed and the green site moved.
It is easy to take out a large specimen tree, but you can not put it back once it is gone.
The only tree i miss is the one which was growing through the middle of the clubhouse.

The golf course really looks awesome!
I have always thought that the best course in Philly was hiding under all those trees.

Gibber,
Thx for the kind words, i really miss those afternoons playing golf with you and the boys at PCC.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:23:03 AM by D_Malley »

Powell Arms

Although the Consturction ended in October, work continues in the restoration. The Grounds  and teaching teams are putting together some quick videos on how to play restored features, such as grass bunker faces , ball against green edge without collar, and this one on escaping the Great Hazard.

The video gives a nice perspective on the scale of the hazard.

http://youtu.be/znvtj2No5L0

I think these videos will be a nice way to keep up excitement over the winter months.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Powell Arms

A discussion of Philly Cricket's restoration bookends a discussion of Restoration, Renovation, Remodel on Thursday's Morning Drive Architect's Week

Some pretty insightful comments from Matt, Gary and Charlie.  Nothing new for this group but certainly beyond what most golfers/viewers consider.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/timelapse-restoration-pennsylvanias-historic-cricket-club/

Nice iphone cover!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:10:23 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Powell Arms

The PGA of America is coming to Philly Cricket!  The 48th PGA Professional National Championship will be held on the Wissahickon and Militia Hill courses on June 21-24, 2015.

More info here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_kP8q44wQbVWpvQk55UjRlcXc/edit?usp=sharing

There is a chance that the snow will have melted by summer 2015!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:04:43 AM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Jim Sherma

Cool tournament. Hershey CC hosted it in 2011. We had three rounds on the newer and more difficult East Course and one round on the older West Course. Do you know how the split will be for Cricket? The quality of the field was very good. 11-under won in a three man playoff and T-20 broke par.

The PGA of America is coming to Philly Cricket!  The 48th PGA Professional National Championship will be held on the Wissahickon and Militia Hill courses on June 21-24, 2015.

More info here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_kP8q44wQbVWpvQk55UjRlcXc/edit?usp=sharing

There is a chance that the snow will have melted by summer 2015!

Tim Gavrich

Re: Renovation of Philly Cricket's Wissahickon: PGA Pro National Champ coming
« Reply #247 on: February 03, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »
Wow, congrats to Philly Cricket; with the event coming to the Dunes Golf & Beach Club this June, it'll be a two-years-running stretch where both a classic and a modern course will be used. I like that idea; should make for an even rounder test for the PGA pros.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Powell Arms

Re: Renovation of Philly Cricket's Wissahickon: PGA Pro National Champ coming
« Reply #248 on: February 03, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »
Jim, I am not sure yet of the mix of rounds between Militia Hill and Wissahickon.

Tim, that contrast is really cool, especially for two years in a row.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

While I've heard that it snowed, or at least threatened too, yesterday in the Phila. area, was hoping there might be some new pix... reviews... updates... etc. of the renovations of Wissahickon Course?

Just curious.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back