News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Stearns

Denver Golf
« on: July 22, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »
I have some travel to Denver coming up and iam trying to figure out where to play.

Cherry Hills is closed while iam there, and Colorado Springs and Ballyneal are both too far to go.

Heard abt a Jim Engh course in Parker--is this worth playing?

any suggestions are welcome.

Doug Wright

Re: Denver Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
CommonGround

Matt Bosela

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:08:43 PM »
CommonGround

As someone who just returned from a few days in the Denver area, I wholeheartedly second this recommendation.  You can't beat the value - great architecture at muni prices.

Jeremy Rudock

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
Decent chance that CommonGround is closed if Cherry Hills is closed because it's the companion course for the US Am.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 05:48:33 PM »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
CommonGround is a treat.  I enjoyed Fossil Trace and am glad I played it, as I understand it is representative of Engh's work.  I would play it again, but not after playing some other courses in the area.  My 10 round split would be CommonGround 2, Fossil Trace 1, and find 7 other courses in the area to try.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

John Shimp

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 10:45:20 AM »
Colorado golf club in parker

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:53:07 AM »
Another fan of CommonGround and Murphy Creek. Two public courses 11 miles apart to host USGA championships during the last four years. Not bad.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tim Pitner

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »
It tends to be overwatered in the summer because of the bent grass, but, among Denver-area publics, Riverdale Dunes is second best to CommonGround in my opinion. 

Fossil Trace is like playing golf in a funhouse.  (From Wikipedia:  "Incorporating aspects of a playful obstacle course, funhouses seek to distort conventional perceptions and startle people with unstable and unpredictable physical circumstances within an atmosphere of wacky whimsicality.").  It's not my cup of tea at all.   

Assuming access, Colorado Golf Club is the easy call.

Dean Burke

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 11:57:22 AM »
agree that Commonground a treat and certainly best bang for buck.  recently was out at bear creek golf club - another good one assuming access. 

Ross Harmon

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 04:46:42 PM »
I prefer Riverdale Dunes to CommonGround, but either is a fun 18.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 05:24:58 PM »
Riverdale Dunes is well above Murphy Creek, IMO. 

Bart

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
agree that Commonground a treat and certainly best bang for buck.  recently was out at bear creek golf club - another good one assuming access. 

Dean:

Interested to hear what you like about Bear Creek.  I've played it, and thought the club atmosphere was great.  The course itself was bizarre, if anything.  I also found it strange that a Palmer course would have the word "bear" in its name.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »

Dean:

Interested to hear what you like about Bear Creek.  I've played it, and thought the club atmosphere was great.  The course itself was bizarre, if anything.  I also found it strange that a Palmer course would have the word "bear" in its name.

Bear Creek made me miserable. It's a nice club but the course offers some the most extreme penal shots and holes I've seen anywhere.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »
The Golf Club at Bear Dance was recommended to me as the best public course in the Denver area...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48903.0.html

Tim Pitner

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 05:50:02 PM »
The Golf Club at Bear Dance was recommended to me as the best public course in the Denver area...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48903.0.html

It's not that, but it is a fun, mountain-type course near Denver with good scenery. 

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »
I enjoyed Bear Dance, though the best public option it is not ...

Stephen Davis

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 12:57:45 AM »
Anyone played at Broadmoor? I have to make a trip to Denver and Colorado Springs August 16-18. Would you suggest playing the East course or the West course? Also, is it worth it? Their website says that it is $245 for a round. That is what Bandon is at peak rates. Is it worth that?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 06:38:27 AM »
Decent chance that CommonGround is closed if Cherry Hills is closed because it's the companion course for the US Am.

CommonGround closes August 10th for the U.S. Amateur qualifying on the 13th and 14th.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 10:18:54 AM »
My quick thoughts:

- I have played Broadmoor (East) twice and really enjoyed it - a great walk, attractive bunkering, deceptively fast greens - conditioning is overly lush for my tastes, but make sense for a resort - I played a month ago at the twilight rate ($150?), and got around in a cart in a little over two hours
 - Bear Creek is an acquired taste - great staff and membership, but yes the course is penal - I was an out-of-state member for a couple years and found that the more I played it the more confidence I acquired - 'blind shots are only blind once', etc. - still, holes like 4, 12, 14 and 15 I really never figured out.
 - Colorado Golf Club is awesome and presumably accessible (at a price) while they fill in membership

Stephen Davis

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »
Thank you very much Keith. Maybe I will have to get on at twilight and make it a little more reasonable. I am also grateful for the info on CGC. I have been wanting to get to play that course the last couple of times I have been in Colorado, but have yet to make it there. It  looks awesome!

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:01:51 PM by Stewart Abramson »

David Bartman

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 08:28:50 PM »
I second or third Colorado golf club
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back