News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Simon Holt

Revetting a bunker.....Benny Hill Style
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:19:09 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEga8ik7LFY

A must see for any Benny Hill fans.

I only just found this but it shows our Renaissance Club green staff revetting a bunker 2 winters ago.  UK guys make sure you have the sound on!  A picture was taken virtually every minute throughout the process.

Relavent and funny.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Revetting a bunker.....Benny Hill Style
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:40:13 AM »

Simon

There is something to be said about using natural features or existing sand traps, but then it’s a question about finding ‘land fit for purpose’.  ::)    Having said that at least one can call that a bunker – manmade perhaps, but still a sand trap, unlike many shallow compacted sand fairways (as it would be an insult to try and call them a trap or even hazards) excuses for a bunker. :'(

If only golf could be played at that speed on some courses ;)

Melvyn

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:52:20 AM »
It looks like they did a nice job. How long did it take to do? The changing light makes it look like it took 3 days. And if so, as you're in Scotland, I'm surprised there's no rain or snow... ;) (the boys look well wrapped up though)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:59:52 AM »
Is it okay to say I liked the look of the bunker better pre-revetting?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:03:02 AM »

Bill

Are you referring to bunkers pre 1897 (remembering the Hell Bunker photo with front revetting)? Or did you forget that one?

Melvyn

Simon Holt

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:07:01 AM »
Scott,

Not sure.  We have 14 guys so I would be surprised if some were tasked with solely that bunker for a few days.  Our dept. Head Super took all the pics so I will ask him. It was the winter before last and we actually have a cluster of bunkers in that spot now.

We put in some new bunkers this year left and right of the 4th green which are pretty cool.  Most of them have worked at Gullane or Muirfield for years before they came to us so they have served good bunker apprenticeships there! ;) It really is an art.  My favourite bunker is in the middle of the 15th fairway.  Its almost like a pasta bow-tie in shape.

Bill,

Of course its fine!  We just felt it was more in keeping with the area to revet a decent amount of the bunkers.  Bruce Hepner made a 'Bunker Bible' for us which we are steadily working through.  Most of the bunkers were un-revetted to start with and we have slowly but surely been working through the BB to get them done.

Hopefully by the end of next summer we will have completed our long journey to the final product, with new holes in play, all bunkers finished and clubhouse fully operational......then we can start work on the Children's Course (just kidding, although that would be very cool)
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »

Bill

Are you referring to bunkers pre 1897 (remembering the Hell Bunker photo with front revetting)? Or did you forget that one?

Melvyn

No, I was just referring to that one bunker in the video.  I liked the original look.

Simon Holt

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:18:29 AM »
It looks like they did a nice job. How long did it take to do? The changing light makes it look like it took 3 days. And if so, as you're in Scotland, I'm surprised there's no rain or snow... ;) (the boys look well wrapped up though)

Amazingly Scott, we have not had one day of snow this winter here in our corner of East Lothian.  Last year we had 7 weeks solid with no play due to snow. The difference in winters has been incredible.  Although, it has been seriously windy which affected one of our new holes on the Firth by blowing a considerable amount of sand further down the fairway.  One of the sprinkler heads is almost 1 metre above the surface of the sand now.  A bit of natures own shaping has helped Kye Goalby out on this one.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
How does it drain?  Is the sub soil so permeable that rain percs right in?  I am imagining it with turf growth filling in the surrounding lip and revetted sod wall face.  I suppose it is a uniform and tight look that is a style of a kind.  And, it looks like the work is precise and built to last, with 2-3 layers of sod wall and sand mortared nice and level to the contour.  But, I agree with Bill.  I liked the look before.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Simon Holt

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »
RJ,

The ground is really linksy- we are right next door to Muirfield, so it drains an absolute treat.  We do have drains under some bunkers though.

Simon

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 09:44:40 AM »
Re-revetting the Cottage Bunker at the 15th hole of The Old Course:

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back