News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Watts

Pecan Valley Closing
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
Saw this on Shackelford's site and it ruined my day (well, maybe not ruined, but made it less good).  I played Pecan Valley many many years ago.  It was a tough layout, as the number of balls I contributed to the course will attest, but a lot of fun.

I'm curious about what can be done to save courses like this one?  Hard to pass around a hat for donations when you're talking about that much money, and municipalities are not generally in financial shape to swoop in and save the day.

Does it take a new company coming in and seeing an opportunity where others don't?  And if so, are there golf companies that are in good enough shape now to do that?

Would love insight from the experts.

By the way, here's the link to the local story:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Pecan-Valley-set-to-close-on-Sunday-2439277.php

Matt_Cohn

Re: Pecan Valley Closing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:12:05 PM »
What the hell. I played in the Publinks there. That is such a good golf course.

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:15:34 PM »
I played it shortly after they hosted the Publinks and thought the same thing. 

I did have some friends play there in the next couple of years based on my recommendation and they came back with reports of deteriorating conditioning and horrible customer service.  That was many years ago so I have no idea whether or not those problems were fixed.

Sam Morrow

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 05:22:36 AM »
It's particularly poignant when we lose courses that have been good enough to host Majors. It got me wondering; is anyone on this forum keeping a headcount of former Major venues that have disappeared?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back