News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ivan Morris

Re: A Fan's Photo Tribute to Lahinch - New 12th Green Photos Added
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »
Patrick - It's certainly the best first tee - but the best first hole is 20-miles away at Doonbeg! Loved the old photos of Miss Pim & Co in action.
Talking about murder mysteries, I'd like to murder the committee who bulldozed the former 3rd hole into oblivion BEFORE the members could vote on the matter. I knew John Burke well but never discussed with him the ins and outs of his captaincy and what changes he made, or didn't make. With Burke as my guide, I was on a mission to find the perfect swing.   

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »
Patrick - It's certainly the best first tee - but the best first hole is 20-miles away at Doonbeg! Loved the old photos of Miss Pim & Co in action.
Talking about murder mysteries, I'd like to murder the committee who bulldozed the former 3rd hole into oblivion BEFORE the members could vote on the matter. I knew John Burke well but never discussed with him the ins and outs of his captaincy and what changes he made, or didn't make. With Burke as my guide, I was on a mission to find the perfect swing.   
Ivan - I might argue with you on the "best first tee" also... I'll take Portmarnock's (incidentally there was a proposal - not yet fully thrown out unfortunately - to relocate the back tee as an island in the estuary - can you imagine?).... As for Lahinch, still trying to track down as much info from that 1928 - 1935 period... The minutes seemed to suggest that the president of the day may have had as much if not more influence on the changes as John Burke did... Shed any light?

Sean_A

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »
The tee area certainly didn't charm me.  There are two rather drab modern buildings and a driveway hemming in the tee box.  I much prefer Portstewart's even if the hole isn't as good as the hype. 

Thinking on it, charming first tees are quite unusual. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Michael Ryan

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2013, 03:24:45 PM »
What a great thread.  Happy to say that I'm in the process of finalizing a trip in May that will include my return to Lahinch.  Last played in 2000, so looking forward to playing some new holes as well as experiencing this course in a different context-in the 13 years between visits, my knowledge of GCA has expanded immensely. 

Mike

Doug Siebert

« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
Patrick - I've been a member at Lahinch since 1967 and even when the wind blows straight up the 1st hole. I have never, ever, thought about the first hole as an easy way to start a round - far from it. Whenever I manage to par it, I give a big sigh of relief. I'd consider a birdie to be like stealing. There was a time when the second hole was relatively easy but not any more it ain't. Lahinch is a great test of golf from first to last without being perfect in every way.

I have only played it twice, and never with the wind directly with me, but for my part I think it would be MORE difficult with the wind.  It is difficult enough gauging the distance on (what would be for me) an unfamiliar hole where you can't see the surface of the green, but add a strong following wind and it would be nearly impossible, and even if you got it right it would be quite difficult to stop the ball on the green.  The first into the wind is no picnic, but at least you don't have to be quite so precise on the distance for the approach - and a tee shot that gets away from you doesn't penalize you too harshly.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2013, 02:32:43 AM »
If I had to make par I think the 1st at Lahinch would be near the bottom of the list of openers I'd choose. Wicked tough 4. Great start to a great round.

Dornoch's 1st tee is pretty charming for me.

I wish those 2 courses were a little closer together.

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »
Chris,

You and me both - I can't believe that I still have not made it to Dornoch. Hopefully rectify that this year.

Regards,

Patrick

Mike Sweeney

Re: A Fan's Photo Tribute to Lahinch - New 12th Green Photos Added New
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2019, 01:03:55 AM »
With The Irish Open coming to Lahinch in a month, I wanted to pull this thread back up. What a fantastic place, course, and club. Absolutely loved it, and here is my son on the majestic par 3 11th on the corner of the property opposite the clubhouse:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:54:15 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back