News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: The Quarries of CLEEVE HILL: 2023-24 Winter Tour
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2024, 05:12:52 AM »
Well well. Hasn’t Cleeve hit the big time. I see CDP have been appointed by the club.
Ciao
Well, at least they won't be cutting down any trees.
One would hope a few trees go by the 4th tee, but not THE tree.
Ciao
Ah yes, the trees by the 4th tee do overhang the tee. Mind maybe the 4th tee won’t be there in the future!? :) :) :)
Atb

I am hoping CDP keep it simple and redevelop the bunker scheme.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Mike Worth

« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2024, 09:51:14 AM »
Well well. Hasn’t Cleeve hit the big time. I see CDP have been appointed by the club.
Ciao
Ciao
Ah yes, the trees by the 4th tee do overhang the tee. Mind maybe the 4th tee won’t be there in the future!? :) :) :)
Atb

Ciao

do you think they may tweak any of the following holes: 1, 11, 18?  definitely 18

but your sentiment is spot on that they should do something simple

Sean_A

« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2024, 02:02:07 AM »
Ciao
Ciao
Atb

Ciao

do you think they may tweak any of the following holes: 1, 11, 18?  definitely 18

but your sentiment is spot on that they should do something simple

I don’t know what the Trust will allow. That said,  don’t see any real issues with 18.

Ciao

John Mayhugh

« Reply #178 on: July 18, 2024, 01:11:43 PM »
I think CDP will be a good choice. In some hands, that course layout improvement goal would be scary. From Cleeve's Instagram page:

During this initial phase we have been working hard to improve the course and are pleased with the progress made on the agronomy across the site, especially the greens. We are now keen to take advice from CDP on some of the other elements including the bunkers and tees ahead of making improvements to these areas.

We have also asked CDP to use all their creative experience and vision to provide concepts on how the course layout could be improved. This will be an exciting exercise and we cannot wait to see what the wonderful landscape could offer in regard to the routing. Rest assured that we will not be rushing into any major changes and will continue to work closely with the Cleeve Common Trust as we aim to future proof the golf club.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2024, 08:14:32 AM »
Sheep and sand bunkers do not go well together. When I played at Cleeve a few years back as first person on the course, there were half a dozen sheep huddled together  in the first's greenside bunker. The bunker is any way poorly placed, blocking a rolling shot from the side slope.

My suggestion, turf all the bunkers to provide more playing options and reduce maintenance.

A sweep on each tee and green would be useful to remove sheep droppings.

I love sheep golf, baah

Sean_A

« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2024, 08:24:45 AM »
Sheep and sand bunkers do not go well together. When I played at Cleeve a few years back as first person on the course, there were half a dozen sheep huddled together  in the first's greenside bunker. The bunker is any way poorly placed, blocking a rolling shot from the side slope.

My suggestion, turf all the bunkers to provide more playing options and reduce maintenance.

A sweep on each tee and green would be useful to remove sheep droppings.

I love sheep golf, baah

I think of the bunker on 1 making it difficult for those out of position on the right. It’s a keeper imo. If anything, I would make it tougher. For those who know, it’s quite possible to swing a shot right of the bunker with a chance to bounce left onto the green.

Ciao

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2024, 08:34:25 AM »
We'll have to agree to differ on this one.
One of my pet hates is the blocking of the option of using a slope to feed into a greeApart from reducing the variety of shots available, the blocking of recovery shots only favours the good players in a better position.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2024, 01:33:05 PM »
I'm with Sean on the bunker on 1.  It's a par 5. You can use the slope but you have to skirt past the bunker to get to use it. If you've left yourself with a bad approach angle, I don't know why the hole should be made easier. I don't understand the mention of "recovery shots" being blocked. You just have to hit a really good one if you're in the wrong place.

Buck Wolter

Re: The Quarries of CLEEVE HILL: CDP Engaged
« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2024, 08:40:20 AM »
Saw on IG that there is a course walk/BBQ here on Sept 14 with Sam Cooper and Joe McDonnell from CDP
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Ben Stephens

Re: The Quarries of CLEEVE HILL: CDP Engaged
« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2024, 09:35:46 AM »
Saw on IG that there is a course walk/BBQ here on Sept 14 with Sam Cooper and Joe McDonnell from CDP

Noted it on social media looks like proposals to change holes 1 and 2 (fairway higher up and to a new green)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back