News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brandon Urban

New Member Introduction
« on: August 24, 2011, 11:11:49 PM »
Hello GCAers. I just wanted to introduce myself and thank Ran for allowing me to participate.

My name is Brandon Urban and I live in Lawrence, KS... yes, I am a proud Jayhawk (at least when it comes to basketball!).
I am 34 years old, married to a great wife and have three great kids.

I didn't really start playing golf until college, but of course was immediately hooked. I didn't really become interested in architecture until about 2004 when I saw pictures of Sand Hills for the first time. I jumped on this site to do some research and have been visiting this DG group just about every day since. I finally got the courage to join in on the discussion and here I am.

I haven't had the chance to play a ton of great courses, but the ones I have played I absolutely love. The best being Ballyneal and Prairie Dunes. I love the way these fantastic courses are popping up all over the Great Plains where I have lived my whole life.

I am looking forward to participating and hope you all go easy on me!
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Your taste in golf courses is definitely better than your taste in basketball teams.  Welcome.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:39:34 PM »
Welcome, Brandon.

If you've played Ballyneal and Prairie Dunes, you've already experienced more than enough architecture to justify your jumping in and popping off about almost anything you want! 

Peter   

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 02:32:56 AM »
Brandon,

Welcome from this Scottish golfing tragic living Downunder. Seven long years before you committed yourself!  At least you are well acquainted with "the parcel of rogues" that inhabit this weird but wonderful world.

That Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas area looks as though it is going to be golfing heaven and really complement the Bandon complex. The two courses you mention would be very high on my list of "have-to-play" courses.  Yer a lucky lad to be living in the area and have the opportunity.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 06:13:41 AM »
Welcome!
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:33:10 AM »
Welcome Brandon!  What are some courses in your area that you enjoy but are not discussed much here?

Brandon Urban

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.
Kyle~ I figured I would get that from the Illini guys. Don't worry, I'm used to it.
Jason~ Great question... I think the NE Kansas area has some really fun golf. I'll try to keep it short.

Lawrence: After a lifetime of public golf, I finally jumped in and joined Lawrence Country Club which has been around since 1914 and renovated about four years ago by Todd York. It's a typical parkland layout with some good elevation change, good par threes, and a fun driveable par four... I really enjoy it on a day to day basis.
Eagle Bend is the local muni (Brauer design). I have played it a ton and really enjoy it. Good mix of holes on relatively flat land with good greens. They have made it play a little tougher lately, by narrowing the fairway width which, IMO, was not the best of decisions. It really takes away some of the strayegy off of the tee.

Kansas City: I love Prairie Highlands (Schreiner design) with its' wide fairways and big greens and chipping areas. Good risk/reward holes and a couple of fun short par fours.
Swope Memorial is very good Tilinghast design up on top of a hill in the middle of KC. Short, quirky, and fun.

In the area: Colbert Hills (Brauer/Colbert) should be played at least once. It has big fairways and greens and is worth the time for the vistas of the Flint Hills. It is cart golf, but a TON of fun with a bunch of heroic shots.
Chisholm Trail in Abilene, KS: pretty much designed and built by a farmer on his tractor and now owned by a company that includes it in its' club of ten or so courses. It sits on some rolling dunes like property and is just pure golf.

There are a bunch more but I feel like I rambled a bit... I would be happy to discuss any of them more in depth.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:30:27 AM »
Welcome to the treehouse, Brandon.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:49:09 AM »
Brandon,

Welcome! I'm just down the road in Manhattan. I'll agree with you on NE KS haveing some pretty decent (and cheap) golf. As for the basketball... all I'll admit to is that one of my top sporting experiences was courtside seats at an early season KU - Michigan St. game about 8-10 years ago when both were ranked in the top 10. Allen Fieldhouse has to be experienced with that kind of atmosphere at least once. The best part was getting to chat with coach Williams later that night and all he wanted to talk about was his golf game!

Drop me a note if you want to come over and play Colbert Hills sometime this fall. We can compare notes on some of the area courses and I need every excuse I can get to play.

- Daryn Soldan

Brandon Urban

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 11:43:22 AM »
Daryn,

I completely agree about Allen. If you are a sports fan (even one who cheers for the Illini, Kyle) you have to take in a game there. The place oozes history. The best game I have seen there was my freshman year in '95 when UCLA came to visit. KU was down 15 at the half and came back to win... I couldn't even hear myself yelling it was so loud in that barn.

I will take you up on the Colbert offer... I try to get over there at least once every fall.

John_Cullum

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 12:51:14 PM »
How do we know you are not really John K Moore?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 01:24:54 PM »
Thanks Brandon.  Have you ever played a course called Shadow Glen?  I know nothing about it but the website looked nice.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 01:32:30 PM »
Welcome, Brandon.

At the Twins' latest miserable excuse for a game, last night, my seat-neighbor (and host) was telling me about his and his wife's drive through Kansas recently. He was singing the praises of the beauty of the rolling hills of the Flint Hills region. Are both Prairie Dunes and Flint Hills National in the Flint Hills? Are people in Kansas looking north to Nebraska and thinking: "There's gold in these-here hills!"? Is there a Kansas Golf Trail? Could there be?

So many questions. Answer all or none!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Terry Lavin

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 01:40:16 PM »
As your attorney, I advise you to change your last name to "Dunes" and you'll get along fine with everybody hereabouts.

JK, welcome to the loonybin.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
As your attorney, I advise you to change your last name to "Dunes" and you'll get along fine with everybody hereabouts.

JK, welcome to the loonybin.

Audible laughs there Terry:

"Brandon Dunes"....its perfect!!  ;D

Brandon Urban

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 03:59:24 PM »
Jason~ Funny you should ask. I actually have the opportunity to play Shadow Glen in late September. I am really looking forward to it as I have not heard a bad thing about the course. I will be happy to give out the details after my visit.

Dan~ Myself being a lifelong Royals fan, I don't think anybody but us and Pirates fans can talk about bad baseball... especially the Twins who have been putting it to my team for quite a few years. The Flint Hills is a beautiful area... just miles upon miles of big, rolling hills of pastureland and native grasses. Prairie Dunes isn't really located in the Flint Hills... Probably just a little to the west of them. PD actually sits on an area of unbelievable sand dunes that stretches for quite a ways in central KS. I have never been to Scotland, but if you dropped me at PD I would think I was there.
There's not really a KS golf trail, but there is the land for it. The problem, like Nebraska, is that there really isn't the population or economic base to support it. For example, Faldo designed a course, Cottonwood Hills, just down the road from PD. t was open for maybe two years and had to close up shop. I really enjoyed the place... it was no PD, but it was fun golf on land that us Kansans aren't used to. Granted, it was based on housing and built at the wrong time, but it just doesn't seem viable to build courses here right now. I sure wish it was... maybe someday.

Terry~ Funny. I have a postcard from  Bandon hanging in my office reminding me of my hopeful visit someday. When my 8 year old first saw it she said "daddy, if they had named that place Brandon Dunes it would be the coolest place ever!"

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 04:38:46 PM »
What does "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" really mean?
Mr Hurricane

Dan Kelly

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
There's not really a KS golf trail, but there is the land for it. The problem, like Nebraska, is that there really isn't the population or economic base to support it.

Isn't that exactly what THEY all said to Mike Keiser?

If there were ONE great public course in Kansas, hardly anyone would travel to it.

If there were HALF A DOZEN great public courses, in one wide-open but relatively confined area, Kansas could become a destination.

One of these days, the economic-development officials in one of the prairie states will get smart and GO FOR IT.

IMO.

P.S. Of course, you're dead-on right about the Royals and the Twins. We've been spoiled here. It's painful to watch the Twins play like the Royals!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Brandon Urban

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »
I totally agree with you Dan. Somebody just has to come along that has the cajones to do it.

Jim~ I hear that question alot. Here's the explanation from the KU website. It does a better job than me of explaining.

KU's world famous Rock Chalk Chant evolved from a cheer that a chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey, created for the KU science club in 1886. Bailey's version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. The rahs were later replaced by "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus.

The cheer became known worldwide. Teddy Roosevelt pronounced it the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. Legend has it that troops used the chant when fighting in the Philippines in 1899, in the Boxer Rebellion in China, and in World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back