News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Please vote for your favorite. You have till EOD Sunday. Anyone can vote, not just people who have played the holes. What I do ask of people who have played either of the holes is to advocate strongly (or speak against it) why you believe this hole deserves some love.

Happy voting!

Richard Choi

Huntley Division, #8 Seed, Mountaintop, Hole #11, 189 yards

And while I'm at it, here's a modern interpretation of the redan at the Tom Fazio designed Mountaintop in Cashiers, NC.  At first I didn't like how subtle the 'kick' short-right of the green is, since this is a clear departure from a traditional redan.  However, as I thought about it more, I realized the hole was likely designed in this manner because of the firm and fast nature of the golf course.  In another thread the question was asked whether fast greens have rendered traditional redans unplayable.  I suppose the answer in modern architecture is to make the kick more subtle.

Richard Choi

Huntley Division, #9 Seed, Glen Mills, Hole #14, 161 yards

Mark Saltzman

Mountaintop.

Played em both.  I really like the 8th at MT.  The course is designed to play firm and fast.  The hole is a great modern interpretation of the redan and the more subtle kick has the same effect of the dramatic kicker on many older courses.  I think this is how redans would look on many older golf courses if the ODGs knew the type of speeds at which their greens would eventually be played.

Bill Brightly

Mountaintop

Ronald Montesano

mountaintop
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

Glen Mills.

Like the look of the hole and how its tucked into that corner...even if its not a traditional looking Redan.

Phil McDade

Mountaintop; it looks like it would (or has the potential to) play more like a tradition Redan. At Glen Mills, most of the trouble is fronting the green approach, suggesting an all-aerial approach all the time. And the trouble dug into the left side of the green -- lots of rocks and boulders, bordering a deep chasm, is too penal for a missed shot to a pin back left on this green. (This, to me, is less of a Redan than Lawsonia's 4th, for those following some of the debate ongoing on the Midwest Mashie thread...)

mike_malone

I love Glen Mills and its set of 5 par threes. However, I think #14 is too short to be a Redan candidate.
AKA Mayday

Andy Hodson

MT Top

PCCraig

I haven't played either, but I like the look of Glen Mills a lot.

Glen Mills.
H.P.S.

Jason Baran

Glen Mills

Richard Choi

6 -3 Mountaintop. Still time for Glen Mills.

Richard Choi

Game over Moutaintop moves on to meet NGLA #4!

JNC Lyon

Don't have a vote here, but isn't Fazio's 8th at Galloway National a Redan as well?  I think the better question is, was he actually trying to imitate the Redan when he built these holes, are did he just get lucky?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mark McKeever

Mountaintop

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Richard Choi

Mark, the game is over... :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back