News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Mason Rudolph: 1934 - 2011
« on: April 19, 2011, 02:37:39 PM »
Clarksville, Tennessee's Mason Rudolph died yesterday at the age of 76.  A gentleman by all acounts, his most unique golf accomplishment was playing in the U.S. Open at Merion Golf Club at the age of 16.  He was the PGA Tour's 1959 rookie of the year and recorded 5 wins and 95 top ten finishes on the tour.  He was also a member of the 1971 Ryder Cup team.  Most impressive in my opinion is the fact that he made 402 of 432 cuts during his tour career - an incredible 93%.  

What I most remember about Mr. Rudolph was the fact that he sent me one of the popular Amana baseball caps at Dad's request when I was in high school.  

I have read a fascinating account of an exhibition match at Jackson Country Club where a young Rudolph partnered with Ben Hogan against two top amateurs.  I'll try looking that up and posting.

A legitimate legend in Tennessee.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JMEvensky

Re: Mason Rudolph: 1934 - 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »
The Hogan/Rudolph story is on page 103 of Gene Pearce's book but I don't know how to copy it.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:02 PM »
Thanks JME.  I'll  look it up this evening and try to summarize later.   BTW, that is a fantastic book and we're very fortunate that it was produced. 

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 03:10:50 PM »

Thanks JME.  I'll  look it up this evening and try to summarize later.   BTW, that is a fantastic book and we're very fortunate that it was produced. 

Mike

+1000.

If you've never met him,he's a great guy.He did the research on his own and wouldn't accept any money for his time until the TGA finally made him take something to cover his expenses.

I think he won a USGA award for the book.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »
Bogey:

Believe MR was the 3rd USGA Jr Champ -- played in the final the year prior to winning the event - losing to Gay Brewer.

RIP ...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »
Got to meet him at Opryland when it opened, as they made him some kind of pro/teacher/course representative.  Yes, a true southern gentleman.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

jim_lewis

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
I think there was  a time when Mason held the record for consecutive birdies at the Masters. I think the number might have been 6.
His oldest son, Mason, Jr. worked for me at one time and was an excellent salesman and golfer. Another son, whose name I don't recall, was a professional golfer and was once invited by Arnie to play in his Bay Hill tournament. He played quite well and was on TV on Saturday. I suspected that he was invited because of Arnie's friendship with has dad. Later he was a club pro in Charlotte. Sadly, he and 2 or 3 friends were killed in a helicopter crash when returning home from a NASCAR race in Charlotte. They had won the chopper ride in some kind of contest.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

JMEvensky

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:40:19 PM »
I think there was  a time when Mason held the record for consecutive birdies at the Masters. I think the number might have been 6.
His oldest son, Mason, Jr. worked for me at one time and was an excellent salesman and golfer. Another son, whose name I don't recall, was a professional golfer and was once invited by Arnie to play in his Bay Hill tournament. He played quite well and was on TV on Saturday. I suspected that he was invited because of Arnie's friendship with has dad. Later he was a club pro in Charlotte. Sadly, he and 2 or 3 friends were killed in a helicopter crash when returning home from a NASCAR race in Charlotte. They had won the chopper ride in some kind of contest.

It was his son Craig who was killed.There's a strong junior tournament in his memory.I thought it was his son Griff who played Bay Hill as a pro,but my memory is pretty much shot.

Steve Kline

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:38:27 PM »
Mason was my coach for the two and half years I played at Vandy. I had a love-hate relationship with him. Away from golf he was a gentleman and very nice man. Also, once I proved I was capable of playing, he helped me learn how to play a cut and work the ball all around the golf course. He also really tried to instill confidence in me since that was always the one thing I lacked. Unfortunately, Mason wasn't much of a manager. Some things left me with some hard feelings and was part of the reason I didn't finish out my career. Sorry to hear about the loss to his friends and family. Even in his sixties you could tell he was a great golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back