News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Turner

New Zealand (West Byfleet)
« on: February 05, 2002, 08:39:07 PM »
Has anyone played this heath course built by Simpson?  Here are some old photos for interest (thanks RT)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mark_Huxford

Re: New Zealand (West Byfleet)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2002, 11:27:02 PM »

Paul, I remember something about that course in Tom MacWood's epic Art and Crafts Golf piece on this site. I made a note of it because of the name and the fact that it's in England and not the country New Zealand (where I live)  :)

Maybe Tom can shed some light on it and tell us why they called it New Zealand. Great bunkering work.

Neil Crafter

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2002, 01:19:10 AM »
Paul
I have Sutton's book "Golf Courses- Design, Construction and Upkeep" from which these photos are taken - they too have intrigued me for some time. Simpson wrote the chapter on course design for the book and no doubt arranged for some photos of one of his courses to be published therein.

The course is rated by Tom Doak as a 5 as it is quite short but with some interesting bunkering. I too am keen to see if the bunkering has retained any of the character shown in the photos. I have been considering publishing a review of this course in our next edition of "Golf Architecture" magazine on the basis of these "old" photos and Russell Talley of European Golf Design is currently making some enquiries (his office is just down the street apparently) about the course. I'd be interested to hear from any GCA'ers who may have played here recently as to their thoughts on the course too. Thanks for bringing these photos to the site.
cheers
Neil

Jack (Guest)

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2002, 04:07:05 AM »
I played New Zealand GC about 5 years ago and enjoyed it very much. I played with a friend who is a member, one of only around 150 members and the place is a little like going back in time. The lockers have the members names painted on the front and when that member dies a line is scored through and the next member put in below. It really is dead mans shoes getting in there.

As for the course it is well worth playing. A little short and the condition can vary. It is a members course for the members and they seem to have little interest in attracting visitors although many friends have played it midweek having phoned or written to the secretary. They also encourage 2 balls or foursomes and frown on the favoured fourball!

The course is wooded in a similar way to Sunningdale, relatively generous fairways, a good amount of thick heathland heather with the trees set well back. The bunkering is good and the course interesting if a little quirky. I seem to remember a number of par 4's downhill with greens running front to back again similar to 2nd at Sunningdale Old.

I thoroughly enjoyed it but take it for what it is.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2002, 04:20:11 AM »
Mark
I'm not sure why it is named for your home country? I do know it was one of the more famous early designs from around the turn of the century - famous for being one of the first courses (if not the first) cut through trees - I believe it pre-dates Swinley Forest. It was attributed to some guy named Muir-Ferguson, who wrote a chapter in Hutchison's Greenkeeping and Design book devoted to the designing of courses in the trees. Simpson completely redesigned it in the early 30's and was/is considered among his greatest designs.

Mike Clayton

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2002, 11:17:03 PM »
I played it maybe 10 times -probably last in 1996.Terrific little course-6100 yds maybe but fun.
Neil
I have a bunch of photos Bruce Grant took when we were last there.Obviously you are welcome to use them

A member told me the story of the name of the club-which I have largely forgotten- except that it was a really obscure connection with NZ. I may well be wrong but it was something like the founder went to live in NZ.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2002, 02:00:33 PM »
The Secretary at Woking GC was unabashed in his praise for nearby New Zealand and told me that "if you really like Woking, you'll really like New Zealand as well."

George Blunt in Australia has played there on several occasions and has always spoken highly of it. I'll email him and see if he can't add some specifics to your query, Paul.

Neil Crafter

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2002, 01:10:23 AM »
Mike
Thanks for that offer and the feedback about the course at NZGC. You would have lived not far from there, Bagshot if I recall correctly, so not surprising that you have played it a fair bit. Russell Talley is in the process of contacting the club to get their permission to visit the course, photograph it and review it for our magazine - good to know that people think that it is a course worth bringing to more people's attention. Mike, please email me at golfstra@senet.com.au as I'd like to arrange to get a copy of the magazine over to you.
cheers
Neil

Mike Clayton

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2002, 01:26:36 AM »
Greg Turners version of the origion of the name is that one of NZ 's first Governor Generals was English and when he moved back to England after his stint in the colonies he had the course built on his estate.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back