News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Brazil 2016 Golf course Design decision
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
Steve:

There's a site.  That's public knowledge.

However, I won't be able to say anything more about this process, for a long while.  I've just received the first official communique -- it's a Deed of Non-Disclosure, which forbids any of the candidate architects to say anything about the process until December 31, 2016!

So, everyone can keep me in your thoughts and prayers [or not!], but I hope you'll refrain from undue speculation, because I won't be able to say a darned thing about it without risking my chance at the job -- and financial penalties!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »

Is saying I'll do it for free manipulation? There are many things I'll do for free, even pay to do.

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 04:22:02 PM »
I guess I should also go on record right now and declare that I'll waive my design fees as well to do it for free!!   ;D

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 04:37:12 PM »
Regardless of whether one of GCA's favorite sons gets the job or not, it seems that this would be a nice opportunity for the world to see what's been going on in golf course design over the past 2 decades and not simply give it to one of the big name player/poseurs...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »

Is having designed a major championship course a pre you know?

Anthony

Howard Riefs

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:11:01 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »
I wonder why any of the better known architects would do it for free. A little guy, who struggles to get consignments, would obviously sell his grandmother to get the Olympic job, but why those who are already successful and have no financial worries? A Nicklaus doesn't need the Olympics, neither economically, nor for his legacy. I would say most of the architects, who are in this with a realistic chance to get the job, do not need it. Is it a once in a lifetime opportunity because of the great site? Doesn't appear to be the case.

Wow, they make you sign a blanket NDA without you knowing what it actually is you are not allowed to talk about. And then, presumably, they could tell you after you signed that this thing is decided by sacrificing a virgin or something :)

For the good of the game? Hardly.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Randy Thompson

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 07:18:24 PM »
I think the 300,000 is a great idea and fair. Nobody should do it for free, it will make money before the olympics and also after the olympics, so why donate everything to put more money in some other person when yours are empty. I hope they are really going to make this a fair contest and that the design firm has not already been confirmed and they do this just to go through the motions. Good luck Tom, I hope you get it and I hope it ends up being a worth while effort and fun! I am surprized they didn´t put a budget amount attached to the course or at least an estimate. Some firms have much more experience at deliivering high quality at a reasonable price while others find there confort zone in high $´s.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:26:15 PM by Randy Thompson »

Jud_T

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »
I wonder why any of the better known architects would do it for free. A little guy, who struggles to get consignments, would obviously sell his grandmother to get the Olympic job, but why those who are already successful and have no financial worries? A Nicklaus doesn't need the Olympics, neither economically, nor for his legacy. I would say most of the architects, who are in this with a realistic chance to get the job, do not need it. Is it a once in a lifetime opportunity because of the great site? Doesn't appear to be the case.

Ulrich

Ulrich,

I'm not sure you're entirely correct.  While the name guys may not be sweating their next mortgage payment, for some (minimalists in particular) it would be a chance to prove they could build a course that would challenge the best in the world yet be a fun and interesting course for the rest of us and thus potentially open up a whole new clientele for them.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 07:49:51 PM »
Its a big time job no matter how you slice it.
The design fee can easily be increased through construction supervision/over site...

Even if a designer only makes the 300K, its a huge marketing bonanza to say you won the Olympic design contest. Lots of hype during the games, world wide press, and a foothold in an emerging market.
I'm guessing every big name will be fighting for this job.

The site is named on some of the press releases. Hopefully we can all have a look at it soon. Should we do a GCA entry into the design contest :D

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »
That/there is a lot of paperwork....
Just think for the Faldo idea, every major winner would get $16K (per hole).
Maybe I'll sign the NDA and share everything I find with the treehouse.  :)
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »
Does any think Donald Trump would like in on this action??  I would think so.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 09:25:37 PM »
Golf is under the microscope for the olympics, this has to be a sucsess for golf to continue be a part of the games in the future. Combine this with the fact that Brazil will be under the world spot light and like somebody once told me, there not going to take a chance of another, Cog Hill! IMHO, there are four serious possible candidates and if they really want to make the course accessible to the local market afterwards then they need a course construction budget between three and four million dollars. Two of the possible four have no experience in constructing quality products in that price range, so that drop us down to two serious candidates. Of course this formula does not consider Political bullshit and if you add that it in, than that throws it up for grabs again. But I am hearing some positive stuff, which could keep out a lot of the politics out or at least keep it to a minimum. I am gonna go on record and give them the benefit of the doubt and state that they will contract a good firm and politics will be kept out. Ok with that said, I am gonna go to bed now, I am trying to be good because Santa comes in nine more weeks! ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:15:25 AM by Randy Thompson »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »
Come on Randy. Everyone knows Santa's sleigh can't operate in the summer without snow.

Can anyone get a topo of the Olympic site for the Mother of all Armchair Architect Contests?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
Isn't it perverse that it wasn't already in for London 2012? I am sure they could have found some dog track or other capable of hosting it near by ;D

Tim Nugent

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »
...JN for free---give me a break, I am sure he used something like design fee for free but I don´t see him paying for his own Gas for his plane to devlope this project. Don´t see him delegating and not making any visits like he does on his other non signature International projects. I bet with this much exposure and marketing potential, he could set a new record and actually make more than five visits. Anybody out there have a jet like his and can give us a fuel price guess for five or more visits. I would guess more than 250,000 dollars. Do you really see him coughing up that and than let some developer fill his pockets afterwards because of the JN branding name.

Randy, don't confuse FEE with REIMBURSABLE EXPENSE -  ;D

Plus, does Jack really need any more exposure? I do like the competition though.  I's kinda like when McCain got Palen to offset the possiblity of an Obama/Hillary ticket.  Jack get AS - to make it an international team and Greg goes one up by getting the most famous women golfer from south of America.  Grsnted, neither one really has any experience in golf course design but let's not let that little fact get in the way.
Coasting is a downhill process

Randy Thompson

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 01:30:05 PM »
Tim,
Also Gary Player teaming up with Cabrera, another with no design experience but...its in the committees hands now!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 11:01:52 PM »
Tim and Randy,

Jack and Annika; Greg and Lorena; Gary and Angel. Please tell me they are competing for the next job at The Villages!
Please tell me they are not going after anything serious.  :-\
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Howard Riefs

Re: Brazil 2016 Golf course Design decision New
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 09:48:17 AM »
The process for selecting the Olympics course design is off to a grand start. AP reports:

The deadline for bids to design the golf course for the 2016 Rio Olympics has been extended because none of those submitted so far included the proper legal and financial documentation. ... The new deadline to submit documentation was not disclosed, but organizers said it is unlikely that the winner will be announced by Dec. 23 as originally planned.

In the immortal words of Rick Perry: "Oops."

Sorry, Tom, looks like Christmas in Rio is on hold.

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/nov/09/rio-organizers-extend-olympic-course-deadline/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:50:37 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 09:50:14 AM »
Delete duplicate

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back