News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Arata

Houston Golf
« on: March 07, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »
Hey, I need to take some people out to play in Houston the weekend of the final four......and since I havent lived there in 10 years, I need some suggestions please...

1) They are not likely to play more than 100 a player
2) they dont really care about GCA
3) We wont have time to drive 2 hours to play...... staying down by reliant park, convention center area..

Does anyone know if you can make tee times at Memorial Park this far in advance? That is about the only course I can recall close by the area that isnt private....

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Mark McKeever

Re: Houston Golf
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »
Memorial Park Golf Course is always a good choice.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 03:08:11 PM »
Mark,

Tee times at Memorial Park are done through a lottery system.  You can sign up for an account to enter the system here...

www.memorialparkgolf.com

This is the guide to when you can enter the lottery for a specific date...

Desired Date of Play Lottery Entry Time Range
Monday Tuesday 12:00am to Friday 6:00am
Tuesday Wednesday 12:00am to Saturday 6:00am (Memorial Park closed)
Wednesday Thursday 12:00am to Sunday 6:00am
Thursday Friday 12:00am to Monday 6:00am
Friday Saturday 12:00am to Tuesday 6:00am
Saturday Sunday 12:00am to Wednesday 6:00am
Sunday Monday 12:00am to Thursday 6:00am

Other options (drive time from Reliant Stadium)...

Wildcat Golf Club - http://www.wildcatgolfclub.com/ (10 Minutes)
Meadowbrook Farms Golf Club - www.meadowbrookfarmsgolfclub.com (35 Minutes)
Blackhorse Golf Club - www.blackhorsegolfclub.com (40 Minutes)
Cypresswood Golf Club - www.cypresswood.com (45 Minutes)

None of those courses are as good as Memorial Park.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »
High Meadow Ranch is pretty solid-probably 80-100 for a round. Good movement to the holes as well. Solid Doak 5 or so.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:43:11 PM »
Mark,

The Wilderness would be not more than 45 minutes from Reliant area, maybe an hour tops, right down 288. Their website has an out of towners coupon for $43 weekday, $53 weekend.  Memorial is good, but this may be worth a try.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
High Meadow Ranch is pretty solid-probably 80-100 for a round. Good movement to the holes as well. Solid Doak 5 or so.

Plus you can visit with Casey Wade and Sam Morrow, fellow GCAers, in the pro shop!

It's an hour from Reliant but very good course in a quiet woodsy setting when you get there.

And agree with Jeff, The Wilderness is also fun and probably less traffic to negotiate down to Lake Jackson.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
You can pay a little extra to secure a long lead Memorial Tee time once in the system - $10 a man.
That is my recommendation.

Wildcat would be very close to you and my second choice - the highlands course over the waterworld one.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mark Arata

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:09:11 PM »
Thanks, I was able to get 2 "premium" tee times for Friday morning at memorial.......the extra 15 was the Final Four gouge, er, fee.... :)

Wildcat is ok and very close, but they want 150 a round for final four weekend.....it isnt close to being worth that.....so we had to pass...

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.....

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 04:11:56 PM »
Thanks, I was able to get 2 "premium" tee times for Friday morning at memorial.......the extra 15 was the Final Four gouge, er, fee.... :)

Wildcat is ok and very close, but they want 150 a round for final four weekend.....it isnt close to being worth that.....so we had to pass...

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.....

That is criminal for Wildcat.  Memorial is easily on top of public golf near the city.  If you need anything else around town when you're here shoot me a message. 

Mark McKeever

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 04:13:12 PM »
Thats an insane rate for Wildcat.  Agreed.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:08:29 PM »
Mark let me know when you want to play and I will take you guys out to champions.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
Mark,

The Wilderness would be not more than 45 minutes from Reliant area, maybe an hour tops, right down 288. Their website has an out of towners coupon for $43 weekday, $53 weekend.  Memorial is good, but this may be worth a try.

It took me about 40 minutes from Reliant to The Wilderness a few weeks ago, I played at twilight for $25 which included cart and range balls. You could always go play Southwyck in Pearland, a Ken Kavanaugh course that was really good until they put houses on the paths.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »
Sam,

I think Wilderness is a good value. In a tough Houston market, they report play up by a few thousand rounds last year. I doubt many can say that.

BTW, I like Ken's Southwcke course, too.  Haven't played it in more than 8 years now.  No doubt it suffers as houses get built.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sam Morrow

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:10:47 PM »
Sam,

I think Wilderness is a good value. In a tough Houston market, they report play up by a few thousand rounds last year. I doubt many can say that.

BTW, I like Ken's Southwcke course, too.  Haven't played it in more than 8 years now.  No doubt it suffers as houses get built.

If I didn't live and work in Cypress I would spend all my time at The Wilderness.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back