News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Park

Thoughts on Tobacco Road
« on: February 10, 2002, 01:02:02 PM »
Just got home form a round a TR and came away very impressed- certainly much better than Tot Hill Farm.

Take the controversial first hole, it is a par 5 that has two blind shots- the first is through a notch in two huge mounds while the second is one over a broad and much lower hill.    After negotiating the blind shots, the third shot if improperly placed on the right side if the fairway must carry the two very large bunkers that guard the front right side to a green that runs away from you.  A very challenging and provocative hole.

Overall, the tee shots, approaches, short game and putting were all very well tested.  The biggest flaws in TR are that a long iron is never required for an approach and most of the par 3's are in the 150 - 175 yard range.  Some of this problem is due to pin placement as that a front pin on the medium length par 3, 14th makes it play much shorter, but as I said that is more a set up than a design issue.

Nevertheless, TR is an absolute blast to play.

SP
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Nick_Ficorelli

Re: Thoughts on Tobacco Road
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2002, 02:17:36 PM »
I would be interested to know of the conditioning...is it as hard to maintain as Stonehouse  for instance, the severity of some of the terrain seems to be difficult for mowing,bunker maintenance etc.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2002, 02:24:03 PM »

Tobacco Road and Mike Stranz always seem to evoke strong emotions, some like it and some hate it. I for one really liked the course, I think it falls into the looks hard play easy category, lots of blind shots, some very bold greens, some cool holes, some duds.  Definately makes you think about your shots though.  Mike certainly marches to a different drummer, it remains to be seen what his legacy will be.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2002, 08:42:43 PM »
Craig,

Amen.  I too thought it was a fun "ride" around the layout giving you a lot of different "looks" and ways too play.  I personally enjoy the thrill and excitement of the blind shots, and the wild undulations and natural sandy terrain made for an interesting walk as well.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2002, 12:29:22 AM »
Its funny this post is here because I had a conversation with a friend of mine about Tobacco Road at the weekend.

It is a while since I have seen him and over a couple of drinks we got onto "golf courses we would most like to play but have never been on".  

I told him that the course "I would most like to play" is rapidly becoming TR over all others.  He looked at me as if I had gone mad as he compiled his list of the usual suspects ie. August, Pebble etc.

My contention was that the "main" reason people want to play Augusta or Pebble Beach is that there is a certain thrill about walking in the footsteps of the great players - playing where Nicklaus clanged a one-iron against the pin at 17 etc or for bragging value - most are not turning up because of the design.

The difference with Tobacco Road is that I am just plain "intrigued" by all I have read - blind shots, quirky opening drive etc.

I think Strantz (and GCA for championing the course) deserve credit for creating something that has sparked so much debate whether you like the course or not.

Can't wait to get over to NC to play it.

Scott_Park

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2002, 05:45:03 AM »
THe conditioning of the course qas quite good with the exception that several of the tongues of grass that stretch out into a bunker/waste area has slid a bit due to the rain.

The short grass was very good, especially for Feb.

SP

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2002, 11:18:04 AM »
I had a lot of fun playing Tobacco Road.

That's an apt description - fun!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back